Thread: Hello from a new Fl apprentice

Smile Hello from a new Fl apprentice

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to take the chance to introduce myself. My name is Kristen and I am currently a UCF student studying biology and art (drawing). I've been learning alongside Matt the past few months the responsibilities and what it means to be a falconer. I've always had a love for birds of prey, but after working at Audubon and going on hawking trips the past couple years, I want to make them a larger part of my career, art and lifestyle. I'm excited to be part of a community of wonderful people and hope to gain insight and knowledge from many perspectives. Cheers!
    ~Kristen A.

I'm an old snowbird that spends winters in the Spring Hill area. There are a number of Florida falconers on this site. If you're hang out with Matt [Formerly Tampa Matt] you'll get a good indoctrination. Welcome to NAFEX.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Hi Kristen! to Nafex!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Welcome to the chaos
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Kristen,
    Russell Whetstone

Welcome the forums Kristen! Do some reading around, some interesting stuff goes down within!
    -Mark

Hi Kristen and welcome.

Both my parent went to school at UCF.

Mike

Welcome aboard Kristen.Nice to see you on here
    Robert Miller

Orlando, FL

Bout time!
    ~Matt (formerly of Tampa)
    Dogs are my favorite kind of people.

:p
    ~Kristen A.

Hi Kirsten!

Would love to learn from someone who studies biology too.
    "Courage is knowing what not to fear." steve barbarich

Default Falconry in Florida

Hi Kristen I have looked into falconry in Orlando. Was curious in talking with someone that is doing it in Orlando. my daughter lives there now and wants me to move there with her. I fly a Red Tail In St. Louis Mo. I am use to going hunting and at times getting three rabbits in an hour. Now that is not all the time but most of time I dont come home empty handed. i only have to drive two miles to get to a hunting field. now it is right next to a Walmart but it is full of rabbits. Please let me know how it is going for you and what you are hunting and with what?

Quote Originally Posted by carlena View Post
    Hi Kristen I have looked into falconry in Orlando. Was curious in talking with someone that is doing it in Orlando. my daughter lives there now and wants me to move there with her. I fly a Red Tail In St. Louis Mo. I am use to going hunting and at times getting three rabbits in an hour. Now that is not all the time but most of time I dont come home empty handed. i only have to drive two miles to get to a hunting field. now it is right next to a Walmart but it is full of rabbits. Please let me know how it is going for you and what you are hunting and with what?
    Hey Carlena,

There are some rabbits here, but they are probably fewer and further between than you are likely used to in St. Louis. I bit more driving is required to get the slips.
    ~Matt (formerly of Tampa)
    Dogs are my favorite kind of people.

Quote Originally Posted by carlena View Post
    Now that is not all the time but most of time I dont come home empty handed. i only have to drive two miles to get to a hunting field. now it is right next to a Walmart but it is full of rabbits. Please let me know how it is going for you and what you are hunting and with what?
    Hi Carlena,

Like Matt was saying there are rabbits to be had down here, and some fields are loaded with them certain times of the year. The key to success is a good bird, brush beating skill, and a bit of luck. Along with having a good selection of fields to choose from. It can get technical at times, which is one of the reasons I think it's so enjoyable. On good days you can get doubles,but they usually take well over an hour. Rabbit hawking down here can be grueling sometimes, but it is satisfying and certainly exciting. Just be aware that if you come down this way, you may be in for a bit of culture shock.. atleast when it comes to rabbit hawking.
    -Mark

Welcome. I need to get down to Orlando with my hawk. I here there is a big mouse there
    Mark W, GLFA

Default Welcome

Just wanted to say welcome to you as a new Falconer in Florida. If I can be of assistance to you please reply.
    Joe N.

Florida Panhandel

Thread Information