Hey there, name's Robert, but everyone just calls me Bobby. A few weeks ago, I discovered that Falconry was alive as a sport-I had long thought that it was extinct. In hindsight, the fact that I knew that trained raptors were still around probably should have given me a subtle clue. Since I have had birds of one sort or another since I was 11 (I am now 24), this naturally aroused my interest. Even more so since the sport offers me an excuse to get outdoors. I currently own two small parrots; a Cockatiel who is roughly 14-13, and a sun conure who is about 13. Previously, I also had a few fowl, however my last one-a male rouen duck who I personally raised and cared for since hatching-died two years ago.

Currently, I am boning up on what I can- I am exhaustively picking over The Modern Apprentice, and am looking for good books on the sport to further whet my appetite. I am not currently looking for a sponsor, for the simple reason that I have no clue where I will be in the fall; I applied to graduate school last fall, and until I get replies from the schools I do not know whether I will spend the next four or five years of my life in Florida, my native New Jersey, New York or even Pennsylvania. Considering the time commitment involved on both sides of an apprenticeship, and since I do not know where I will be, I figure that in the meantime I will be better served by spending the time learning. The same goes for the permits involved.

I hope to eventually become a falconer, and an ambassador for the sport. I also have what may well be a pipe dream of setting a up a breeding program someday with golden eagles and red tails to do something similar with each to what the Coulsons have done with Harris Hawks. It may be out of my reach for quite some time, but hey, a man can dream. Incidentally, the bird I am most interested in someday flying is the Harris hawk.