Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 NAFA Meet Lubbock, TX

Krys,

This sounds great. And Mario and Brandi--you two are a glutton for punishment. Geez!

Bill Boni

Like mentioned earlier there are tons of collared doves here. That's what I plan on focusing on with the little hybrid I've been flying here in Lubbock. Hopefully we get water this year cause this past season hasn't been as good as the season before. We get ducks and quite a few but the playas are hurting for water and the ducks where hanging out in town. The quail, cottontail, and pheasant took a good hit this year. Still got good numbers on jacks though.
    Zach G.

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    Looking forward to seeing you, there Bill. Early reports are that the jack population in Lubbock is doing quite well.
    Not real sure where you've got this information Krys, but due to the lack of rain jack numbers are down pretty bad. I am leaving Lubbock as I type this and we went out and kicked around a few spots that used to have good jack numbers and I kicked up one jack over a couple if hours. Did not look for pheasant, but from asking several gun hunters I know, they were almost nonexistent this season due to the drought. I'm not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but if we don't get some moisture, it's not going to improve. Also, all the duck ponds I looked at were dry or just about there. We were supposed to get some rain today, but I believe most of it was north around Amarillo, go figure lol. IF we can get some moisture, I could see it improving some, but as is, I'm not very optimistic on numbers. I will be kicking around a few other spots soon and will see how it looks.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cwd56 View Post
    Not real sure where you've got this information Krys, but due to the lack of rain jack numbers are down pretty bad. I am leaving Lubbock as I type this and we went out and kicked around a few spots that used to have good jack numbers and I kicked up one jack over a couple if hours. Did not look for pheasant, but from asking several gun hunters I know, they were almost nonexistent this season due to the drought. I'm not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but if we don't get some moisture, it's not going to improve. Also, all the duck ponds I looked at were dry or just about there. We were supposed to get some rain today, but I believe most of it was north around Amarillo, go figure lol. IF we can get some moisture, I could see it improving some, but as is, I'm not very optimistic on numbers. I will be kicking around a few other spots soon and will see how it looks.
    This sounds very much like the situation in Amarillo, I am told, except it is even worse. I am hopeful that Lubbock has a wet spring and continued moisture, particularly for Krys's sake, as I have learned from my own experience chairing one of these meets that all can go wrong (including the meet hotel going BK a week before our arrival), but if there is plenty of game, everyone is happy. Hang in there, Krys. All's well that ends well.

Bill Boni

chris, look at the dove population please!
    Russell Whetstone

Quote Originally Posted by broken feather View Post
    The main doves that will be there then Russell will be primarily migrants that will add in to the locals. So what you'd see there now is nothing compared to what can be there by that part of November.
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Dove are plentiful.
    Chris

Chris, how about access or avaibility to hunting land for longwings?
    Russell Whetstone

Chris, how about access or avaibility to hunting land for longwings?
    This will depend on rainfall. Most small tanks were dry this season and the ducks were in the waste in town. If we get rain, there are water holes all over that will hold ducks. Pheasant numbers are down as well, but if you get north of town and find some CRP near some grain or oat, I'd bet you'll find a few slips.
    Chris

I haven't had much issue asking land owners for permission. The only time I think you would run into big issues is during goose/pheasant gun season but it's later in the year.
    Zach G.

As far as the game numbers go I have done my due diligence. I have spoken with land owners, game wardens, and other falconers. The conclusion was and is that despite lower than desired numbers in the Texas panhandle. Lubbock is in MUCH better shape than Amarillo is.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Here is a question I asked on the NAFA Meet Facebook page. There were very few replies. From that I can gather that people either don't care period OR would rather NOT have a speaker at the banquet, as a majority of the few responses were for the band. Thoughts?

What would YOU rather have at the banquet? A keynote speaker or a band or individual falconers having open mic time to describe a good flight or good NAFA meet experience
    Krys Langevin

speaker presentation. not much into bands while I eat and I hear most of the good stories at the yard.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

I Vote for speaker.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

BAND! any word on the meet hotel?
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

Here is a question I asked on the NAFA Meet Facebook page. There were very few replies. From that I can gather that people either don't care period OR would rather NOT have a speaker at the banquet, as a majority of the few responses were for the band. Thoughts?

What would YOU rather have at the banquet? A keynote speaker or a band or individual falconers having open mic time to describe a good flight or good NAFA meet experience
    I have never heard of anyone complaining over the years about having a guest speaker at the NAFA meet; and the one's I have heard were worth listening to. Why not have both, with the band commencing after the banquet?

Bill Boni

Quote Originally Posted by COMEAUX View Post
    BAND! any word on the meet hotel?
    May 1st.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    May 1st.
    Hotel Info Please!
    Comeaux

"Emperor Coon Ass"

BAND..The did a hell of a job in Co last year..Hey its Tx right?..buck the trends..Lets go home with a BANG..rather than a whimper!!!!!!
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

Hotel Info Please!
    Hotel info will be released tomorrow. May 1st. NAFA has the info and as soon as it goes out to the members then it will be posted here and on FB. Have no fear though the hotel has plenty of rooms for everyone.
    Krys Langevin

Hotel Info Please!

Vendor Coordinator: Along with helping in the weathering yard, Mario Nickerson will be coordinating vending this year. His contact info is dirthawking@yahoo.com or 817-751-5775. The Hotel has 15,000-square-foot meeting space, which features a 7,000-square-foot conference center as its centerpiece. That means there is a lot of room for evening meetings followed by nightly vending. If you are a falconry equipment vendor this is an opportunity to meet and hawk your wares to a collective audience of falconers. To make things easier on vendors we have reserved a block of first floor rooms, close to the vending area, just for vendors. To ensure you are assigned one of these rooms please contact Mario no later than October 1st. This is a first come first serve opportunity for a first floor room. Vending will be open Monday through Thursday with a special vendor raffle and meet and greet on Monday night.

Just to drive this point home for everybody that wants to be a vendor this year!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Hotel info will be released tomorrow. May 1st. NAFA has the info and as soon as it goes out to the members then it will be posted here and on FB. Have no fear though the hotel has plenty of rooms for everyone.
    No it won't, I haven't got the info, it wasn't attached to the email and I responded back and you haven't answered me. I have to get up at 4:15 to get ready for work, so no, it won't be ready tomorrow!
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    No it won't, I haven't got the info, it wasn't attached to the email and I responded back and you haven't answered me. I have to get up at 4:15 to get ready for work, so no, it won't be ready tomorrow!
    I didn't say the website would be ready tomorrow. I said the hotel info would be released. And YES it will.
    Krys Langevin

Any relief from the drought so far this spring?
    Jason N

Quote Originally Posted by Jason123 View Post
    Any relief from the drought so far this spring?
    We've got a little rain, but if it'll keep coming a little at a time, I'll take it!
    Chris

I didn't say the website would be ready tomorrow. I said the hotel info would be released. And YES it will.
    Oops, sorry!

Folks, the meet info on the website (with hotel info) from Krys will be available this evening when I get home from work. The online registration will be available in a day or so as I need to make sure it is working properly.

Thank you for your patience!
    Fred

I read the April HC available on the NAFA web site two days ago, it has the hotel info.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthawking View Post
    Vendor Coordinator: Along with helping in the weathering yard, Mario Nickerson will be coordinating vending this year. His contact info is dirthawking@yahoo.com or 817-751-5775. The Hotel has 15,000-square-foot meeting space, which features a 7,000-square-foot conference center as its centerpiece. That means there is a lot of room for evening meetings followed by nightly vending. If you are a falconry equipment vendor this is an opportunity to meet and hawk your wares to a collective audience of falconers. To make things easier on vendors we have reserved a block of first floor rooms, close to the vending area, just for vendors. To ensure you are assigned one of these rooms please contact Mario no later than October 1st. This is a first come first serve opportunity for a first floor room. Vending will be open Monday through Thursday with a special vendor raffle and meet and greet on Monday night.

Just to drive this point home for everybody that wants to be a vendor this year!
    GOOD JOB MARIO!
    Comeaux

"Emperor Coon Ass"

2014 NAFA Meet Lubbock, Texas

By Chair Krys Langevin & Co-Chair Brandi Nickerson

Once again NAFA returns to the wild, wild, west and the great state of Texas. However, this time around we are heading 90 minutes south of our traditional host city, to the heart of jack rabbit country – the great city of Lubbock. Time to dig out those thick, black glasses, skinny jeans, and sport the timeless bouffant hair-dos, we’re visiting the birth place of Buddy Holly!
    This was not an easy decision or simply for the sake of change, it was made entirely with a mind on the availability of quarry. Reports from Amarillo indicate traditional game populations have been particularly hard hit by the ongoing drought that affects the Midwest. Reports from falconers and wildlife biologists suggest Lubbock game populations are in much better shape.
    Plans are already in full swing. Hotel contracts are signed, dinner menus are being finalized, raffles donations are being sought, sponsorship for nightly hors d'oeuvres, and the most important aspect of any Meet – access to land and game – is moving forward in high gear. Lucky for us former SE NAFA Director Michael Beran is leading the land acquisition efforts for the Meet. Those familiar with Lubbock know it to be the home of Texas Tech University and lots of wide open space, negotiations are underway to gain access to large tracts of land owned by Texas Tech and the City of Lubbock.

The remaining information pertains to the meet hotel, regulations, weathering yard rules, raffle coordination, registration, and other important meet details. Also, something else I am very pleased to have been given permission to try, a Field Meet Facebook page and Twitter account. Please like and follow us on Facebook and later on Twitter, ask questions, make suggestions, or just say hi. Otherwise, if anyone needs to reach out to us in more traditional methods I can be reached at frootdog@yahoo.com or 817-528-9743 and Brandi can be reached at brandi7777@yahoo.com or 940-507-0333.

2014 Annual NAFA Field Meet
    Dates: November 23-28, 2014
    Hotel: MCM Eleganté Hotel and Suites
    801 Ave Q
    Lubbock, Texas 79401
    http://mcmelegantelubbock.com
    Room rates: $79/night/room or $139/night/suite.
    (Price includes breakfast for up to 4 people per day per room.)
    Meet Details: For the most current Meet information please refer to
    http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Meets.htm or the NAFA Field Meet Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/2014NAFAMeet

Cancellation Policy: Full amount of the registration fee will be refunded if written cancellation notice is received no later than November 2nd. After this date, refunds will not be possible. (Written notification must be via email to brandi7777@yahoo.com or USPS to 7828 Hood St., Fort Worth, TX 76135.).

Reservations: As is customary, MCM Elegante will start accepting reservations on May 1st, 2014. Make your reservations early! At this time we have not negotiated preferred rates at any overflow hotels. We will revisit this if there is a need. To make reservations please call 806-763-1200 or make reservations online at a special NAFA attendees only page setup by the MCM Elegante for our group. Go to: http://www.reseze.net/cassets/mkt/mc...NAFA_Meet.html

Thanksgiving Dinner: There will be a Thanksgiving dinner provided by the hotel. This is something they already do every year and it is far cheaper than any “private” event we could hope to organize. The cost is $14.95 per person and there is no need to RSVP therefore it is not included on the preregistration form.

Hunting Information: Visiting and hunting in Texas is simple. No import permits or health certificates are required for your hunting partners. All you will need is an out of state hunting permit; $48 for a 5 day permit or $315 for the whole year – available at any location that sells hunting licenses. Endorsements or stamps you may need depend on your target quarry – Upland Game ($7) and Migratory Bird ($7). (Don’t forget a Federal Duck Stamp if you don’t already have yours.)

Non-Resident Trapping: For those interested in trapping while attending the NAFA meet, there are occasionally Harris’s hawks found in and around Lubbock. A two hour drive south to the Midland/Odessa area will yield larger populations for those who may be interested in trapping or watching Harris’s in their natural element. Prairie falcons and merlins are also found in and around Lubbock. The permit application can be found at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business...life/falconry/ . The fee is $378. Please give Texas Parks and Wildlife plenty of advanced notice if you intend to go trapping so they can issue you the appropriate permit.

Weathering Yard: The first call I made as Meet Chair was to Rich Borquist to make sure he and his team would again handle this very important responsibility. Rich and his team are ultimately responsible for the safely of all our birds while in the yard. Rich, Brandon Borquist, and Mario Nickerson will again be handling weathering yard duties. If you have any questions Rich can be reached at lowachi@hotmail.com or 309-369-4293. Mario can be reached at dirthawking@yahoo.com or 817-751-5775.
    Please remember, the Yard Warden has final authority on everything as it relates to the weathering yard. The yard rules are as follows
    No tid-bitting or feeding is allowed in or near the weathering yard. Perches should not be taller than the height of the bird Birds need to be tied short, i.e. fit within a 4' X 4' (16sq. ft.) area. No dogs allowed in the weathering yard (or at the gate entry area.) No Loitering in the yard (please keep story telling in the yard to a minimum) No photography inside the yard. (There are exceptions, and may require an escort. Please inquire at the gate).All transmitters must be turned off in the yard. (We will periodically sweep the yard and turn off any we find) The Yard Warden has final authority.
    From Rich: To add the above, because this is not a covered yard, nor is your bird the only bird there, the following rules have been added:
    a) No "fishing tackle" (coastal locks, etc.) allowed past micro sized raptors.
    b) No threaded links, spring clips, split rings allowed.
    c) Portable perches must be anchored.
    d) Take-apart perches: birds must be tied to the spike/anchored to the spot.
    These add-ons have all come about due to incidents in the past. Though none of them caused a death or permanent loss, their failures did result in escapes and/or an injury to other's birds and have been banned from the NAFA weathering yard. If you have any concerns, don't hesitate to ask me (Rich) or my crew. We try our best to check every bird's gear as they come into the yard the first time. We will be checking gear every day, throughout the day while your birds are in our care.
    Please remember, the wardens have the final say.
    Last year NAFA enacted a system of fines and rental fees and those are as follows…

Equipment rental and late fees in the weathering yard:
    At the complete discretion of the Weathering Yard Wardens… Perches may be rented for $10 the first day, $15 the second day with a two day maximum. Late fees for leaving your bird out past yard hours is $20 per occurrence.

Raffle Coordinator: I am pleased to announce that Michelle Anderson will be reprising her role as the NAFA Rafflemeister. Michelle can be reached at dragonflydreams888@hotmail.com or by phone at 651-245-7064. Raffles are held on various nights throughout the week with the prizes getting bigger and better as the week goes on culminating in the grand finale on Friday night. If you have ever wondered how you can help NAFA then here’s your chance. The income from the nightly raffles are key to NAFA’s finances, your raffle donations are imperative and much appreciated. Be creative. Remember, NAFA Meets have become a family event and there are plenty of spouses and kids attending and participating in the nightly raffles, so the items do not always have to be falconry related. If you would like to donate, please drop Michelle a line and ask her what she needs or what you can bring. If you can’t make it to the meet and would like to make a donation, we can help figure out a way to get your donation to the Meet.

Registration Coordinator: For some reason being Meet Co-Chair was not enough and Brandi has volunteered to be the registration coordinator again. Brandi can be reached at brandi7777@yahoo.com or 940-507-0333. There will be multiple opportunities throughout the week to check in and pick up preregistration packets or to register onsite. Those dates and times will be announced online at a later date.

Vendor Coordinator: Along with helping in the weathering yard, Mario Nickerson will be coordinating vending this year. His contact info is dirthawking@yahoo.com or 817-751-5775. The MCM Elegante has 15,000-square-foot meeting space, which features a 7,000-square-foot conference center as its centerpiece. That means there is a lot of room for evening meetings followed by nightly vending. If you are a falconry equipment vendor this is an opportunity to meet and hawk your wares to a collective audience of falconers. To make things easier on vendors we have reserved a block of first floor rooms, close to the vending are, just for vendors. To ensure you are assigned one of these rooms please contact Mario no later than October 1st. This is a first come first serve opportunity for a first floor room. Vending will be open Monday through Thursday with a special vendor raffle and meet and greet on Monday night.

Falconry Concierge (formerly Foreign Liaison): Peter Nolan has become the mainstay when it comes to arranging outings for our visiting guests. We are adding a special section to the new NAFA Field Meet Facebook page for visiting guests to sign up well in advance to ensure we can better arrange to get you out in the field. If you have any questions or special requests Peter can be reached at pnolanponds@gmail.com or 970-388-1667. Peter can arrange hawking parties for just about anyone, foreign guests, locals, and or anyone that wants to just go see something different flown on game. Trapping excursions are also popular activities for guests visiting from places where that don’t have the same luxuries and privileges we are lucky to have here in the US.
    Peter is one of a kind, with his Aussie accent (making him hard to understand at times), incredible personality, he is very approachable, hard to miss, and always smiling; he is the perfect person for the position. If you want to take someone out hawking or want to arrange seeing some hawking that is not available in your area give Peter a shout.

Spouse/Family Activities Coordinator: Larissa Nicolle will be leading the charge on this one. Lubbock and the surrounding area have several good choices for family activities such as the Buddy Holly Center, Legacy Play Village, Mackenzie Park and Prairie Dog Town, and the Science Spectrum, a hands-on, interactive science center. If there is interest again, a trip up to Palo Duro Canyon might also be in the offering. It is still very early and still in the planning stages, we will keep everyone updated. If you have any questions or special requests Larissa can be reached at lalamaz@hotmail.com or 214-288-0653.

Last but not least…. ‘There will be Blood III’………..
    Blood Drive: Ron Clarke is again organizing the 3rd annual NAFA blood drive. Details are still being worked out on this one, so stay tuned for more updates on “There will be blood 3”. If you have any questions, Ron can be reached at director_at_large_2@n-a-f-a.com or 907-723-6840.
    I hope you are all making plans to attend another great Texas NAFA Field Meet. If you have any questions or suggestions I’d love to hear them. Hope to see you all in Lubbock!

Hope to see you all in Lubbock!

Bob
    Krys Langevin

Who is Bob? LOL
    Fred

Non-Resident Trapping: For those interested in trapping while attending the NAFA meet, there are occasionally Harris’s hawks found in and around Lubbock. A two hour drive south to the Midland/Odessa area will yield larger populations for those who may be interested in trapping or watching Harris’s in their natural element. Prairie falcons and merlins are also found in and around Lubbock.
    There is one known family of HH's around Lubbock, but not a single one of them were spotted this past season. I hope they just moved and are doing well. As far as Midland/Odessa, there are HH's but finding them is a trick in itself sometimes. I've had times where I would see 4-5 in a day for 2 weeks and then go almost a month without finding them, and then see them again. Not sure where they go or if they just get into an area I can't get to them. For those that do wish to trap around Lubbock, there are plenty of prairies normally, RT's, and ferruginous are in pretty good numbers as well. Lot's of open farm roads and county roads to cruise. If you head south and start getting more into the oilfield area's, be careful. You may drive into an open cattle guard just to find it locked on your way back out and find out it's a private lease road, even though they are not always clearly marked.
    Chris

For those making hotel reservations using the online system, the system automatically put you in a double room. If you prefer a king bed or a suite, when you get to the screen below, click on the change request button and you can then make changes.

Brandi

I like:

1) keynote speaker

2) individuals

3) band

Bands are noisy and hard to talk over. Save the band for a normal night. And if you do have a band, my suggestion is to put them over "here" and the vendors over "there" so that we don't have to try to have conversations over the band. I played at the Kearney meet when the country band couldn't make it and I was separated from the main crowd- I like that 'cause people who want to listen/dance/whatever can do that and people who don't, don't have to. As a player, then I know that the people sitting there in front of me _want_ to be there and I interact better with them. But that's me and I ain't no rock 'n roll star.

But I don't care a whole lot one way or the other. Half the fun is to see what kind of surprise you've planned. It's boring when everything goes the way I want it to go.
    Bryan Kimsey

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post

"North American Falconer's Ass"? Is that a body part or are ya'll calling my squier names?
    Bryan Kimsey

Online Registration for the meet is now available. Click here!

If you have any problems, please contact me or Brandi.
    Fred

Thread Information