Thread: Micro Tail-Springs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Micro Tail-Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Hi Gerry,

a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, I think I'm right in saying the actual tailmount for the micro is smaller than that for the powermax etc., so is it possible you're using the wrong mounts?
    I've had similar problems on rare occasions, when using a micro in conjunction with the wrong mount.

Secondly, I love the spring-clip on the powermax, and would be very happy if that same gauge were used across the board (it's so much better than anything else out there in my opinion), but I guess the micro is designed for use on merlins and other 'micro' hawks, where that weight/size saving is valuable.

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks for your thoughts Tony but I think you may be misunderstanding me with your first - the problem is with the spring becoming too sloppy with a little use and coming off the transmitter unit and not with the spring-clip coming out of the tail mount.

Secondly I wholeheartedly agree about the P-max tail-springs which are excellent. I would have thought that the weight issue would be negligible if Marshall upgraded to only a slightly thicker gauge wire as the P-max springs won't fit onto the Micro (I've tried!).

Gerry x
    Gerry Plant

Quote Originally Posted by sugezwolf View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts Tony but I think you may be misunderstanding me with your first - the problem is with the spring becoming too sloppy with a little use and coming off the transmitter unit and not with the spring-clip coming out of the tail mount.

Secondly I wholeheartedly agree about the P-max tail-springs which are excellent. I would have thought that the weight issue would be negligible if Marshall upgraded to only a slightly thicker gauge wire as the P-max springs won't fit onto the Micro (I've tried!).

Gerry x
    Sorry, yes, I'd misunderstood completely.

I must admit there have been times when I've wanted to use a micro, but have been thwarted because the tail mount has been of the powermax size.
    It would be great if they were interchangeable (I had considered using two tail mounts, one on each deck feather, to enable me to use either/or dependant on circumstances).

Regards,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Sorry, yes, I'd misunderstood completely.

I must admit there have been times when I've wanted to use a micro, but have been thwarted because the tail mount has been of the powermax size.
    It would be great if they were interchangeable (I had considered using two tail mounts, one on each deck feather, to enable me to use either/or dependant on circumstances).

Regards,

Tony.
    Tony-

More and more people are using the Micro on larger birds, hence, the creation of the "Micro-Medium" tail pieces, large enough to fit the larger quill but Micro sized receptacle on top.

While the Micro can fit in the regular sized tail pieces if you needed to in an emergency (no other options that day), it's not as ideal or secure.

So, it's a decision as to if one believes they will be switching between transmitters and want to keep the options open, or, if one has decided to be only using the Micro on the tail all season long. The right sized tail piece is the answer.

It's my belief that the ideal arrangement these days for two transmitters is a Turbo on the back as the primary, and the Micro on the tail as the low-impact backup. At only 3.5 grams with battery installed, flat low-profile design and short antenna, it's the safest option possible for a tail mount.

And for a number of reasons, the UHF is about 3x the power of it's 216 equivalent, so those are being discovered as a long range option as well.

Just some thoughts on this. Hope all's going well in the green and pleasant land.

RB

Thread Information