Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NAFA Meet Lubbock, TX

I have emailed Sheldon for clarity on where Colorado and Utah stand in the future rotations. I'll post his response.
    Brandi

From Sheldon

Right now Kansas is next (2015) followed by Oklahoma (2016) and then Nebraska (2017). No official decision has been made regarding future meets in Utah and Colorado.

Sheldon and the Future Meets Committee do listen to members. So if you feel strongly one way or another, let Sheldon know or post your comments here and I will pass them along. This is why it is important to fill out any surveys that NAFA sends out. The last survey that was sent, Sheldon went through and read every single comment that was made and presented the results to the board. Comments on the survey is why next years Meet is not over Thanksgiving. Even if you haven't been to a Meet or haven't been in a long time, your opinion matters. So next time a survey is sent out, be sure to fill it out! (Just my pitch for speaking up because NAFA is OUR club!)
    Brandi

Since its founding in 1962 and to this very day, NAFA has remained all volunteer. The posse running the Lubbock meet and also planning future NAFA meets are doing an excellent job. I've been a member since 1967, and I've been to lots of memorable meets, many of which were well organized. The organization and communication around this year's Lubbock meet is as good or better than any I've experienced so far.
    Last edited by Corsair; 09-17-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: fix a typo
    Doug Pineo
    Spokane Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
    Since its founding in 1962 and to this very day, NAFA has remained all volunteer. The posse running the Lubbock meet and also planning future NAFA meets are doing an excellent job. I've been a member since 1967, and I've been to lots of memorable meets, many of which were well organized. The organization and communication around this year's Lubbock meet is as good or better than any I've experienced so far.
    Thank you for your kind comments, Doug. I have to say that planning a Meet is a LOT of work. This is my second Meet running registration and first Meet to Co-Chair.

As with any organization there will be ups and downs, but the current board members have been great to work with. Bob and Scott have gone out of their way to make sure I have what I need as Membership Secretary and check in with me often to see if there is anything I need help with and just to make sure things are OK. The other board members have been pleasant to work with and egos are not an issue. It is so nice working with these people and I am proud to be a NAFA member!
    Brandi

Has anyone checked the game situation in Lubbock? And I don't mean how it was the last time someone hunted there, I mean actually walked out into the fields recently and what they saw, particularly jacks?
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Has anyone checked the game situation in Lubbock? And I don't mean how it was the last time someone hunted there, I mean actually walked out into the fields recently and what they saw, particularly jacks?
    I'm hoping they all have their water wings on about now.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    I'm hoping they all have their water wings on about now.
    That's for sure, Pete. They are going to get hammered with rain, if they are not already. But, I imagine those folks are welcoming this rain with open arms, and it will fill the ponds up

Bill Boni

Rain down there, as I understand it, is a double edged sword. Too little and the vegetation suffers and game pops are down. Too much and it kills the rabbits. That little sweet spot of just enough is where it needs to be. Although too much rain has little effect on the migratory birds. More ponds, more birds. We usually hunt Lubbock in January and honestly I don't think you can affect the jack population there very much. There always seem to be good numbers.
    Brian in Montana---
    Montana is FULL. I hear South Dakota is nice. www.lchoods.weebly.com

Next years meet not over thanksgiving?...is it earlier or later?..does anyone know..if its later,thats me done!!!!...
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    Next years meet not over thanksgiving?...is it earlier or later?..does anyone know..if its later,thats me done!!!!...

earlier, by a week I believe
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    November 8-13
    Fred

I have never took part in a meet in Utah before. Number one reason: distance. I live in Nebraska, which I know cannot really compare to living on the east coast with distance, but I absolutely refuse to fly anywhere so I limit what meets I attend by the hours it takes for me to drive there. Texas would be the next farthest away from me, but I went to the NAFA meet in Amarillo back in 2008 and loved it!! I have everything set up to go to Lubbock this year, although it is almost a 13 hr drive for me. I've been to Alamosa, CO, Dodge City, KS, and (of course) Kearney, NE's meets. I'm hesitantly planning on taking my bird this year, which while be a first for me at a NAFA meet. I couldn't make Alamosa last year due to complications in obtaining child care. I hope to see a lot of people at Lubbock...I'm getting more excited as the time grows closer!!
    ~Amanda K. - *Soaring on the wings of the hawk....see far, see clear, wind ruffles feathers...scream out defiance and love for life.*

Good news everyone...Mario and I were in Lubbock for a couple of days and it is looking GREAT as far as game numbers. They have had a good amount of rain and the playas are full and some overflowing. One Texas Parks and Wildlife employee said that the rabbits were crazy this year. So things are looking good as far as numbers.
    Brandi

I'm just starting to make my plans to attend the meet, looks like it's going to be a good one! Is everyone staying at the meet hotel?
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
    I'm just starting to make my plans to attend the meet, looks like it's going to be a good one! Is everyone staying at the meet hotel?
    Ken, my understanding and Brandi can confirm this is the meet hotel is big enough to hold all falconers that want to stay there. So hopefully, we all will be under the same roof. I think this year is going to be a lot of fun. I started a new job at the beginning of the year and only have 5 days of vacation this year and I am using it all to go, so it better be good! LOL
    Fred

I made my reservation, but learned that on Saturday there is something else going on and they couldn't get me a double room for that night... I'll have to move to a different room for that one night, and then move back. Not the end of the world... but figured I'd mention it here in case anyone didn't make their reservation you might want to get it done ASAP.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

I have RSVP'd for the meet, and reserved the hotel. Is there any way I can purchase my hunting license for Texas in advance? Just to take care of all the loose ends so all I have to bring is gas, and spending money. =)
    Michael Cogar

I believe you can purchase the hunting license from the texas parks and wildlife. online
    Tpwd.state.tx.us

or
    Order by phone: Call toll free (800) 895-4248, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm central time.
    Jeff

No matter how Responsible he seems... never give your gun to a monkey!

Area looked pretty green when I rode through last week. It was looking good from Amarillo all the way to Abilene. Even saw a few ducks
    Jordan Turner (cooler than a polar bears toe nails)

Quote Originally Posted by mcogar88 View Post
    I have RSVP'd for the meet, and reserved the hotel. Is there any way I can purchase my hunting license for Texas in advance? Just to take care of all the loose ends so all I have to bring is gas, and spending money. =)
    You can just go to Wally World and purchase a non-resident hunting license, that is what I did last year and the previous years I hunted in TX. Of course, that is if there is one in Lubbock.
    Fred

Will the TPWD have a representative there during registration to purchase licenses from? I could be wrong but hasn't this been the case with past meets?
    Darren Lemieux

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    You can just go to Wally World and purchase a non-resident hunting license, that is what I did last year and the previous years I hunted in TX. Of course, that is if there is one in Lubbock.
    There is one right by the meet hotel.
    Chris

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine At Heart View Post
    I have never took part in a meet in Utah before. Number one reason: distance. I live in Nebraska, which I know cannot really compare to living on the east coast with distance, but I absolutely refuse to fly anywhere so I limit what meets I attend by the hours it takes for me to drive there. Texas would be the next farthest away from me, but I went to the NAFA meet in Amarillo back in 2008 and loved it!! I have everything set up to go to Lubbock this year, although it is almost a 13 hr drive for me. I've been to Alamosa, CO, Dodge City, KS, and (of course) Kearney, NE's meets. I'm hesitantly planning on taking my bird this year, which while be a first for me at a NAFA meet. I couldn't make Alamosa last year due to complications in obtaining child care. I hope to see a lot of people at Lubbock...I'm getting more excited as the time grows closer!!
    At least you don't live in central Canada - it's a bit of a hike from here, too!
    Hugh

Is there going to be a NAFEX party this year? Was curious- did not see anything posted.
    Thanks
    Eric
    "Make love loudly- make war silently"

Brandi and I were out in Lubbock working on a few things a couple weeks ago. LOTS of water. Everything is very green. Talked with a few locals and the reports are coming in of way to many rabbits.
    The hotel is 6 stories and can accomodate all of us if need be.
    There is a Walmart across the street from the meet hotel. Hunting licenses can be purchased there easy enough.
    OH, did I happen to mention how much water they have gotten? Reports are it is the most rainfall they have seen in over 10 years! Bring on the ducks!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Brandi and I were out in Lubbock working on a few things a couple weeks ago. LOTS of water. Everything is very green. Talked with a few locals and the reports are coming in of way to many rabbits.
    The hotel is 6 stories and can accomodate all of us if need be.
    There is a Walmart across the street from the meet hotel. Hunting licenses can be purchased there easy enough.
    OH, did I happen to mention how much water they have gotten? Reports are it is the most rainfall they have seen in over 10 years! Bring on the ducks!
    SWEET!
    David

We only go through this circus once, so enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    Is there going to be a NAFEX party this year? Was curious- did not see anything posted.
    Thanks

Hi Eric,

heck yeah there is going to be one, I gotta keep up the tradition

I am working out some details and will be posting soon about it. I think I will have it right across the street from the hotel so it will be easy to get to. More to follow
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Hey Chris
    Cool, yeah we “all” had a blast at the one Nebraska for sure- I think we did anyway -lol
    seeya
    Eric
    "Make love loudly- make war silently"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Hi Eric,

heck yeah there is going to be one, I gotta keep up the tradition

I am working out some details and will be posting soon about it. I think I will have it right across the street from the hotel so it will be easy to get to. More to follow
    stumbling distance is good... miss ya bro.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

I scoped Lubbock out the other day myself. Went by some fields I used to hunt and just poked around some. Everything is still very green right now and looking better than I've seen in several years. Hopefully this will lead to both jacks and CT numbers being up. I live about an hour away and I know our numbers are up on both and quail. There are not a bunch of stock tanks in the Lubbock area, for the most part it is cotton country and they have no need for them. However, there are a lot of flooded fields right now, especially corners. So if they keep holding some water, there is some real potential for ducks being all over.
    Chris

There has been some confusion over the cut off date for pre-registration so it has been extended until midnight on Novermber 4th. Go to the Meet page to find the link to register online. Pre-registration will be removed at midnight on November 4th so get it done folks!!!
    Fred

Drove through Lubbock on Tuesday. It was raining with lots of water standing in the fields and small rain ponds throughout the city. I was hoping to get a chance to walk a couple of fields to see what I could kick up, but, it rained all morning. We did stop for breakfast in downtown area and saw a couple of mallards come flying in, landing next to the shopping center in one of the rain ponds. Temps were in the 40 to 45 degree around 11 am.
    Jim
    New Mexican

I am ready and so is the team.
    Terence

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    Hey Chris
    Cool, yeah we “all” had a blast at the one Nebraska for sure- I think we did anyway -lol
    seeya
    It should be a blast this year too. I look forward to seeing you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    stumbling distance is good... miss ya bro.
    It will be great to see you and the family again Rich, Its always nice to catch up and sip on some of that fine Tennessee iced tea
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

I'm not flying this year due to new job. More than likely ill be working during the meet. However I do live in lubbock and I will be happy to share what I know. So far I've have seen some duck on playas early in the morning and later in afternoon near town. The Canadians just started showing up in any numbers and with the big cold front that is hitting us this week..... starting tonight I'm assuming we should be getting more waterfowl in shortly. The playas are still pretty full lots of mud water ankle to knee deep so waders might be something good to pack. I haven't had time to really walk the fields but i have seen decent numbers of jacks and bunnies in certain areas. Might get a chance to do some looking this week. However we have tons of collard dove and good amount of morning dove. I haven't seen any pheasant this year but the only good areas i have seen them in the past is northeast of lubbock in the surrounding towns. Due to my job I spend lot of time in the oil fields west of lubbock. IMO Hobbs NM is pretty game rich as far as quail rabbit and jacks this year if there are those people up for the drive.
    Zach G.

Thread Information