Thread: Hello from NE Ohio

Default Hello from NE Ohio

My name is Steve and live in North East Ohio on a farm. A few years back we retired from all livestock. Now we are a small grain operation. I grew up in the fields and woods with a great appreciation for nature and the outdoors (Thanks Dad!).
    I love hunting, bow hunting, photography (amateur, nature, wildlife and outdoors), and working in the woods and fields. My favorite subjects for photography are raptors, especially the eagles along Lake Erie.
    I have had falconry in the back of my mind for a long time, but didn’t know much about the process until recently. I’ve unofficially helped our local raptors hunt while mowing/raking/baling hay and brush hogging or plowing fallow fields pushing out mice, moles and rabbits. This summer a young RT crashed at a cottontail 3 times before nailing it only 30 yards from my tractor. Gave great chase and I was thrilled to have a front row seat. I watched him for the next hour as the hawk picked apart and downed the fresh meal.
    Last year I struck up a conversation with a local falconer who was looking for permission to hunt. That conversation lasted a long time. It was great to get some first hand information about falconry and the process from trapping to hunting with a raptor. I have joined NAFA, OFA, and this forum. I’ll hopefully be joining the Pennsylvania Falconry and Hawk Trust also (I need to know a member for a reference) as I am fairly close to the OH/PA border. I am also looking for a sponsor. I have a been on a few hunts with a local Falconer (who unfortunately just moved away). I am also reading recommended books on Falconry while I wait to find a sponsor. I’ll appreciate any help and guidance to help me become an apprentice.
    Steve H

to NAFEX! Enjoy your journey into falconry!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Hi steve. My name is Joe. I'm the apprentice director for OFA. I'd be more than happy to help you find some other falconers in your area. Just shoot me a PM and I'll get back with you.
    Joe
    central Ohio

Thanks Deb & Joe. Joe, I'll send you a PM, that'd be great!
    Steve H

Good luck Steve hope you get a sponsor soon.
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

Thread Information