Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
Thanks for the response, Geoff.

I wasn't necessarily speaking of AR folks. There are people who are not AR types who struggle coming to terms with the scenario I described. These are the people who don't have an agenda and who are worth taking the time to talk to.

I'll play Devil's advocate.

I understand, Mr. Falconer, that they return to you, but it is my understanding that they do so because they are predators and have been conditioned to come to you for food. Also, Mr. Falconer, how do you justify keeping them locked up in a small mews year around? Out of 24 hours, they might spend two hours flying around. The rest of the time they are confined to a relatively small enclosure, and for six months of the year, they are not flown at all. If you are a lover of Nature, and I am sure you are, don't you think they should be allowed to participate in their surroundings in a more natural way?

Bill Boni
Ah, well, my answer to that is something along the lines of:
Wild hawks actually spend a small portion of their day flying around. Most of the time they spend perching and looking at their surroundings, and that is no different from what my captive hawk does. They are protected from harm and danger while in captivity, and do not need to worry about where their next meal is coming from. I provide as much enrichment as I can through that time by giving them toys to play with and interesting things to watch.
Of course, the real winning answer there is (although this does not apply to me as I have only flown imprints for almost the last 20 years):
My hawk is returned to the wild at the end of every hunting season, to go about its destiny.
At some point, all you can really do is smile, respect their point of view, and politely insist that you disagree and should be respected for having a different outlook. While everyone has an agenda, your certainly right that those people you mention are worth talking to.

I haven't really encountered that line of arguing first hand. Everyone I have run into has either been fascinated by getting to live with a hawk, or thought it was evil to do so because they are hard core AR wack-jobs. Even most of the AR supporters I know respect and understand what I do with captive hawks.