Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A warm welcome to Ed Pitcher and Ricardo Velarde- The flying of falcons

Default Ay oop

Hi Ricardo,

Pleased to make contact. I can see that this thread has been quiet for a while, and perhaps it has served its purpose for you already. I have some questions and points I'd really like to discuss, but I appreciate that the Internet is a good way to get badgered to death by a zillion folk from all over. If you don't mind talking that would be great, but I'll understand if being pestered about how to fly Falcons has got a bit old by now.

I borrowed TFOF from a friend and read it in double quick time; just brill, really. I was glued to it. Particularly good was the fact that it straightened out some of my own thoughts and made the road clear. No doubt it has saved me a lot of trial and error, and some disappointing (and disappointed) hawks.

I have an imprinted Tiercel that I got in December of his first season, he having apparently been sat on a block having food thrown to him until that point. Barely flown at all. He is now at the end of his second season, so he will start his second moult this year.

He has, and is, setting me some challenges. But he has had some successes too. If you don't mind taking a little time to help me work through the glitches that would be really great.

Best wishes,

Andy Heath

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Heath View Post
    Hi Ricardo,

Pleased to make contact. I can see that this thread has been quiet for a while, and perhaps it has served its purpose for you already. I have some questions and points I'd really like to discuss, but I appreciate that the Internet is a good way to get badgered to death by a zillion folk from all over. If you don't mind talking that would be great, but I'll understand if being pestered about how to fly Falcons has got a bit old by now.

I borrowed TFOF from a friend and read it in double quick time; just brill, really. I was glued to it. Particularly good was the fact that it straightened out some of my own thoughts and made the road clear. No doubt it has saved me a lot of trial and error, and some disappointing (and disappointed) hawks.

I have an imprinted Tiercel that I got in December of his first season, he having apparently been sat on a block having food thrown to him until that point. Barely flown at all. He is now at the end of his second season, so he will start his second moult this year.

He has, and is, setting me some challenges. But he has had some successes too. If you don't mind taking a little time to help me work through the glitches that would be really great.

Best wishes,

Andy Heath
    Andy. I am sorry I have not responded a little more. None of the above, just life gets in the way. I am busy working in the shop with a few deadlines, but you are welcome to give me a call. 435 901 1773.
    I would be interested to hear about what that little tiercel is doing.
    Regards RV
    Ricardo Velarde- Coauthor, The Flying of Falcons
    To Purchase a Copy: www.theflyingoffalcons.com
    My email: flyingfalcons@me.com
    Cell: (1) 435-901-1773

Default Imprint

Hey Ricardo,

I realised that my message wasn't very clear; happy to talk here on the forum, just thought you might have better things to do (like write the next book wherein might be the answers to the questions I am about to start asking). Thanks a lot for getting back so quickly.

Keeping it simple to kick off, where do imprints fit into the picture with you guys? Are there any pitfalls, or anything you set out to do differently when flying an imprinted peregrine?

Cheers, Andy

You guys. Don't give up on me. I am still working on getting a few more Leather Bound Edition books. My friend (the artist) has been working in Paris, but once she gets back to Spain she will work on my books.
    I will keep you posted, and thank you.
    Regards
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Heath View Post
    Hey Ricardo,

I realised that my message wasn't very clear; happy to talk here on the forum, just thought you might have better things to do (like write the next book wherein might be the answers to the questions I am about to start asking). Thanks a lot for getting back so quickly.

Keeping it simple to kick off, where do imprints fit into the picture with you guys? Are there any pitfalls, or anything you set out to do differently when flying an imprinted peregrine?

Cheers, Andy
    Hi Andy,

despite a very kind invitation to visit Ricardo and Ed, I'm hoping our ambitions to meet up in England some time in the future come off.
    I'm sure you and many others would relish the chance to ask questions and share thoughts face to face, where understanding and appreciation are so much easier than on a forum.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Hello you guys. Some good and some bad news. Our artist is working on five Limited Edition Leathe bound books, thats the good news. The bad one is, our source of our beautiful leather is gone. The gentleman that had inherited the family shop had to close down.
    So again I am in search for great leather, lets see what happens.
    I will post some of the photos of making these books as soon as I receive them.
    RV

Hello Again. The latest report. The company that we bought the original leather closed down. Then someone else bought it and they had to close down also. Some one has come in and taken over. We were able to buy some leather for another set of about eight books, depending on the style.
    Things are very slow, our artist spends more time in France and her studio is in Spain, so I just have to be patient.
    We were producing between 12 to 16 books a year, and now it is harder to get them. I do not want to change or look for a different artist. I like the work and the price is the best I was able to find. Anyone else would be three times more expensive and would make the book completely out of reach.
    As I have probably mentioned it before, if we sell all the limited edition, the total possible amount will be 100 books. That is how many signature sheets were printed for this special edition.
    I have five more books coming and will post some photos as soon as the package arrives.
    Have a great summer.
    Regards Ricardo

Default Limited Leather Edition Books

Hello Everyone. As most of you know, our 100 Limited Leather Bound Edition Books are still being produced, slowly but we are still trying to produce them.
    A few problems have come up. The artist’s husband moved to Paris and her studio is in Madrid, so that has slowed things down. These are the first five books we received on the past year and a half.
    Another problem that has arise is the manufacturing company for this incredible leather closed down, so for the moment I only have enough leather for an extra four books, but I am in the hunt for a different supplier.
    Other than that, each one of these books is a One of a Kind. The artist found some incredible textured paper for two of these Dutch style books which is very nice.
    I love the textured Karibau on the two All leather style books, that is the leather that will be hard to replace.
    Also something to remember, this special edition is not the same as the regular edition. These books have an extra page with a drawing by Andrew Ellis of a falcon stooping at a flock of bird way down below ( I will include a photo). This page includes the names and signatures of everyone involved with our book.
    The publisher only printed 100 of these pages, that is why we can only produce that many, if we every finish the batch. I guess you could say a very collectible item and in a few years down the road a very special hard to find book.
    The more traditional Dutch Style books are $485, and the all Leather Edition style is $525. Plus Shipping (Fedex $24 within the US).
    While these books might seem to be on the expensive side, an FYI, the closest artist we found that would do the work we had planned, he wanted 500 euros per book, even though I was telling him I was planning on making 100 of these suckers, but he never budged. At the price it would have made the book way to expensive and out of reach to most people.
    Finally we got lucky and we were able to work a reasonable price for our books.
    If any one is interested on any of these books, please email me personally to flyingfalcons@me.com so I can keep the emails separate, or call or text me at (1) 435 901 1773.
    In case anyone is wondering, yes we are working on the second book. Ed says he thinks people might like this second book better than the first one. That might be because it took us twenty five year to learn our lessons
    Kindest Regards
    Ricardo
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look great, Ricardo. I am sure they will makes some folks quite happy. I think i have asked this question already--- but have you any idea how many of the 100 limited edition books have been sold?
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Sir. I need to spend a few minutes to figure it out. My guess would be around forty. We are just having a hard time getting them as I was explaining.
    Regards RV

Thread Information