Just a couple of notes here on Jimmy's post.

First, I think when he refers to "habituating" and "habituation," he mean "conditioning." Habituation is a classical conditioning phenomenon that occurs, not an operant, learned behavior.

Second, While I've on occasion reinforced (with a CR and/ or tidbit) missed attempts at game in order to reinforce the chase, science tells us that using conditioned, contrived, or extrinsic reinforcers to reinforce intrinsic behavior will actually reduce the discretionary effort expended on the behavior (in other words, reinforcing unsuccessful attempts at quarry will actually reduce effort over time instead of increase it.) The reasons behind this are multi-faceted and complex, too much so to go into here, but if anyone is interested in it you can find a ton of info with a simple google search. Hunting hawks that are in shape will be reinforced for chasing quarry because it is intrinsically reinforcing, and variable ratio schedules are what naturally encourage raptors to persist chasing prey even when success ratios can be relatively low.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in here, as I make a professional living using applied behavior analysis with animals.