Thread: Hello from Montana!

Talking Hello from Montana!

Hello everyone, and greetings from Bozeman, Montana!

My name is James Sonntag, I'm a 23yo Software Developer with a passion for the outdoors and a strong love and respect for all birds of prey.

I was first exposed to falconry by a neighbor of mine, when I was just a young boy living in Minnesota; and ever since going on a hunt with him and his partner(I think she was a Broad-winged Hawk), I have always dreamed of a life with one of these majestic creatures.

So now here I am. I've been reading-up on all things falconry (still need to order that CHC study guide), and hope to start making connections around my area. I'm not in a huge rush to get going, since it'll be a good year until I have a suitable place to house it; but I feel like now's the perfect time to prepare and socialize with the others.

The hardest part seems to be locating falconers in my area, so if anyone knows of a falconer in my area, or how to get in touch with the falconry club for Montana, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for reading and I hope to be able to participate as much as possible!
    James
    Bozeman, Montana

Welcome! You are in a great state to become a falconer!
    Forrest
    Northern Plains

Hey James
    You can contact Gerald Geiger at hilinepeales@hotmail.com, he's the MFA secretary, I believe. Who did you go out with in MN? I'm up by Great Falls now, but I spent the last 14 yrs as a falconer in MN

Thanks, Forrest! It's definitely been a great place to hunt, so I'm sure things are going to be even better when a hawk's involved. I bet SD is a blast as well!

Tasha, I just emailed Gerald and hopefully I'll hear from him soon! Unfortunately I can't recall the man's name, it's been a good 13 years since, and I have a terrible memory haha.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
    James
    Bozeman, Montana

Hi James,

I'm over the hill in Livingston, there's another falconer here too. We're moving down to Pray within the coming month. There are a few on your side of the hill too.

I'm from MN too, i'd be curious to know who you went out with there.

I'll shoot you a PM, we should grab a beer sometime.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

James,
    Welcome to the group. I’m over in Helena but know several falconers in the Bozeman/Three Forks area & would be happy to give you their information. Drop me a note if you’re ever in the Helena area & we’ll go chase some critters come hunting season.
    T.J.
    Montana

That's awesome! It's great to know there are plenty of falconers around!

I think I actually lucked out and spotted a falconer in Belgrade. He's got 2 full coops of pigeons and a beautiful hawk/falcon that's white and black spotted (somewhat like a snowy owl pattern).

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, hopefully I'll be able to meet some of you at the next meetup.
    James
    Bozeman, Montana

James,
    I'm guessing that's Sam you’re talking about. Great guy & an extremely knowledgeable & talented falconer. Say hi for me & tell him I still want to see his UAV in action with his gyr.
    T.J.
    Montana

Thread Information