Thread: Potential Falconer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Potential Falconer

My name is Jason, and I have begun to seriously look at falconry these last few months. I recently moved to Minnesota after living most of my life in Oklahoma, and I realized that I may be near a point in my life when I could possibly enjoy this art.

I may have recently begun collecting literature on falconry, but I am no stranger to nature. I am an Eagle Scout and an alumni of the National Outdoor Leadership School. I grew up bird hunting, and fishing with my family. I always loved watching the hawks hunt my neighbors field when I was young.

I have been scouring over The Modern Apprentice site, and I have begun collecting supposedly appropriate books for my level of expertise (which is slim to none on the technical ins and outs). I joined the MN Falconry Association this last month, and have already been receiving a plethora of advice.

This next year promises to be an exciting one for me. I will either be accepted into a Doctorate of Physical Therapy program for next fall, or I will have to wait another year. In the latter case, I will have a change to hopefully engage on my first year of falconry. I have heard of people going through graduate school while practicing falconry, but I am unsure if it would be advisable with the program I am looking at. The first couple of semesters are 21 credit hours. This means 21 class hours a week, with 2-4X that much in study hours (in undergraduate school, you are required to have written permission from a school official to take more than 18 hours. Even when I do get into grad school, all it means is a little hiatus for a few years.

I hope my intro wasn't too lengthy, but this is the abridged version of how I ended up on this site (referenced from the www.mnfalconry.org).
    Last edited by carnijazz; 10-15-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Make a couple small changes I forgot about.
    Jason-Elk River, MN

Thread Information