Thread: What is an “imprint”?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some years ago I was travelling through the atlas & sahara.

Long story short, the pro/con topic of passage, haggard & imprints came about between falconers of different cultures.

I watched our guide call in a cuckoo who gave him a very curious glance.
    After a little conversation between them the cuckoo turned out to be male and pushed home his advances.

He who whistles the right tune becomes a trigger.

"Imprinting" a basic term & name applied to waterfowl, game birds and the like, who make that quick connection in order to survive.

As yet, our language does not cater to the more advanced stages, degrees & levels over a longer time frame that we see in Raptors,

Made harder by the fact we have all experienced similar but from very different angles with unseen considerations, aspects & influences that would mildly & greatly effect the likely hood of us having the same results scientifically.

Bit like science experiments prior to our being aware of bacteria & atoms

We know a lot, but in reality know very little, we all like to guess, and suggest we know to each other, when really were only just scraping the surface.
    Marcus Lloyd-Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Gerkin View Post
    Bit like science experiments prior to our being aware of bacteria & atoms

We know a lot, but in reality know very little, we all like to guess, and suggest we know to each other, when really were only just scraping the surface.
    Marcus, there is a big difference between us becoming aware of bacteria and atoms and trying to understand imprinting. On the one hand, all we needed was a powerful enough microscope, on the other we need to get into the head of an animal. So ultimately we are left with our considered opinions and supposition, with some being more credible than others.

Bill Boni

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Marcus, there is a big difference between us becoming aware of bacteria and atoms
    "our language" was more in reference to the technical terms bounced between falconers as clear cut terms.

Atoms & bacteria was more description of "its there, even if you cant see it.

Its up to you Bill, to try and extract information from those like me & seem to succeed with imprints, yet obviously fail to portray the "how too" in to words ;-)
    Marcus Lloyd-Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Gerkin View Post
    Its up to you Bill, to try and extract information from those like me & seem to succeed with imprints, yet obviously fail to portray the "how too" in to words ;-)
    I know it seems that way, Marcus, but I am really trying to not be perceived in that vein, as it creates too many misunderstandings that I can do without at this point in the ballgame.

Thanks for the explanation.

Bill Boni

Thread Information