I disagree, you don't learn falconry through text.

The test(in FL) tested your understanding of basic terminology, raptor biology, and a few misc. arbitrary facts and practices. It is being changed now, so I can't speak of the current contribution that the test has to testing a falconer's abilities.

However, I do not think that it is necessary for you to read the entire history of falconry, every single book, on every single subject. From hunting red-tails on squirrels to flying Gyrfalcons at grouse. That is just ridiculous. There's a reason that there is the apprentice system in place, it puts an experienced falconer at your disposal so that you may learn and practice under his/her guidance. I think that there is nothing better when it comes to falconry, than to learn through talking, and asking others who have done what you are trying to do, and more importantly participate in doing it with someone if possible. Sure books are great, they offer some insight and experiences on how to do things. Remember a book is only as good as the interpreter. So often what happens is that when something is written in a book, people don't look at what's being described as critically as if it were disseminated in person.

So basically I guess what I'm saying is, study up for the test to the point that you can pass it, read some material but be objective about the information. Think for yourself. Most importantly though, build yourself a good core group of falconers in your area, that you can ask questions of, hunt with, and learn from. Make sure your sponsor is a good falconer, and is or has consistently taken game with his/her birds. That to me would be a lot more important than ordering a bunch of books to look at.

I don't know what they mean by cheating, it's not like taking the apprentice test guarantees that you are a falconer, it just gives you access to the other steps involved in order to become permitted. Just because you're permitted doesn't mean you're a falconer either, that doesn't happen until you catch your first head of wild game with a hawk or falcon.