Thread: Meet a Falconer in my area

Default Meet a Falconer in my area

Hello to all,

I would like to meet a falconer in my area to learn more about falconry. After reading the Florida Fish and Game's website I stumbled upon hunting with birds of prey. I find this extremely fascinating and enjoy being in the woods as it is. I feel I would love this exciting sport and would appreciate the opportunity to be able to hunt with birds. Sounds much more fun than hunting with my rifles and shotguns. I live in the Tampa Bay area, specifically in New Port Richey, Florida. I am willing to drive. I am married and have two boys. I am a Law Enforcement Officer.

My phone number is 727-267-1013.

Eric Blomgren

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eblomgren View Post
    Hello to all,

I would like to meet a falconer in my area to learn more about falconry. After reading the Florida Fish and Game's website I stumbled upon hunting with birds of prey. I find this extremely fascinating and enjoy being in the woods as it is. I feel I would love this exciting sport and would appreciate the opportunity to be able to hunt with birds. Sounds much more fun than hunting with my rifles and shotguns. I live in the Tampa Bay area, specifically in New Port Richey, Florida. I am willing to drive. I am married and have two boys. I am a Law Enforcement Officer.

My phone number is 727-267-1013.

Eric Blomgren
    Eric, My name is Eric too., Do you have any memories, experiences of hawks that reside in your head long after they were seen? Saw one catch something close to you? See a wounded one being cared for?
    Your thoughts expressed about being interested are fine, but maybe not enough to actually become a falconer. Nothing wrong with being a raptor fan. Actual Falconry is not for everyone. It is in reality, very time consuming and life encompassing(much like having a kid or a horse, etc.

If none of that deters you than welcome to this journey. There are sublime rewards.

Eric

Default Feel its more than just being a fan

Eric,

I am only 33 but I have come to an understanding that you only live once. I feel I will be missing out on a great experience. I love the outdoors and have always been interested in birds, specifically Hawks and other Birds of Prey. I honestly enjoy seeing these birds as much, or better yet, more than that nice buck sneaking through the woods. With this being said I just recently learned that you can hunt with these birds. I understand it is a major commitment to the birds and is very time consuming. I do not know if I am in a position to do this now, but I would like, if anything, to meet someone who is knowledgeable and learn from them, help out, and go on some hunts. Maybe down the road I will be able to officially start the process if someone will sponsor me, etc….I watched some youtube videos of people hunting their birds and I'm blown away. Its just the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I feel sick to my stomach that I didn't find this sport sooner, what have I been doing? I would love to be able to have a bird and hunt with my bird as long as I know, for sure, I can commit to it. I will say, from the reading I have done so far, I feel without question the reward of working with the birds is worth the time necessary to devote to them. Oh and yes, years ago I was walking out of my front door and I happen to see a rat running in the grass about 20 yards away. Just as I noticed the rat, a Red Tail Hawk nabbed it. It was amazing to see.

Thank you for the quick reply, do you live in my area by chance Eric? Also I was going to buy North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks 9th edition to start for a book to read….any suggestions? Feel free to call, I would love to chat with someone about it, this is actually the first time I have ever posted on a thread!

Thanks again Sir for your time,

Eric Blomgren

Joining your state Falconry club would be a good idea; they generally hold meets and other events where you can meet others involved with the sport. It might not be a bad idea to check out The Modern Apprentice if you have not done so already as well; it's a good, free source of basic information on falconry.
    Robert Weber Jr

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Eric,

I am only 33 but I have come to an understanding that you only live once. I feel I will be missing out on a great experience. I love the outdoors and have always been interested in birds, specifically Hawks and other Birds of Prey. I honestly enjoy seeing these birds as much, or better yet, more than that nice buck sneaking through the woods. With this being said I just recently learned that you can hunt with these birds. I understand it is a major commitment to the birds and is very time consuming. I do not know if I am in a position to do this now, but I would like, if anything, to meet someone who is knowledgeable and learn from them, help out, and go on some hunts. Maybe down the road I will be able to officially start the process if someone will sponsor me, etc….I watched some youtube videos of people hunting their birds and I'm blown away. Its just the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I feel sick to my stomach that I didn't find this sport sooner, what have I been doing? I would love to be able to have a bird and hunt with my bird as long as I know, for sure, I can commit to it. I will say, from the reading I have done so far, I feel without question the reward of working with the birds is worth the time necessary to devote to them. Oh and yes, years ago I was walking out of my front door and I happen to see a rat running in the grass about 20 yards away. Just as I noticed the rat, a Red Tail Hawk nabbed it. It was amazing to see.

Thank you for the quick reply, do you live in my area by chance Eric? Also I was going to buy North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks 9th edition to start for a book to read….any suggestions? Feel free to call, I would love to chat with someone about it, this is actually the first time I have ever posted on a thread!

Thanks again Sir for your time,

Eric Blomgren
    I used to live in Florida, Miami area to be exact. I found it to be too restrictive to what i wanted to do as a falconer so I left a long time ago. But I still feel stronglly about the area and the magic it can convey. Get with the Florida Hawking Fraternity, go to their meets. You will be inspired.

My wife and I are both falconers we live in Wesley chapel. Not to far from you.
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Eric,

The time required for the sport can be daunting but on the otherhand it can be managed by the working man. I know one Arizona highway patrol officer who hawks falcons in the state and my neighbor who is a capt. in the sherif's dept. hawks a female Cooper's and a female Harris'. As Eric says get in touch with the Florida Hawking Frat. and visit some of the boys in the sport. At 33 you are not dry behind the ears...I have 50 years on you and I hawk about 6 days per week.

Harry.

Eric,

I am only 33

I watched some youtube videos of people hunting their birds and I'm blown away. Its just the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I feel sick to my stomach that I didn't find this sport sooner, what have I been doing? I would love to be able to have a bird and hunt with my bird as long as I know, for sure, I can commit to it.

This is almost exactly the situation I found myself in about 4 years ago. I did the same thing you're doing - found someone willing to take me hunting with them, where I confirmed that I had to do it. I just finished my 3rd season as a falconer and I don't see myself stopping as long as I can walk.

Good luck.
    Scott Wright

I have sent you a PM. FFA is strongly suggested. Florida Falconers Association. Feel free to contact me as well. Not all in Florida are so stand off and non receptive to people seeking info and wanting to get into the sport if it indeed suits them.
    Joe N.

Florida Panhandel

Thank you all very much, I am very impressed with the quick responses I have received. From reading about this lifestyle I got the impression It could be difficult to get with people, felt like people may be standoffish but I am pleased to know that's not the case. I got the chance to talk to someone at length over the phone and I am very excited. Thank you KT for reaching out as well, you and your wife are the closest ones to me so far, my sister in law lives in Westley Chapel and I plan on talking to you soon! I wish I didn't become aware of falconry when the season is closing lol. Thanks again you all are awesome! I plan on getting a copy of North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks, and and the CCH guide (not sure if I have the acronym correct at the moment lol). Need to read!!!!

Need to read!!!!

Please start with the forum rules. Thanks for understanding.
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Default Forum rules

Did I break a rule?

Did I break a rule?
    Bah go easy on 'em there Mario, this is the first forum he's ever used.

But yes Eric, read the site rules under "site information" in the "forum info" category.

Go into your profile, and edit your signature line, add atleast your full first name. They don't like people hiding behind usernames. lol
    -Mark

Wink

Lol...Ok fair enough didn't even notice that! Also just throwing it out there my user name is my first initial and last name...and I belive I gave everyone my cell phone and first and last name in my first thread! If I'm hiding then I'm doing a horrible job lol..thanks for the suggestion I'll update it asap!

Lol...Ok fair enough didn't even notice that! Also just throwing it out there my user name is my first initial and last name...and I belive I gave everyone my cell phone and first and last name in my first thread! If I'm hiding then I'm doing a horrible job lol..thanks for the suggestion I'll update it asap!
    It's no problem Eric,

Like I told you the other night, it's the off season, and falconers are grouchy!
    -Mark

Sadly they will not accept just an initial and last name. It has to be real first name and last or just real first name. Hope that helps more.
    Joe N.

Florida Panhandel

Eric, my name is Hollie and I am KT's wife I wanted to let you know that we are both members if the Florida Hawking Fraternity and NAFA so if you need ant information on either one let us know....
    Hollie Topash
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones's soul remains unawakened!!!!

Thread Information