Thread: Potential Falconer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Potential Falconer

My name is Jason, and I have begun to seriously look at falconry these last few months. I recently moved to Minnesota after living most of my life in Oklahoma, and I realized that I may be near a point in my life when I could possibly enjoy this art.

I may have recently begun collecting literature on falconry, but I am no stranger to nature. I am an Eagle Scout and an alumni of the National Outdoor Leadership School. I grew up bird hunting, and fishing with my family. I always loved watching the hawks hunt my neighbors field when I was young.

I have been scouring over The Modern Apprentice site, and I have begun collecting supposedly appropriate books for my level of expertise (which is slim to none on the technical ins and outs). I joined the MN Falconry Association this last month, and have already been receiving a plethora of advice.

This next year promises to be an exciting one for me. I will either be accepted into a Doctorate of Physical Therapy program for next fall, or I will have to wait another year. In the latter case, I will have a change to hopefully engage on my first year of falconry. I have heard of people going through graduate school while practicing falconry, but I am unsure if it would be advisable with the program I am looking at. The first couple of semesters are 21 credit hours. This means 21 class hours a week, with 2-4X that much in study hours (in undergraduate school, you are required to have written permission from a school official to take more than 18 hours. Even when I do get into grad school, all it means is a little hiatus for a few years.

I hope my intro wasn't too lengthy, but this is the abridged version of how I ended up on this site (referenced from the www.mnfalconry.org).
    Last edited by carnijazz; 10-15-2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Make a couple small changes I forgot about.
    Jason-Elk River, MN

Good luck Jason have a fun ride!!!
    If you don't have it already I highly recommend the California hawking club apprentice study guide book it is great for getting ready for the test.
    And if you are going to get a rt the falconer's apprentice book by William C. Oakes.
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

Welcome to the forum Jason. this is a great place to find information and all the knowledgeable falconers here are quick to help out w/ questions you may have. I agree with Luke, the chc study guide is very helpful but you'll have to get ahold your state regulations too.
    Derek Boyles

I actually just finished reading the CA apprentice manual and study guide. Before that I read the DNR packet. My recent purchase was A Falconry Manual by Frank Beebe. My next purchase (next paycheck) was going to be either The Falconer's Apprentice or a Peterson Field guide. I am not really sure what I should look at after the Beebe book. I am trying to be knowledgeable for taking the exam. The recommended reading on the MN DNR is really outdated (commissioner's words not mine) so I am not really sure. She didn't have any recommendations for what I should be reading.
    Jason-Elk River, MN

Hey Jason! It was good seeing you at the meet last weekend. You're on the right track. As I'm sure you've already figured out, hanging out with and asking questions around other falconers is a great way to learn. I know I pick up a lot just listening to more experienced guys (and gals) talk. Best wishes for your future education plans. Sounds like you have your priorities straight. Even if you don't get a bird in the next year or two, you're always welcome to tag along and beat the brush. It's almost more fun getting to see the flights without the hassle of having a bird.
    Josh, MN

Thread Information