Quote Originally Posted by jeffandheidi View Post
I think so. Right now she is on the living room floor and does very well. I would like to continue flying her for a couple more weeks before we stop, she is on such a roll putting on some incredible flights every time we go out.

Example: early in the season when something flushed she would just explode off my hand and chase whatever she was after flapping crazily until she caught it or not. Lately when she leaves my hand she just jumps off but keeps her wings in until she is low to the ground and then flaps in short bursts to build speed and it seems like she twists her tail to maneuver between flaps. It's always over so fast, but I can tell a difference in her flight.

I'm kicking around the idea now of setting up a table perch in the downstairs family room for the molt. There's still lots of family activity so she won't spend much time alone, but the constant lights won't be a distraction to the rest of us when we want to sleep. Also this is the best way I can think of to be sure my RT never sees the sharpy. Ever.

How are you planning to feed during the molt? At the perch or in another location? Just curious. I don't know yet how I'm going to handle it.

I flew my last sharpie through December until she was injured by the rabbit she decided to tackle. I'm tossing around the idea of hunting her through Spring and putting her up for the molt in a smaller outdoor mews I have this summer. It's simply fun going out with her and watching how she has improved over the last month in her flights and abilities. I'm not ready to put her up just yet. Wanting to try for doves in our later dove season here. If I decide to try and molt her with lights I will fatten her up an keep her in my office on the setup I pasted a pic of below. I've been very happy with it so far. As for feeding her, I have been unclipping her and she flies to the kitchen where I already have her portion for the day out for her on the table. After she is done eating I usually set out the bath pan and let her get a drink and bath. She then hops to the glove and I clip her back up on the perch. Still deciding on best plan when she is heavy and trying to molt. I will probably turn off light, set measured food on shelf with her, turn back on light.