Thread: Hello from North Idaho

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello from North Idaho

Hello All My name is Randy Patterson. I am a 55 year old College Math and Physics instructor. My wife Carla and I live just North of Coeur d'alene in the town of Hayden. I started out in Falconry way back in 1983. My first Hawk was a female Red-Tail who was pretty good on rabbits when we could find them. I had been active in the Sport for just short of 7 years when my education required me to retire from Falconry For a couple of years. I have flown Imprint Coopers and Goshawks through the years. And presently have 2 inter-mewed Female Passage Cooper's. Both of these birds are absolutely crazy but I still love them. The one female is 2 years old and the other is 3 years old. I inherited both these galls from my sponsor of 30 some years ago as these young first years always manage to find their way to his Pigeon Lofts. well any way, that is me in a nut shell. I look forward to get to know all of you.

Welcome! Would like to know more about your area and what game you hunt.
    Forrest
    Northern Plains

Quote Originally Posted by Rpatterson View Post
    Hello All My name is Randy Patterson. I am a 55 year old College Math and Physics instructor. My wife Carla and I live just North of Coeur d'alene in the town of Hayden. I started out in Falconry way back in 1983. My first Hawk was a female Red-Tail who was pretty good on rabbits when we could find them. I had been active in the Sport for just short of 7 years when my education required me to retire from Falconry For a couple of years. I have flown Imprint Coopers and Goshawks through the years. And presently have 2 inter-mewed Female Passage Cooper's. Both of these birds are absolutely crazy but I still love them. The one female is 2 years old and the other is 3 years old. I inherited both these galls from my sponsor of 30 some years ago as these young first years always manage to find their way to his Pigeon Lofts. well any way, that is me in a nut shell. I look forward to get to know all of you.
    Hi Randy,

I went to college in Moscow, not too far from you. My grandmother lived in Sandpointe for years when I was growing up, so am familiar with that area. And, I was born in Wallace. So my roots go back to your stomping grounds somewhat. It's beautiful in Coeur d'Alene. It must be tough trying to find something to hawk up there, although as I recall, there were "fool hens" around.

Bill Boni

Bill, I will be happy to show you around some of my spots up here. Are the coops ready? Send me a PM.
    The journey is about progress, not perfection.
    Scott Dinger

Default Greetings Bill

Wow Bill it sounds like you are right here at home here in Coeur d'alene. I've been here since 1976. I came from the San Francisco area. I was about 17 when I made it up here to Coeur d'Alene. Well the Hawking up here is a bit different than it used to be. I sponsored under Joe Taggert Back in 83. Back then there was a fair amount of Huns, Grouse, and even the occasional rabbit or two out by our little airport. Back then Coeur d'alene, Rathdrum and
    Post Falls were compact little settlements. with miles and miles of broken prairie clearly bordering the towns. Not any more. Tourism, Hollywood, Land Sharks, not to mention California have bought the place up like a feeding frenzy. However the good news is the development that has occurred has in some ways created a very rich habitat for for these smaller Accipiters. which are very common these days. Merlin's who used to just peruse through the area around mid winter are actually beginning to raise families here in the summer. Kestrels and Red-tails are here by the dozen as well. Alas though, Goshawks have withdrawn further back and up in the higher country and the nest that I took my first eyess from is now long gone as well as the deep forest that was once there. Now just a question sir are you the Bill that does the You-Tube thing? If so Thank you very much. If not ,well Thank you very much any way. If you are ever in the area we need to hook up. You have a great Day And Good Hawking to you sir.

Randy

Default Hey Dakota

Whats the good news your way. The area here is a cascade of old old mountains. Rounded by the withdrawing Glaciers of what was once was Lake Missoula. Like Minnesota we have a lot of large to small cold water mountain lakes. Civilization has seriously encroached on us up here in North Idaho. And that's both a sweet and bitter pill. There are not a lot of us Falconry types up here. they seem to be much more in the southern part of the state in the High Desserts of the Snake River area.That being said though, there are enough of us up here to make it worth the trip. there is still a fair amount of Pheasant as well as grouse and rabbit here as well as with in 30 to 40 min from here We are a mere 35 miles west of Spokane Washington. So we more or less have the best of both worlds the economy isn't bad; a person could secure a 3 bed 2 bath home for about 170,000; however, the industry here is primarily tourism. well my friend thank you for the note. I look forward to talking Hawk with you
    You have a really nice evening. I look forward to hearing from you.

Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rpatterson View Post
    Wow Bill it sounds like you are right here at home here in Coeur d'alene. I've been here since 1976. I came from the San Francisco area. I was about 17 when I made it up here to Coeur d'Alene. Well the Hawking up here is a bit different than it used to be. I sponsored under Joe Taggert Back in 83. Back then there was a fair amount of Huns, Grouse, and even the occasional rabbit or two out by our little airport. Back then Coeur d'alene, Rathdrum and
    Post Falls were compact little settlements. with miles and miles of broken prairie clearly bordering the towns. Not any more. Tourism, Hollywood, Land Sharks, not to mention California have bought the place up like a feeding frenzy. However the good news is the development that has occurred has in some ways created a very rich habitat for for these smaller Accipiters. which are very common these days. Merlin's who used to just peruse through the area around mid winter are actually beginning to raise families here in the summer. Kestrels and Red-tails are here by the dozen as well. Alas though, Goshawks have withdrawn further back and up in the higher country and the nest that I took my first eyess from is now long gone as well as the deep forest that was once there. Now just a question sir are you the Bill that does the You-Tube thing? If so Thank you very much. If not ,well Thank you very much any way. If you are ever in the area we need to hook up. You have a great Day And Good Hawking to you sir.

Randy
    Hi Randy,

Boy, things really have changed, which is always the case. Civilization keeps expanding. You pointed out that you have all these bird catchers in the area, but you didn't mention Cooper's. I imagine they move out during migration, but would it be too cold to hawk them in the winter? Although there is probably not much prey base? And, yes, I'm the one who has done the videos. Thank you for your considerate comments; most appreciated.

Bill Boni

Welcome Randy,

Hail from the high plains desert of Twin Falls. Same state, but it seems a world away. Hope you are doing well. Be safe and stay away from the crazies up there =)
    Todd Shipp

Default Greetings from the other world.

Todd its a pleasure to meet you sir. I actually lived in Kimberly for about a year or so. I was teaching high school math in Murtaugh about 15 years ago. I Loved it down there in your corner of this great state of ours. I actually rather miss the high dessert area that I think they still call the Magic Valley.

Thread Information