Thread: Trapping Pics 2013 ~ Let's see 'em!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trapping Pics 2013 ~ Let's see 'em!

I know it is still too early for a lot of you...but this past weekend I got some road trapping in and thought I would share a few of my pics. Nearly every passage redtail we came across could be heard food begging. All birds were released.

Feel free to add your own pics to the thread.

The first bird of the day...40oz

We spotted this pretty little gal zipping around an industrial area. 140g

This little male had a nice reddish hue to his tail.

Last...but not least is a horrible pic (taken through binoculars) of a Leucistic Adult Redtail. But...if I didn't include a pic no one would believe me. We've tried trapping this bird on 2 separate occasions...but she has shown ZERO interest in what we have to offer. She seems to be all white...except her wingtips are blackish and one tail feather appears to be half red.

~Jessica

hmmm...i'm not sure how this ended up in the Falconry Videos section. Can a moderator move this to the Falconry Photos section? Unless it doesn't really matter. Thanks. Sorry.
    ~Jessica

I would have kept that first red-tail, really nice feet! I hope to add to this thread in the next couple days, I have a new BC to try out and I will be out trapping for the fun of it.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    I would have kept that first red-tail, really nice feet! I hope to add to this thread in the next couple days, I have a new BC to try out and I will be out trapping for the fun of it.

It was definitely a good looking bird. It seems that this year has been good for the RTs. There are passage RT's all over the place around here.

Good luck...and take lots of pics!
    ~Jessica

I would have kept that first red-tail, really nice feet!
    I was just thinking the same thing even if it is a tad bit early for my likings.
    Isaac

I would have kept that first red-tail, really nice feet!
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I haven't seen many passage birds down here yet.
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

Love the pictures Jess!

Looks like your camera man did a great job! :P
    Josh M.

990 grams

1200 grams

3 grams (lol)
    I wish I could've taken som better pics. Was the best I could do one handed. Seems to be a lot of birds this year compared to last year. Loving every minute of it!!
    Lee

Love it!! Captured by aliens "look"...
    Tim A.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkingcolorado View Post
    Love it!! Captured by aliens "look"...
    If we humans were put through the same trauma, (Grabbed by a creature 100 times our size) most of use would die of shock on the spot.
    Fred Dewey
    "The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting it."

I've been out 5 times this year and have only seen 3 passage birds. None of the local pairs seem to have any young that made it. Haven't been able to get one to the trap yet. I sure love this time of year. Nothing gets my heart going more than to see that splash of white on the chest of a bird sitting on a pole, the anticipation of it hitting the trap, and then the joy and wonder of having a new hunting buddy sitting on your fist.
    Bart Ocheltree
    There's always free cheese in the mousetrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Barticus View Post
    I've been out 5 times this year and have only seen 3 passage birds. None of the local pairs seem to have any young that made it. Haven't been able to get one to the trap yet. I sure love this time of year. Nothing gets my heart going more than to see that splash of white on the chest of a bird sitting on a pole, the anticipation of it hitting the trap, and then the joy and wonder of having a new hunting buddy sitting on your fist.
    It's really interesting to see the numbers of passage birds in an area rise and fall. During the 2011 trapping season...in this same area...i couldn't find a passage redtail to save my life. This year they seem to be everywhere in this area.

Good luck during your trapping adventures!
    ~Jessica

Awesome photos Jessica!
    ~Cindy

I had the pleasure of making it out to the NCFG Picinic this past weekend and saw the bird Fred added a few photos of.

Although it was not the biggested bodied bird I have every seen, it did have some monster feet!

For its size, probably the biggest I have ever seem.

Those feet spread some major distance!
    Josh M.

Went out again this morning with another buddy!

Trapped this juvie red-shouldered.

Video of a juvie red-tail we let dance on top of the trap way too long, had about 10 nooses on its feet and legs.

Fred

Great thread to get us all excited for trapping season!

Most of the road trapping that I've done here is much later into the Fall, after the migration is on and more leaves are gone. I tend to focus on smaller secondary roads with little traffic. I don't see nearly as many RT's sitting on telephone poles in this part of the state like I see out west, so this early in the year I think it can be tough to spot them. For those of you that do a lot of road trapping this early (especially here in the East) ... what are some of the road types or areas that you focus on to have the most success?
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post

Most of the road trapping that I've done here is much later into the Fall, after the migration is on and more leaves are gone. I tend to focus on smaller secondary roads with little traffic. I don't see nearly as many RT's sitting on telephone poles in this part of the state like I see out west, so this early in the year I think it can be tough to spot them. For those of you that do a lot of road trapping this early (especially here in the East) ... what are some of the road types or areas that you focus on to have the most success?
    Hi Ken, I hope all is well!

The areas that i have always had good luck in are industrial business parks. A lot of industrial parks have a lot of light poles, scattered wooded lots, and overgrown hedgerows between buildings. There are usually very few people and little traffic in these industrial parks on the weekends. The more "rural" industrial parks tend to be better...but some of these industrial park areas also back up against highways and can give you safe access to a bird that otherwise would be untrappable. We usually create a "trapping circuit" between 4 or 5 industrial parks and take back roads traveling between each park.
    ~Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post

Airports, whether larger municipal or smaller airfields, seem to be magnets for birds on migration. One must obviously be judicious about not trapping on their property and keeping a low profile. But I find that there are usually industrial parks near those airfields that are loaded with birds, come migration time. Just remember to check them frequently as the birds found can change on a daily basis.
    Joe
    central Ohio

You guys wont believe this...
    I caught the same redtail at the exact same time, 2 days in a row!
    Last night on my dinner break, here at my ice cream shop, I saw an immature bird sitting on a power pole... there have been 2 hanging around, and I'm pretty sure they're siblings from a nest a little less than a mile from here. I tossed out a harnessed pigeon, caught the hawk, hooded and weighed it, (my apprentice was with me) and decided to let it go (small male.)
    Fast forward to tonight...
    Just sat down with some food for my usual dinner break, and I looked out through the window to spot a redtail coming in hard and fast from way the heck up there, only to put on the brakes and hover for a second before landing on the roof right above my head (the bird was coming down for a squirrel that had been monkeying around) I raced through the barn, over to a crate that I had a couple of my homers in,... stuffed one into the same harness from last night, went over to the door that's right near my desk, and tossed the pigeon out onto the lawn, and BAM! Hawk was on it, just about the same time the pigeon hit the grass. As soon as he was on it, I could see that he was the same bird as last night (not his sister, as I'd been hoping) but it was a pleasure to step outside and grab him up again... this time with a camera in hand.
    Pics below are the view from my desk, before he was caught in a noose, and then a couple of better looks at him, and a blurry release shot:

Scott McNeff

Maine

Well this has nothing to do with the trapping pics but this IS the video section
    so... I just thought I would let you all now about a great youtube channel a good freind of mine started a while back. http://www.youtube.com/user/falconersapprentice
    When he and I were getting started in falconry there were almost no good videos on how to make equipment etc. So he started this. I think its excellent but was curious if any of you all have seen it and if so what you think.

Thanks a lot!

Cody Howdeshell
    Cody H.

Two days of ridge trapping with my good friend Bill Barbour on Friday and Yesterday netted us 27 RT'S and one bad little Sharpie. Had an absolutely amazing time with many of the birds coming in like a rocket from hundreds of yards out. We took four guys with us over those two days all of which were very happy to say the least. It's getting a little late in the RT migration so no monsters were trapped. Yet all the birds kept were no BS flights, all in the 40 oz range, with the biggest being 46 flat. It was an awesome time to say the least! Thanks Bill!
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Red-tail71; 10-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

My phone is acting up so here are a couple more pics one at a time.
    image.jpg
    David

David

David, you are hurting my neck, come on, flip those pics!
    Fred

Default Xerxes...long story

Spent all day without seeing a single bird. Caught this dude on the way home, five minutes from my house. 1080g off the trap.

Tobey

Thread Information