Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NAFA Meet Lubbock, TX

Quote Originally Posted by NMHighPlains View Post
    "North American Falconer's Ass"? Is that a body part or are ya'll calling my squier names?

That is funny!!!! I didn't notice that.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Online Registration for the meet is now available. Click here!

If you have any problems, please contact me or Brandi.
    You rock, Fred!
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    speaker presentation. not much into bands while I eat and I hear most of the good stories at the yard.
    What the hell difference does it make to you??..Yall are 3 parts pissed anyway getting ready to talk!!!!lollolololll...
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Wanted to let folks know we are getting some much needed rain, let's hope it continues through the summer.
    Chris

One news guy said we have hit are yearly average already....however I'm not sure about that. Amarillo looked like it got more.
    Zach G.

To date for the year rain in inches 6.04 which 5.14 for this month in Lubbock
    Zach G.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiercel78 View Post
    To date for the year rain in inches 6.04 which 5.14 for this month in Lubbock
    now who wants to take me out so I can see one of those pointy winged things smack a duck.
    Jason N

Hopefully we keep getting rain throughout the summer and early fall.
    Zach G.

What is the likelihood of running into a venomous snake around Lubbock? I imagine there will be some people that will want to use my dog to flush ducks off water so I was wondering about her getting bit. I've never encountered poisonous snakes with her before. Anyone have contact info of a vet I could get her to fast just in case she does get bit? Just thinking ahead, Thanks.
    Jason N

Quote Originally Posted by Jason123 View Post
    What is the likelihood of running into a venomous snake around Lubbock? I imagine there will be some people that will want to use my dog to flush ducks off water so I was wondering about her getting bit. I've never encountered poisonous snakes with her before. Anyone have contact info of a vet I could get her to fast just in case she does get bit? Just thinking ahead, Thanks.
    Lubbock in November, virtually no chance. I saw one rattlesnake in 5+ years of living there, and that was in high thick brush in a canyon.
    Chris

I drove through Amarillo (90 miles north of Lubbock) on 4th of July weekend and the vegetation was nice and green and it stayed that way all the way to ABQ. They had obviously been getting a good deal of rain in that area. Hopefully, it has extended to Lubbock as well, and continues.

Bill Boni

Any news ???
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    Any news ???
    What kind of news? It been raining this summer, so grass should be good and things that eat it should be around, as well as ponds and things that like to eat and swim in them, is that what you were asking?
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    What kind of news? It been raining this summer, so grass should be good and things that eat it should be around, as well as ponds and things that like to eat and swim in them, is that what you were asking?
    Longwingers should be advised that Lubbock does not have a lot of ponds. We should be able to get some lined up with a small drive though, half hour or so to some much better areas for that.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cwd56 View Post
    Longwingers should be advised that Lubbock does not have a lot of ponds. We should be able to get some lined up with a small drive though, half hour or so to some much better areas for that.
    30 minutes to better area's sounds dreamy! lol I'm used to 300 mile days to not find a flight...
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post

Yes,thanks..wanted to know how things were shaping up..hard to judge from 4000 miles away..

Damn,they were right...They said that since you gotta a bit of power you had turnt mean!!!!..I said .."NO..NEVER..!!" They said: "Don't ask,..he will shout.."...
    Gaz..

(Really,..what I really wanted to know was the price of Jack and Stella Artoise locally!!
    Gaz..

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    (Really,..what I really wanted to know was the price of Jack and Stella Artoise locally!!
    Whatever it costs, it can't be as much as having to cross state lines to get it, lol

Things are shaping up nicely. We are getting the Meet swag ordered, raffle items are coming in, getting some land for hunting. It is gonna be a great Meet with some neat surprises!
    Brandi

Is there much of an eastern coops population around Lubbock or within a few hours drive? Thinking about it..
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Quote Originally Posted by Shehawker View Post
    Is there much of an eastern coops population around Lubbock or within a few hours drive? Thinking about it..

Come on Missy.... take a crazy road trip up here to stay at my place for a while and we will get the necessary permits in hand, and send you home with one!! How long has it been since you took a road trip to New England?! We've got a guest room with your name on it, and I catch piles of Cooper's hawks at my trapping station.

The doors are open....
    Otherwise, I'll see you in Lubbock.
    Looking forward to it.
    It has been too long.
    I'm eager to see everybody there. Can't wait!
    Scott McNeff

Maine

No, it's going to be western birds.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
    Come on Missy.... take a crazy road trip up here to stay at my place for a while and we will get the necessary permits in hand, and send you home with one!! How long has it been since you took a road trip to New England?! We've got a guest room with your name on it, and I catch piles of Cooper's hawks at my trapping station.

The doors are open....
    Otherwise, I'll see you in Lubbock.
    Looking forward to it.
    It has been too long.
    I'm eager to see everybody there. Can't wait!
    Never actually, I might have to take you up on that for an coop eyas in the spring. For now maybe I've talked myself in to trying a western passage. That and the fall/winter trip plans are already taking up days off but I'll be there in Lubbock, can't wait to see everyone too!
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Never actually, I might have to take you up on that for an coop eyas in the spring. For now maybe I've talked myself in to trying a western passage. That and the fall/winter trip plans are already taking up days off but I'll be there in Lubbock, can't wait to see everyone too!

Well,... when the time is right, come on out and stay for a while. You'll love the coast of Maine. (and we'll pull a fuzzy white Cooper's for you)
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Why the concern about eastern vs western? Catch a coops and go hawking missy!!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

I don't wanna detract from the focus on this years meet in TX, which I will sadly miss, but I am curious when the meet is scheduled to cycle back to Utah. I was in Vernal for a funeral a few weeks ago and was absolutely astounded at the number of Cottontail I saw. Saw a fair number of quail running around as well.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Shhhh Geoff that was my secret...

Few more jacks around too but it has been mostly a CT explosion. Lots of water these past few months so the game birds seem to be doing well.

They were good last year even with 1 ft of snow that seemed to stick around forever and are everywhere this year, I hope they don't crash for a few more seasons but they likely will, so that is something to keep in mind if they do rotate here.
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Shhhh Geoff that was my secret...

Few more jacks around too but it has been mostly a CT explosion. Lots of water these past few months so the game birds seem to be doing well.

They were good last year even with 1 ft of snow that seemed to stick around forever and are everywhere this year, I hope they don't crash for a few more seasons but they likely will, so that is something to keep in mind if they do rotate here.
    Well Missy, I think I'll just have to come for a family visit during the hawking season.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    I don't wanna detract from the focus on this years meet in TX, which I will sadly miss, but I am curious when the meet is scheduled to cycle back to Utah. I was in Vernal for a funeral a few weeks ago and was absolutely astounded at the number of Cottontail I saw. Saw a fair number of quail running around as well.
    It is my understanding that Utah and Colorado have been taken out of the rotation due to poor attendance and complains on the requirements for entering those states. But I would ask a NAFA Officer for a 100% correct answer.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
    It is my understanding that Utah and Colorado have been taken out of the rotation due to poor attendance and complains on the requirements for entering those states.
    Bummer... I had a great time in both Utah and Colorado. Yes it's a pain to have to travel so far for us east-coast falconers, (and last time in Utah the game numbers were really low but the scenery was beautiful), but I'd still probably go again. I wonder if this adds more pressure and burden on the other states we go to that will then have to host the meet more often (eg - Nebraska, Texas, Kansas, etc.) or if it'll rotate more to some of the states we haven't been to in a long time (eg - South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, ...). Either way... next couple years look like fun --> Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma... see you there!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
    It is my understanding that Utah and Colorado have been taken out of the rotation due to poor attendance and complains on the requirements for entering those states. But I would ask a NAFA Officer for a 100% correct answer.
    That's disappointing to hear. Any NAFA officers wana weigh in on that? Utah is very accomidating, requirements wise, for NAFA meets. There was a very low attendance at the last Vernal meet, but no obvious cause so I hope they didn't pull it from rotation. Actually, I know a lot of my Washington friends showed up early to get a head start on finding game, then decided to go hunting in Oregon where they could find high game numbers.

After the first NAFA meet was held in Vernal in '98 the response was so positive that everyone asked for the NAFA meet to stay in that city.

Geoff,

You would have to check in with Sheldon Nicolle for the hard facts on this topic, but to my knowledge, NONE of the states have been completely ruled out. However,... Brandi is not incorrect in suggesting that Colorado may never see us there again. Vernal may be the most picturesque of our past meet locations, (I LOVED IT there) but it's a tough one for many members to get to. The Future Meets Committee is becoming more lithe and open-minded and I think you're going to see meets popping up in locations that we've never visited before.

Additionally, if the "Regional" meets that we've done for the last couple of years continue to be a hit, I think you'll see more and more field meets in all corners of the country (scratch that,..... "continent")
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Default Meets

I made a promise to myself long ago that I would never attend another NAFA meet that required more of me to hunt w/ a raptor than to hunt w/ a firearm. Additional permits, fees, falconry licenses, health certificates, etc. would rule that state/meet out. Can't see enriching the coffers of a state that throws unnecessary hoops and hurdles in the way.........paul
    ......paul

Quote Originally Posted by defalconer1 View Post
    I made a promise to myself long ago that I would never attend another NAFA meet that required more of me to hunt w/ a raptor than to hunt w/ a firearm. Additional permits, fees, falconry licenses, health certificates, etc. would rule that state/meet out. Can't see enriching the coffers of a state that throws unnecessary hoops and hurdles in the way.........paul
    That's sad and proof you haven't taken the time to understand things.

Do you use a dog with your firearm? If so, you need a health cert for that! Gun is not an equal comparison...
    -Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    That's sad and proof you haven't taken the time to understand things.

Do you use a dog with your firearm? If so, you need a health cert for that! Gun is not an equal comparison...
    I agree with Jeff. How can you compare a gun that you can take out of a case, hunt with it for a few hours and put it away again and not touch it for a year to hunting with a bird? Falconry in ANY state requires more than a gun hunter since you have to have a falconry permit to fly a bird. It is not the health certificates I find annoying, it is the required USDA certified health certificated I disagree with. But that is another thread....
    Brandi

Thread Information