Thread: Too young?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Too young?

Hello all!
    I am a thirteen year old boy from Minnesota looking to get into falconry. I have loved raptors since I was very young and often visit the MN Raptor Center just to watch the redtailed hawks. I am too young to get a license but do not know what to do to prepare! I have noticed that no one my age is interested in it, and am not sure if I am to young or not.

Any help?

looks to me like you have to be 12
    http://dnr.state.mn.us/eco/nongame/f...2-classes.html
    Rob Coombs

http://www.mnfalconry.org/

Contact those guys and get involved, you're at a great age to do it.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Go for it. At this point I can only wish I had known of this 35 years ago.
    Lew Roussel

Now is a great time to start! Immerse your self in falconry and stay away from girls....you will be much happier and wealthier 😉
    Jeremy Roselle

Quote Originally Posted by passagejack View Post
    Now is a great time to start! Immerse your self in falconry and stay away from girls....you will be much happier and wealthier ��
    Wise man here speaking ^^^^
    Lew Roussel

When I started i was 12 and the next year (when i was 13) i got my first bird. I am now flying the same bird in his 2nd year. Right now i am 14. I say go for it, just make sure you have access to many fields within walking distance or make sure your parents can drive you around 3-5 times a week for a minimum of 2 hours. I wish you luck and hope you can get into it, the reward way outweighs the work and time you put in. :-) Here is a picture of my current bird:

Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Quote Originally Posted by stonefalconer@gmail.com View Post
    When I started i was 12 and the next year (when i was 13) i got my first bird. I am now flying the same bird in his 2nd year. Right now i am 14. I say go for it, just make sure you have access to many fields within walking distance or make sure your parents can drive you around 3-5 times a week for a minimum of 2 hours. I wish you luck and hope you can get into it, the reward way outweighs the work and time you put in. :-) Here is a picture of my current bird.
    Don't assume his restraints or requirements are the same as yours. Your recommended time requirements are not reasonable for a huge percentage of kids. There are many many falconers who are weekend warriors and do very well at our sport.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    Don't assume his restraints or requirements are the same as yours. Your recommended time requirements are not reasonable for a huge percentage of kids. There are many many falconers who are weekend warriors and do very well at our sport.
    True sorry about that, every once and a while i need to to cut down to size. I talk and don't think much. and launch point_402 i wish you the best of luck in your falconry adventures. I have some friend/ family out in Minnesota, looks like you could have a blast hawking there. and learn all you can from this wonderful sight there is a ton of great information on here. it helps me pass the time in between hunting days. Happy hawking!
    Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Wish I had started when I was 13! If your parents will support it, then go for it!
    Sabrina Santos

No, you are not too young to start falconry. I feel that we are missing a poi, nt in kids's lives at this age. I know of several falconers who started at that age who became excellent falconers. And lifelong falconers as well.
    Kitty Carroll -- The Hawk of May

~~ The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill,
    but man's relationship with his hawk --- Terance Hanbury White~~

I will also say that you're at a great age to get involved. I am 44 and started when I was your age. Falconry taught me many life lessons and kept me out of trouble(mostly ��) The best of luck to you.
    Bill
    I have been known to approach the east...

Go for it..............I know a young man here in Florida that was 14 in Aug, passed his test, and is doing well flying a bird. Best wishes.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

The next Minnesota Falconry Association's meet is coming up on Saturday Dec 13th. Get ahold of somebody at the MFA and try to make it to the meet. Should be a lot of fun!
    Josh, MN

If you can reasonably get yourself to a place to hunt then youd be crazy not to go for it. Like many of the others have said, I wish I had gotten into it at your age rather than later in life. I had so many more places to hunt back then and they are seemingly just going to get scarcer and scarcer.

Go for it. And good luck!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by oobie View Post
    The next Minnesota Falconry Association's meet is coming up on Saturday Dec 13th. Get ahold of somebody at the MFA and try to make it to the meet. Should be a lot of fun!
    Can I just show up, or do I have to contact someone, and if so, how?

Please also sign all of your posts here with your name, you'll notice it's an important rule here and we ask everyone to do this. You can add it to your "signature" and it'll automatically happen with each post.

Thanks, and welcome to NAFEX!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by Launchpoint_402 View Post
    Can I just show up, or do I have to contact someone, and if so, how?
    Jeff linked ya here earlier. www.mnfalconry.org

Someone will get back to you. Probably wouldn't hurt to do it sooner than later because folks are busy and the 13th is coming up.
    Josh, MN

I am thirteen and have had my first bird for just over a month (I am in GA so I do not know your laws though).
    but any way good luck.
    Luke Ryan, Apprentice falconer
    Gordon county, Georgia. Eph 2:8-9

If you can make it to the meet next weekend your more then welcome to tag along with me. Ill be flying a redtail hawk and a goshawk.

Justin Johnson
    Justin Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsonfalconry View Post
    If you can make it to the meet next weekend your more then welcome to tag along with me. Ill be flying a redtail hawk and a goshawk.

Justin Johnson
    Excellent opportunity, here's your guy.
    Lew Roussel

As long as you have a great support system it will be great.
    KT Topash. Wesley Chapel, FL
    never walk in another man shoes. Make your own path in life!

Thanks everybody!
    Studying for the test right now! ::

Not sure how to add my Signature

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Launchpoint_402 View Post

Not sure how to add my Signature

Noah
    Click on User CP (top left), then on the left hand side, go down and click on Edit Signature, then fill in what you want as your signature in the box in the middle of the page and click on Save Signature.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information