I worked at the National Cancer Institute from 1979-1989. I worked in the DC area (Bethesda, National Institutes of Health) when PETA and Ingrid Newkirk the founder was just getting started in the late 70's early through the late 80's. She wrote letters to my lab chief who was a mathematician. I now wish I had kept copies of them, I as many others back then did not realize how PETA would become a household name. As our lab did use many animals, only occasionally some mice and rats for monoclonal antibody research. We were primarily mathematicians and some 'wet' lab scientists as well. We did computer modeling of biological systems as the main focus of the lab.

Then the PETA kooks started breaking/sneaking into the rodent breeding rooms and letting the rats and mice out of the cages. We had in the clinical center, where I worked, wards that have kids and patients fighting for their lives with experimental medicine. They did not need loose rodents running around. These AR types are totally out of it, I detest them, their view of the world and their tactics.

Several of our scientists would visit the picket lines and discuss with them several points. The best was this: "Would YOU -- Animal Rights Activist, REFUSE medical treatments because they were tested on animals?". Reminding the ARA activist that EVERYTHING we use medically has been tested on animals.

That is the best line I've heard to counteract their arguments, for they had no answer.

I would use this brilliant point and I add this when I confront them: "I certainly hope so, Then you would not be a political issue, because you would be DEAD!!!"