Quote Originally Posted by Mandragen View Post
Appropriate quarry, suitable open ground, confidence, mental attitude, born of good management, success at difficult slips, and so on, are all necessary for a individual to certain things on it's own accord, and do it well. I think the reasoning behind some of the new methods is trying to take any individual and do the same thing, even if it is lacking some or all of those things.
Just to be clear, having re-read this:

Your suggesting that a ringing flight can be achieved through conditioning even if

"Appropriate quarry, suitable open ground, confidence, mental attitude"

are absent?

In my experience Ringing flights are dictated by these, not only due to the oppotunity, but the strength of the learning curve

Does your comment suggest that Jim F's conditioning can out weight the power of the natural learning curve on this hunting style?

Its one thing to condition a bird to ignor check in a busy field, but in my personal experience of traditional ringing flights the Power in sustaining this style and the motivation for it is entirely in the setup.. and unless all the necessary elements are either permitted of eliminated you are far better off going down another route (waiting on) since that follows the natural learning curves orientation.. ie dont fight it.. embrace it