Thread: Best Book For Falcon Imprinting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best Book For Falcon Imprinting

I am interested in reading some books on imprinting a falcon. Particularly a prairie. Does anyone have a great book recommendation for a chick taken from the nest and then tame hacked. So from day 1 to when you are getting her hunting. The two i can think of are the four week window and High Flying Gyrfalcons. In your guys's opinions which one is more informative for a first timer that has no knowledge of imprinting? Thanks
    Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Bruce Haak:The Hunting Falcon..
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

High Flying Gyrfalcons is by far the best. Bruce Haaks book is also good. The four week window is not about imprints. Good luck!
    Tanner

I have recently read both of Bruce Haak's books and The Four Week Window. I am just getting rolling on The Flying of Falcons. I can't say that any of these books are a "how to" manual of falcon imprinting. I too am extremely interested in prairies but I am finding that the only way to get good information of working with them is to find a falconer with successful prairie experience and ask for help/information.
    Daniel Parker
    Work hard and build your dreams, or someone will hire you to build theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    High Flying Gyrfalcons is by far the best. Bruce Haaks book is also good. The four week window is not about imprints. Good luck!
    I liked this book.
    Finest Quality Hoods

Regardless The Four Week Window should be on that list, it is an invaluable guide to understanding the development of all hawks and falcons.
    Carlos

Thanks I know one falconer down here that has a good amt of experience with prairies; I will try to get in contact with him and see what he has to say. I will definitely look into getting high flying gyrfalcons, it sound like a good book.
    Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Understanding prey management by nick fox does not tell you the steps to following when imprinting however it does talk about imprints and the way to handle them and how he tame hacks them and solve problems ….all around a good book to have. I have read the other books as well the best one I found was the High Flying Gyrfalcons.

Thread Information