Thread: Hi from Phoenix, AZ

Default Hi from Phoenix, AZ

Hi everyone,
    My name is Josh Duffy and I'm fairly new to the sport. My good buddy Dan (AKA 'Hawkincrazy') got me hooked last year when I witnessed his experience with his female Harris, Ra. After spending most of last year tagging along with them and attending a few AFA events, I decided it was time to start working towards getting licensed and building the necessary materials. Now as a new member of AFA, NAFEX, and after recently acquiring my apprentice license, I look forward to continue my learning from the wealth of experience/knowledge available.

I'm hoping to try and trap a male Harris this year and have gone scouting/trapping several times thus far. Tucson looks very promising since we saw probably over 12 adult and 3-4 juvenile Harris'. Scottsdale we saw about 5, but all were adult. I've dropped the trap a few times already but not had any luck on getting them to come down. My next window of opportunity will be in June/July when I have 6 days off. Here's to crossing my fingers. Although I am super excited and enthusiastic about getting my first bird, I really want to stay focused on doing things right and learning from all those who are willing to share insight.

After reading the forum rules of engagement, I attempted to update my signature with my name but I am just getting a spin wheel. Not sure why that is, but I'll try to figure it out. Apologies in advance forum police.

Thanks,

Josh Duffy
    Apprentice (Arizona)

Default Whats up Josh

Quote Originally Posted by hypnotek View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Josh Duffy and I'm fairly new to the sport. My good buddy Dan (AKA 'Hawkincrazy') got me hooked last year when I witnessed his experience with his female Harris, Ra. After spending most of last year tagging along with them and attending a few AFA events, I decided it was time to start working towards getting licensed and building the necessary materials. Now as a new member of AFA, NAFEX, and after recently acquiring my apprentice license, I look forward to continue my learning from the wealth of experience/knowledge available.

I'm hoping to try and trap a male Harris this year and have gone scouting/trapping several times thus far. Tucson looks very promising since we saw probably over 12 adult and 3-4 juvenile Harris'. Scottsdale we saw about 5, but all were adult. I've dropped the trap a few times already but not had any luck on getting them to come down. My next window of opportunity will be in June/July when I have 6 days off. Here's to crossing my fingers. Although I am super excited and enthusiastic about getting my first bird, I really want to stay focused on doing things right and learning from all those who are willing to share insight.

After reading the forum rules of engagement, I attempted to update my signature with my name but I am just getting a spin wheel. Not sure why that is, but I'll try to figure it out. Apologies in advance forum police.

Thanks,

Josh Duffy
    Apprentice (Arizona)
    What part of AZ you in? Im in Waddell (West Phx). I flew two Harris's (male and female) last season and had a blast. We mainly hunted jacks and I'm guessing you will be too. A male is faster more agile and will slay cotton tails and quail but mine had a lot of trouble hanging on to the jacks. The female took over 50 and the male barely got 1 on his own... Your choice just my experience go with a female if ur hunting jacks....
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

Hey Joseph,
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I am in the East valley, Gilbert/Warner area. To be honest, I am hoping for a male because of the flight pattern difference (just like you pointed out) but if I get a female that would be cool too. I'll be sure to post pictures on whichever I get and start flying.

Thanks again,

Josh
    Josh Duffy
    Gilbert, AZ

Yeah for sure id love to see some pics when you get him/her! Dang we could have flown our harris's in a cast... unfortunately I transferred both of mine so that I could get some longwings for an abatement contract I have. We'll have to do some hawking when the season comes round ... ur so lucky!... 2 years ago when I was an apprentice I had to start with a red tail (awesome birds, just not the killing consistency of a hh)
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

That's what I have read and heard. I consider myself fortunate that us apprentices can take passage HH now days. It would be great to meet up sometime. I'd really like to see more longwings in action.

Let me know when you go out, September is coming up quick!

Cheers,

Josh
    Josh Duffy
    Gilbert, AZ

September cant come soon enough lol
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

Totally hear you there. With all seriousness though. Let me know when you head out. Someday I'd like to cross over to the darkside and longwing... but that is a long ways out.
    Josh Duffy
    Gilbert, AZ

Haha ur right I didnt even realize I switched sides....I have an Aplomado (flying and conditioning) a 30 day old gyr/peregrine (obviously still growing) and another Aplomado that should be coming next week (30 days old as well)...Probably wont do anymore hawking until I get back from my abatement gig in Washington...by then ill be graduated, have some cash, 2 long wings, and all the time in the world...its gonna be awesome! Any duck ponds by you?
    Definitely give me a call or shoot me a text if you have any questions 623 512 9428
    You prob already have ur sponsor helping u trap, but if you need some help I love trapping
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

That's awesome! Got any pictures of em?

Yeah, there are duck ponds in my area but mostly in residential areas. So that won't work. Although I will admit, they are excellent for a little car hawking.

I'm going trapping again on the 31st. Pretty sure I am going to head out to Tucson again, lots of families out there. You're welcome to join. My sponsor and another falconry buddy will likely be going.

Feel free to shoot me a text or call anytime. 480.286.8281
    Josh Duffy
    Gilbert, AZ

Thread Information