Hey Folks,

I seem to be the recipient of missing hawk related inquiries from my state agency. Not that I mind! :-)

This one is a bit of a puzzler. This beautiful Juvi Red-tail has been sighted repeatedly near Tosohatchee FL wearing a band that has the number 94 punched on it. I'm trying to get more details as to exactly where in Tosohatchee, but it has been seen in the same location numerous times. It has been reported as coming to people (within 5 feet) and showing very little fear.

I'm not sure if this is a release from a rehabilitator or an escaped falconry bird. Local rehabbers have been contacted and all said that they do not release birds with identifiers on them. I don't see why a falconer would put that type of metal band on a bird; I would think that it could interfere with the anklets, but everybody has their own way of doing things. Maybe is hacking it or raised it illegally... who knows. But either way, there is a very nice looking and friendly red-tail in Tosohatchee that may or may not be someone's falconry bird.

I can see this bird just getting into trouble with its lack of fear. So maybe some nice falconer could do this bird a solid and bring her into captivity? If she were near me, I'd think about trying to get her, but I also have my hands full with my own little fuzzy bundle this season.

I'll try to add the photos to entice you! (just as soon as I can figure that one out again)