Thread: Just picked up "Field Studies Of The Falconiformes Of British Columbia" -Frank Beebe

Default Just picked up "Field Studies Of The Falconiformes Of British Columbia" -Frank Beebe

I just received "Field Studies Of The Falconiformes Of British Columbia - Vultures, Hawks, Falcons, Eagles

It looks like a great book, but I am terrified to open it as the spine is in bad condition. It feels and looks like it will rip the book. Is there anyway to fix this? Tape, glue or a more professional way?
    Scott Richter

... I don't want to put tape on then find out that it's a horrible newbie thing and I just ruined any future value this book may have....
    Scott Richter

if your really concerned about keeping the book intact, you might want to find a binder in your area that could help you. What it comes down to is what your willing to spend and what the book is actually worth.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

I have no idea what the book is worth. To me its worth a lot because I'd love to have a nice decent collection. But you're talking $ to $'s.

The book was about $12. I'd be willing to spend more than that on trying to preserve it... Unless there is a brand new copy or something somewhere out there for a little less than fixing it. :-O

I'd really like to read it, but the first time I opened it (gently) it split a little bit down the spine. :-(
    Scott Richter

Hi Brandon,
    I would just open it and enjoy it as a nice time-worn addition to your collection. Or you might be able to save yourself the worry....
    Do you have a copy of Beebe's Hawks, Falcons & Falconry? I'm pretty sure that the text on 'The Birds of Falconry', was taken straight from the publication you have. I'm guessing the illustrations are the same too (?) - including that terrific and uniquely styled ferruginous on page 102. Seems now you are going to have take a peek!
    Al the best,
    Martin

Yes! I bought Hawks, Falcons and Falconry at the same time! I'm loving that book so far. I like it better than A Falconry Manual. I assume the latter is recommended to pre-apprentices and apprentices because it's cheaper and reprinted?

I'm really enjoying the information I've read from Beebe in a couple of his books.
    Scott Richter

Brandon,
    If you haven't read it already, I would certainly recommend the section on his personal hawking in the The Compleat Falconer. It's the highlight of the book.
    Martin

Thanks! I've been wanting that book for awhile. :-D
    Scott Richter

Looking for three books, any condition. "Myth of the Vanishing Peregrine", & "FALCOSCAM" by Frank Beebe. Also old, mimeographed book by Henry T. Swain "Falconry".
    Ron

Thread Information