Thread: Found gyr/gyr hybrid-Toledo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Found gyr/gyr hybrid-Toledo

I don't know if anyone can see these Facebook photos but here they are.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Bird...7431731988684/

Seen in Toledo two-ish weeks ago. Two seamless metal bands, no equipment.
    Briana Tallitsch-"...you cannot love game and hate predators... The land is one organism.”~ Aldo Leopold

Falconry breeders in the US use one gold seamless band. I would suspect that bird was banded as a nestling at an eyrie for a research project, but who knows.
    -Ryan

Can't get to that page, Briana. Try re-upping to good old imgur, I guess.
    Lauren Helton

Does anyone know what breeders in Canada use? Someone commented that a breeder in southern Canada had lost several birds in a strong windstorm.
    Briana Tallitsch-"...you cannot love game and hate predators... The land is one organism.”~ Aldo Leopold

Lauren, here's a link to the photos on Imgur.

http://imgur.com/B5KSsR8,zm4AdsV#0

Looks like a hybrid to my eye, a gyr typically has feathering a bit further down the tarsus, could be the stance that makes it appear as such, or I could be blowing smoke out of my a**.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

There have been some breeders recently who've used just breeder's bands on their gyr hybrids due to an interpretation of the regs that they believe allowed them to not have to use one of the gold federal bands. This one could have been an escapee from one of those breeders, or might have originated from one of them.
    Joe
    central Ohio

Whatever it's origin, it would sure peak my interest to trap it, considering it's been at "hack" for who knows how long, making a living on its own and all. It might have the makings of a great falconry bird.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Quote Originally Posted by falcon56 View Post
    Whatever it's origin, it would sure peak my interest to trap it, considering it's been at "hack" for who knows how long, making a living on its own and all. It might have the makings of a great falconry bird.
    Agreed! There's a couple of guys from up that ways on the forum. Wonder if they could drop by with a harnessed pigeon.....
    Joe
    central Ohio

Is anyone able to trap this falcon? I emailed photos to Jim Wilson, a breeder just over the border in Canada and he believes it is his falcon. When we had a falcon blow into town from an abatement project he told me that he had lost some 2013 falcons from a chamber in a storm. Turns out the one we had had been sold to an abatement project in Quebec (which she is safely home at now) but that there are still possibly 3 falcons at large.
    They would be wearing double silver bands, have no equipment and be gyr x sakers...exactly like this falcon.
    His phone number would be on the left leg band.

Has anyone seen or heard about this falcon lately?
    Abby
    Doha, Qatar

The gentleman on Facebook said he hasnt seen them in two weeks but I will contact him again and let him know that we likely know who they belong to and to contact me ASAP if he sees then again.

Okay, I sent him a message. Hopefully he spots them again or hears of someone in the area seeing them.

Thread Information