Thread: Hello from Central Florida...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello from Central Florida...

Hello all:
    I'm a pre-apprentice in Winter Garden Florida and I just passed the exam. I have all of the state required equipment; made a creance and lure; purchased some hunting gear;license; and snake proof gaitors. After reading many topics on this forum and talking to the owner of Davidsons Falconry I'm preparing everything for a RT because a sponsor will most likely push for a RT over a RS hawk plus it is an amazing bird of prey. I have a local welder bending and welding an indoor/outdoor bow perch which should be ready this weekend and I'm planning on a tabletop setup in my garage and I will weather him/her outside supervised. The reason being I have a very strict HOA and any outdoor structure will raise hell. I am waiting for a response from a local inspector on my setup ideas. I have sent emails to the two local clubs and I am waiting for their response. I am trying to get to their meets and picnics so I can meet local falconers to possibly help out on hunts and hopefully find a sponsor. I really enjoy reading the posts on this forum. Great stuff very helpful. Any other suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. Thank You.

Hi Angelo and welcome to Nafex.You actually live in a good spot(lots of falconers and rabbits).Eric(Florida Falconers Assoc.)is holding a work shop I think in the next couple of weeks,The FHF probably wont answer you until you join.They are having a picnic in Apopka Oct.6.Of course if you mail Beth (the treasurer)a check for $20 (the cost of lunch being catered)and tell her your interested in joining you should be good.As for a mews you do have to have an outdoor structure.Here in central Fl.its kind of a hybrid between a mews and a weathering.Your welcome to come by and look at what I have(pretty typical)It's in Apopka which isn't far from Winter Garden.Good Luck
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Thanks Robert I would like to see your set up. I used to work in Apopka so I am familiar with the area. I will also send a check to Beth. It's just when you look at the FHF application it looks like you have to be an apprentice already because they ask for a sponsors name and permit #. I think I will volunteer at ARC in Apopka too. I will pm you my cell# let me know what day and time is good for me to check out your mew/weathering area.

Have fun and enjoy
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Welcome Angelo! Enjoy your journey into this great sport - it's going to be amazing for sure!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Did you get a bird yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fly View Post
    Did you get a bird yet ?
    No not yet. I do not have my permit yet. I sent my paperwork in last week and I'm waiting for my inspection. But I can't wait hopefully I can get approved before February 15th or its gonna be a long year.

Hey Angelo, welcome to falconry and the forum. My husband and myself are both falconers and live in Wesley chapel Florida. We both have red tailed hawks. So if you are ever in our neck of the woods let us know you can come by and talk falconry and see out hawks...
    Hollie Topash
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones's soul remains unawakened!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Girl with a red tail View Post
    Hey Angelo, welcome to falconry and the forum. My husband and myself are both falconers and live in Wesley chapel Florida. We both have red tailed hawks. So if you are ever in our neck of the woods let us know you can come by and talk falconry and see out hawks...
    That sounds great. Thank you.

We are goin to the florida hawking fraternity picnic in apopka. You should go.

Angelo if you would like to come to the Florida Hawking Fraternity picnic on Saturday, October 5th let me know and I'll send you the address where it is being held at in Apopka, Florida?
    Hollie Topash

Quote Originally Posted by Girl with a red tail View Post
    Angelo if you would like to come to the Florida Hawking Fraternity picnic on Saturday, October 5th let me know and I'll send you the address where it is being held at in Apopka, Florida?
    I will be there. I already got approved from FHF. I will see you at the picnic.

Cool we will see you there...
    Hollie Topash

anyone near tampa ? i have a friend out there that use to fly harris's etc back in the uk ,did work at the sea bird sanctury

mick
    mick lewis

Quote Originally Posted by talonslair View Post
    anyone near tampa ? i have a friend out there that use to fly harris's etc back in the uk ,did work at the sea bird sanctury

mick
    Yep just north of Tampa

What happened Angelo we didn't see you at the fhf picnic last Saturday
    Hollie Topash

Welcome Angelo! I'm down near SeaWorld, so not too far from you. My HOA is fairly strict too, so I'd be happy to share some of my solutions with you if needed. Good luck!
    Kevin

Thread Information