Quote Originally Posted by frigginchi View Post
Sorry about my short post Dan.

I've always wanted to be a falconer ever since I was a kid. It started when I saw an article from the National Geographic with a Mongolian Eagle Hunter in it. Well back in the day they didn't have the interwebs and being a kid I found other things to get into.

Fast forward 30 years I was at work working as a maintenance mechanic for a high school. We have a mild pigeon problem so we brought in a company to get rid of the pigeons. That is when I met Kenny. We talked a bit about how he was going to get rid of the pigeons by trapping and night hawking. I was all ears when he told me that he was going to be using birds of prey to get rid of the problem birds. Luckily we live about a mile apart and he invited me to watch him fly some of his birds. It was absolutely afrigginmazing! Swooping, diving and stooping. I was hooked. He even let me hold a bird.

So after that day I cruised the interwebs gleaning all the info I can get. It's late into the season for catching a wild bird, but I'm going to try to take the test anyways. That just means that I have more time to prepare. So here I am. Now to find a sponsor. (hint,hint,wink,wink,nudge,nudge Kenny)

Chi,
Thank you for the additional information and for the photo. I see the rolling hills of California in the back drop.
In the cities around San Francisco Bay are some very good falconers. A few visit NAFEX at times and maybe one will see you story and offer help. It's good you have time to test and become licensed. Next will require building a proper housing for a bird. There are many examples of hawk mews on NAFEX to see and give you ideas. Hopefully you will have someone near who can guide you as you prepare for a hawk.
In the meantime you can also acquire the equipment needed.