There a a lot of falconers in california, but I had to travel 2 hours to meet one. I hve been a falconer for 2 years now.

Unsolicited advice:
- It is the wrong time of the year. I just let my Red-Tail Hawk go and will not get a new bird for a few months. Those that keep birds year round are molting and likely would not wish to be disturbed.
- If you wish to be a spectator sign up for the CHC hawking meet. They are in the fall and winter when the birds are actively hunting. -Legitimate falconers will not take money for falconry because it is against the rules and we do not wish our privileges jeopardized.
-If you wish to participate rather than spectate then you need to read the how to become a falconer FAQ on this forum. It does a better job than I of explaining the process.
-If you are really eager like I was, then search your area for a 40+ acre vacant lot on the outside of town bordering an agricultural field on one side and a industrial park on the other. Walk through the field and kick the blackberry bushes and tumble weeds. If you flush more than 4 rabbits in an hour, you have found a potential hawking field. If you can find a second field within a half hour drive, then the falconers will find you.