Thread: hello from Missouri

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default hello from Missouri

I am a new apprentice falconer. Caught my first bird today with my sponsor. Great time! I live in Missouri and love to hunt, trap, and fish with my daughters and wife. I also play the bagpipes but don't hold that against me. Glad to be here.
    Brian

Congrats Brian,
    Bagpipes kick ass, brings out my inner William Wallace for sure.
    Congrats
    Good luck and have fun on the ride
    Eric
    "Make love loudly- make war silently"

You succeeded in trapping a bird early. You will be hawking early.

I don't know it Eric likes bag pipe music so much as he likes looking at duds in kilts?
    Keith Thompson
    Treat everyone you meet with dignity and respect....but have a plan to kill them just in case

congrats Mr. Brian I plan to trap a rt soon
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

Way to go Brian, let the games begin.
    Mike Mallett, St Louis MO

Thanks everyone! Good luck to ya Luke!
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Hey Brian,
    Any details or pics? You can't just get on and say I got a new bird and not share any trapping stories or picks to go with it Congrats on the new bird by the way!!! Now the true fun begins!!!
    Cory Martin
    "Falconry is NOT a Hobby, but rather a WAY OF LIFE"

Lol, I will post some pics. She was 1202g. We had missed one earlier in the morning. This one nailed the trap. The only real story to tell would be how jumpy I got when she hit it. She was caught... At least I thought well enough and I was ready to move in. My sponsor kept holding me back. Many minutes... Felt like days. Finally I saw her meet his requirments for moving in and we did so. Great experience and 3 days of trapping to get there. Very happy with the results. Now I have to pick a name. My wife and I are thinking Kitty Hawk so I can go outside and say "Here Kitty Kitty Kitty" for fun.
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Congrats Brian, and welcome aboard.
    Jeff

Here is one picture for now:

Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Bagpipes, and Hawks, It just does not get any better, I love the pipes. Do tell what manner of pipes ye play. Scots, Northumbrian small, uillean, Galicean ?, or other.
    Gad, I tried to learn the Galicean about 50 years ago, but Uncle Sam desired my presence in the military. After 4 years of that, it was alcohol Hawks and Women that commanded my attention.
    I still try to attend any gathering of Pipers when I can.

Great good fortune to you in your Hawking, and Piping.

The Celts will rule once more.
    Wm, (Bill) Maguire

I play the great highland bagpipes right now. Our Scottish heritage is what made me research falconry in the first place. Keep playing!
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Well, I don't know how much anyone would care but I am excited today. Xena (my kids helped me name her) made her first jump to the glove and then repeated up to 10 ft. Now the fun begins! Took 8 days. I don't know how good or bad that is, but i am happy lol.
    Last edited by Stryker777; 08-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker777 View Post
    Well, I don't know how much anyone would care but I am excited today. Xena (my kids helped me name her) made her first jump to the glove and then repeated up to 10 ft. Now the fun begins! Took 8 days. I don't know how good or bad that is, but i am happy lol.
    Congrats! The feeling you get when they first jump to you is something that will never go away. Next big WOW feeling comes when they are sailing to you from a distance, gives you enough time to admire the fact that a wild bird is coming to land on your fist. Some people think falconry makes them elite, but the only elite thing about it is that so few of us get to experience raptors in such a personal way. Enjoy and keep us updated!
    C.J. van der Merwe
    "A bird's value does not decrease due to your inability to see it's worth."

Thank you CJ! You are right on. I am thankful to have the opportunity and a great bird to take it on with me.
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Welcome and huge congrats on a beautiful bird! Sounds like her training is coming right along - ENJOY Brian!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Today was the first day outside on the creance. We got 30ft, with my dogs setting at my feet, and almost 40ft. I am very amazed! She never tried to take off. She left my hand once and went straight to the bale I had set her on prior and came right back for another tidbit. Tomorrow we will let the creance out a bit more and try to get the full range. However, she does not respond to a whistle or her name yet. Just have to be in her view.
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

I have to expound on the last post so it is understood what I mean by responding to name or whistle. I do not expect her to come to my by name like a puppy. I was saying that if she is looking away from me, no sound I make turns her head to see that I have a tidbit available. Soon, she will realize that when I whistle at her, she should turn her head to see me.
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Just an update. We are free flying. She is doing great. The issues we had have been dealt with. Now I am wanting to find a receiver for some telemetry. We had a good flight yesterday but the wind picked up and she sure looked like she wanted to go. Had to turn her attention with some food.
    Brian Andrews
    1+1=10

Hi Brian! Sounds like you are doing well! Are you able to do any hunting with your sponsor?
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Thread Information