Thread: Cool Creance

Default Cool Creance

My old pvc pipe creance cracked in the cold last year and I was about to make another one when I noticed this gizmo on the Western Sporting web page:

https://www.westernsporting.com/FE30...sy-to-Use.html

Laziness and curiosity prevailed and a few days later I had it in hand. I was using it and determined that while $40 may SEEM like a lot for something you can do cheaper, it is really a convenient and useful device. It is smaller than the old PVC pipe full of rocks AND it is a lot faster to dispense the cord or reel it in without getting it tangled. All in all I am happy that I didn't bother to inhale any more PVC cement and went this route instead.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

NICE! I've never been happy with my creance setup and that looks pretty spot on for what I've been wanting. If only it would self reel while I put other things away then I'd be set
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

A large, self retracting fly reel has served me very well for the last few seasons. You can find them on ebay for pennies. They were all the rage 20 years ago. I spooled mine with 350lb Dacron. The reel I have will hold about 200 ft. While it is not heavy enough for a redtail, what I do and have done is spool out what you need and put the reel in your bag. I also have a clip on my bag to run the creance line through.

For anything smaller than a large redtail it is just the ticket! When you are done with it, hit the button on the side and it reels up the line for you. Very slick.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

They wrk super no more tangles line.
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

The price western sporting is selling it at is $10 cheaper than any dive site is selling.

You can also get finger spools for $8-$12 on certain dive sites that can be used for creance work.
    Scott Peterson

I bought one years ago when they first started selling it, and I like it a lot.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanggedin View Post
    The price western sporting is selling it at is $10 cheaper than any dive site is selling.

You can also get finger spools for $8-$12 on certain dive sites that can be used for creance work.
    I noticed that. Someone pointed out that the dive sites have cheaper reels however the ratchet mechanism that lets you "lock" the length is part of its utility. This is the only one that I see with that feature. The finger spools are cheaper but you can't hold it between your knees and wind it up with one hand like this one. They are not much better than my old PVC pipe.

All in all I think it was money well spent. Since it is built really well and should last for many years the difference in price vs the super-econo reels is kind of irrelevant. With tools and falconry gear I like to buy stuff that will last and not fall apart at an inopportune moment.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I purchase one several years ago for use as a creance with my
    Merlins. Very compact and convenient, and well worth the price.

Since purchasing it, I also found another use for it. I use it with my manual game bird launcher. In fact I like it so much I've been thinking of buying a second one for use with a second launcher.

Not sure how I feel about the hardware attached to the reel and line though. My first thought is to replace them with something a little more failsafe.
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

I have a reel I use for many hawking things, too! They are VERY handy - depending on what you want to do. Love the looks of what you shared with us, Ron!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thread Information