Hey guys! I came here from another site, and figured i'd introduce myself. (Using a recycled introduction)

I managed to escape the hawk fever the first time, (due to assumptions in moving states) but the second go-round, (once i decided to stay) there was no hope left. After being sucked into a black abyss of falconry videos, sites, and information, i ended up emailing Dave Noble to set up some plans to get out hawking this October. I'm hoping this season will give me good solid real-life knowledge and experience, and help me determine whether its a commitment i can make.

Im going to apologize in advance for the long, overly-and-unnecessarily-detailed story of how i got here.

I currently live in rural Hillsboro, where i have fully discovered my love for birds. One of my teachers saw and predicted my fascination before i knew it myself. I'll always remember the day (at 5am on a whooping crane watch) that she asked me, after a few hours, "You must really love birds, huh?" I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. I had always loved animals in general, especially wolves which fueled my interest in art as well. But i'd never thought about birds in-depth. Then, one day i looked out the window at my dad's and happened to idly notice a flock of what i later discovered to be Dark-Eyed Juncos. I dont know what exactly triggered it, but i wanted to try and 'tame' these birds. Photography was another discovered interest through the bird-loving (just like the wolves and art). And this was the starting point. I grabbed a camera and shot some pictures through the window, but i wanted to get closer. I felt like the birds had stories they needed to be told, and my pictures would capture them. So in starting this long-time endeavor, i simply sat outside on some rocks lining the driveway, where they ate. It was pretty blunt when i look at it now- most of my taming experience was learned through trial and error. I also spread bird seed over the driveway. For quite a long time i just went and sat outside, sometimes for hours on end (I remember falling asleep on the ground outside, and sitting out for 6 hours once or twice, or like four times..) so patience was not something i was lacking. Especially when you had to sit completely still, not scratching itches or even moving your eyes in the earlier stages. Over time, i started putting the feed closer and closer to where i was, leaving the rest of the driveway empty. They were able to move toward me on their own terms, rather than me going to them.
Every so often i would bring the camera out as well, until they were alright with it. I learned SO much from the Juncos, including the different sounds for different moods or communication, the fact that small wild birds have different sounds to their wings, their behavior, and that of other birds around me. Once the birds were quite familiar with me, i got the story-shots i was after. Here is one of my very favorites, of a male Junco dropping a cracked piece of millet seed.

They weren't perfect by any means, but to me they captured moments of the bird's behaviors that i knew almost intimately. But that wasn't enough, in the end. I wanted to get even closer, and pile on even more trust than they already had in me. I gradually moved closer to the feeder where other types of birds had started to come down, after seeing how well the Junco's trusted me. Juncos are ground feeders, meaning they hop along the ground to find their food. They were never interested in the feeder, but i had Chickadees, Nuthatches, Goldfinches, and other types of clinging birds that were. I found an old camping chair and set it next to the feeder, often with seed in the seat. They quickly became accustomed to it, which i later sat in. After they were used to me sitting there - eating just 1-3 feet away from my face (While the Juncos were eating on the ground around/under me and hopping onto/over my shoes.) they too became comfortable. I learned that some birds trust other's judgement. If they were coming near me, what was the harm? I removed the food from the feeder, and instead offered it in an outstretched hand. Within three days, this happened.

And then not long after, this as well.

By then the birds were extremely used to me, and would start showing up when i whistled for them. The chickadees were by far the most impatient to be fed, often times coming down to land on the feeder while i had it tipped and was still pouring the seed in. That, or my head/hands and they would even land and climb on my back. Some of the birds i hand-fed included Chickadees, Goldfinches, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, and White-Breasted Nuthatches.
Not only that, but in addition there were many others i never hand-fed but they became tame enough and ate around me. House Sparrows, White Crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, Indigo Buntings, Mourning Doves, Cardinals, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Spotted Towhees, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Robins, Brown-Headed Cowbirds, Pine Siskins, Red-Breasted nuthatches, Brown Thrasher, and House Finches. I even had brief visits from Crows, Phoebes, Bluebirds, and a House Wren that landed on my arm.
I also hand-fed the squirrels as well, and i have families of wild rabbits (Who might want to watch their backs) that come and eat/play around me.

And a video of the rabbits -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJCFSGyYy4U

With further efforts as far as the birds go, i was rewarded with this.

Meanwhile, once i realized i was successful, I had my eyes set on another bird. One of the smallest in the animal kingdom. I had hummingbirds that fed right outside my window where i had put a feeder. Gradual techniques with them that i had learned from the other birds landed me here:

Very contrasting to the huge feet of a raptor.

The first photo was published in the Birds and Blooms national magazine, also made it onto the front page of the Portage WI newspaper, and was discovered and will be published in a magazine based in the UK.

Video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agZEsUhnlro

But with most species of my backyard birds successfully tamed, i often looked up and saw the pair of Red-Tailed Hawks that call my property home. (One even landed right in my backyard once!)(I wont be flying any hawks i obtain on my property considering its already occupied by a very active pair)

My dad and i often joked about how they would be my next bird, going outside and waving a fresh rabbit around. Haha. I was initially looking into being an art teacher. But i ended up taking the B's-O-P seriously and looking into falconry. I felt like it was time to graduate from one of the smallest birds to some of the biggest. My new aim was raptors. That was last year when i thought i'd be moving. My thoughts on it were 'After i move, ill get into an apprenticeship' But the birth of my niece postponed my relocation, and i now have time to pursue it where i am.
Over the few months i've been completely and utterly consumed by all things falconry, and i have become quite serious about starting it. So, here i am. I've contacted people, asked questions to a few falconers, researched, watched videos, read my state's rules and regulations twice, practiced my knowledge with some virtual flash cards, etc. But it seems like i cant absorb enough information or quick enough at that! Im constantly hungry for more and i feel like i want every ounce of knowledge on the face of the earth.

SO with that, ill wrap it up. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!