Thread: Hello! From Henderson NV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello! From Henderson NV

Hello everyone! My name is Raymond Mason and I am extremely interested in falconry. I don't currently at the time have a raptor of my own; however I am planing on getting into falconry whenever I can.

At the moment I am living in a sub town of Las Vegas. We have all kinds of desert critters around here. Once in a while I will see a hawk start making a circle and patrol an area. I really don't think I can take my raptor on regular hunts at the moment so that is what is stalling me for the time being. Since I know raptors need to be feed full animals that they would catch in the wild naturally everyday I thought about something; do you guys usually hunt and gather as much game as possible to last the raptor until the next weekend hunting? I think I am going to go that route.

I have a lot to learn, and I do not consider raptors as pets; I like to call them "Hunting Partners". I consider it a prilivage to be a part of their hunting activities. I hope to get to know you guys better and hopefully learn along the way.
    Raymond Mason

Default Welcome

to NAFEX!!

Enjoy the chaos.......
    Cooper Haynes

Welcome Ray! Sounds like you have an idea about the time commitment required, and good on you for waiting until the right time.
    I think you'll find a lot of the answers to your questions as you browse through these forums. There's a nice search feature that will pick out key words as well.

As far as feeding goes, some people can take enough game during the season to fill the freezer to feed their hawks. This is a little harder during the summer moult when your bird isn't hunting. You can also buy frozen food at websites like http://www.rodentpro.com or http://www.mikedupuyhawkfood.com
    Another option is to trap food (sparrows, etc.), and finally, you can choose to raise food (rats, quail, etc.), similar to the way some snake keepers do. So you see, there are a lot of options. The only option you WON'T really find is to run down to the pet store and buy a bag of hawk food. :P
    Good luck in your endeavors, welcome to our crazy world!
    ~~~Ally~~~ Missoula, MT
    If you dislike a person, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, you are a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally View Post
    Welcome Ray! Sounds like you have an idea about the time commitment required, and good on you for waiting until the right time.
    I think you'll find a lot of the answers to your questions as you browse through these forums. There's a nice search feature that will pick out key words as well.

As far as feeding goes, some people can take enough game during the season to fill the freezer to feed their hawks. This is a little harder during the summer moult when your bird isn't hunting. You can also buy frozen food at websites like http://www.rodentpro.com or http://www.mikedupuyhawkfood.com
    Another option is to trap food (sparrows, etc.), and finally, you can choose to raise food (rats, quail, etc.), similar to the way some snake keepers do. So you see, there are a lot of options. The only option you WON'T really find is to run down to the pet store and buy a bag of hawk food. :P
    Good luck in your endeavors, welcome to our crazy world!

Why thank you! I was thinking about just taking my rifle and go small game hunting. My hawk would be kept at home for the time I was out so I don't have to worry about it so much. The purpose was to gather enough food for it. Then try to keep it up with hunting with my hawk.

I contacted my local wildlife department and they are going to send me a list of falconers in my local area. Excited!
    Raymond Mason

Sounds like it
    Just one word of caution with shooting game animals--raptors are extremely sensitive, and lead poisoning is a HUGE concern when you're using bullets. Steel shot is your safest bet, but if you're using a rifle, a clean head shot and then removing the head is one of the only safe way to go.
    Good luck!
    ~~~Ally~~~ Missoula, MT
    If you dislike a person, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, you are a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

I may be a little behind these days but is falconry even going to be legal in Nevada after the first of the year?
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Raymond! Enjoy the learning process, this is too much fun!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thanks Harris! I am gonna give him a call tomorrow. ^_^
    Raymond Mason

Thread Information