Thread: Hello from South Dakota~!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello from South Dakota~!

Hey all! My name's Parker, and I'm still in the 'read everything' part of learning about falconry. I've always had an interest in birds of prey, and I've loved watching them hunt and fly ever since I was little.

I have plans to, by this spring or summer, own a house and land (possibly near Hermosa, for the locals who are reading this) to build a mews/keep horses/hunt on. I'm still waiting on my packet from GFP and I'm hoping to get through my test in the next couple of months and then also find myself a sponsor!

I've been lurking for a few days and I'm loving the community! There's so much to learn, I'm almost kind of glad I have to work for another year to get prepared.
    ~Parker

Welcome Parker. I'm on the other side of the state but have family living in Rapid City so I would be glad to visit with you anytime I'm out there. There are a few members on here from South Dakota and I'm sure they will chime in also.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

Quote Originally Posted by inarikins View Post
    Hey all! My name's Parker, and I'm still in the 'read everything' part of learning about falconry. I've always had an interest in birds of prey, and I've loved watching them hunt and fly ever since I was little.

I have plans to, by this spring or summer, own a house and land (possibly near Hermosa, for the locals who are reading this) to build a mews/keep horses/hunt on. I'm still waiting on my packet from GFP and I'm hoping to get through my test in the next couple of months and then also find myself a sponsor!

I've been lurking for a few days and I'm loving the community! There's so much to learn, I'm almost kind of glad I have to work for another year to get prepared.
    Welcome, and you have a badass name!!!
    Daniel Parker
    Work hard and build your dreams, or someone will hire you to build theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Welcome Parker. I'm on the other side of the state but have family living in Rapid City so I would be glad to visit with you anytime I'm out there. There are a few members on here from South Dakota and I'm sure they will chime in also.
    Awesome! I was a bit worried when I couldn't find an SD falconry club that I wouldn't be able to find anybody to talk to, thank goodness for forums!

Quote Originally Posted by dbleyepatches View Post
    Welcome, and you have a badass name!!!
    Thanks! I'm pretty fond of it myself. It's been getting more popular in recent years, but I'm the oldest Parker I know!
    ~Parker

to Nafex, hope you pass the test soon.
    if you have not read them, the California hawking club study guide is a good choice for getting ready for the test, the falconers apprentice by William C. Oakes (if you are getting a rt) is also good.
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer_hopeful View Post
    to Nafex, hope you pass the test soon.
    if you have not read them, the California hawking club study guide is a good choice for getting ready for the test, the falconers apprentice by William C. Oakes (if you are getting a rt) is also good.
    I'm definitely shopping around for books, thanks for the suggestion! (Kinda wish they came in electronic versions so they're easier to read on my breaks at work, but w/e, can't have it all I guess
    ~Parker

Welcome! I live in south central SD. We have no real club here but get together if needed. Come visit!
    Forrest
    Northern Plains

Quote Originally Posted by inarikins View Post
    Kinda wish they came in electronic versions so they're easier to read on my breaks at work
    that would be nice.
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

Hi Parker. Im up in the Whitewood area. Due to my job I don't take apprentices right now but Id be happy to try and answer any questions you might have. We are widely scattered out here. What brings you to Hermosa?
    -John "Q" Lindstrom
    "The road goes on forever and the party never ends" Robert Earl Keen

Quote Originally Posted by qball View Post
    Hi Parker. Im up in the Whitewood area. Due to my job I don't take apprentices right now but Id be happy to try and answer any questions you might have. We are widely scattered out here. What brings you to Hermosa?
    Hi John! I'm currently in Black Hawk, but I really need to move out of my parents' house. I'm currently in the process of also having a home built for me (a tiny house, if you're interested) and I really need a place to park it. Found some great land down in Hermosa, for not a whole ton of money, so right now that's looking like my best option. I don't like commuting a long ways to work, though I'll happily drive long distances any other time, so Hermosa is a nice balance.

I'm not looking for a sponsor just yet, but I would relish the chance to go hawking and learn some more before I totally commit. If not with you (though I think you're the closest from what I've seen so far here) then with anybody who would be willing to let a pre-apprentice tag along and crash around in the underbrush.
    ~Parker

I'm in a bit of flying lull as I usually am this time of year due to work, the holidays and my daughters upcoming wedding, but hope to be back at it after new year.

Good luck with your new home.
    -John "Q" Lindstrom

Welcome Parker,
    I am in the N. Black Hills of Wyoming(Hulett). I recently took on an apprentice from Spearfish SD., and have been known to come over and hawk with Forrest(Dakota) on occasion. He would make a great sponsor.

You may benefit from connecting with my apprentice, Ron C., in Spearfish. He has been navigating your game dept for a coulpe of years. He can be difficult to contact as he only has a message phone, so perhaps you want to leave a contact number by pm. Best wishes for a smooth apprenticeship.

I will be out of town, working until after Christmas, perhaps we can meet and go hawking with Forrest in the coming year.
    Jeff,
    Northern Black Hills, Wyoming

Quote Originally Posted by sharptail View Post
    Welcome Parker,
    I am in the N. Black Hills of Wyoming(Hulett). I recently took on an apprentice from Spearfish SD., and have been known to come over and hawk with Forrest(Dakota) on occasion. He would make a great sponsor.

You may benefit from connecting with my apprentice, Ron C., in Spearfish. He has been navigating your game dept for a coulpe of years. He can be difficult to contact as he only has a message phone, so perhaps you want to leave a contact number by pm. Best wishes for a smooth apprenticeship.

I will be out of town, working until after Christmas, perhaps we can meet and go hawking with Forrest in the coming year.
    Hey Jeff…thanks for taking Ron on. I was trying to get him hooked up with Forrest and I lost his number.
    -John "Q" Lindstrom

Thread Information