Thread: 2015 NAFA Meet - Hutchinson, Kansas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Geoff makes some great points (and sorry to be straying off the topic of the meet)

Hunter education is NOT JUST ABOUT SHOOTING GUNS! Hunter ED is a valuable tool to teach and learn about the environment, safety in the field, game animals, hunting strategies, and the ethics of being an outdoorsperson in this day and age.

I have always felt that we need less regulations in this sport, but this is one of the few things I'm passionate about and I would be happy to see a requirement for ALL falconers to take and pass the hunters safety course in Utah. Again, I HATE unnecessary regulations and we continue to push for simpler regs always....but hunter ED is serious business.

This has been a topic of discussion in Utah; "why should I need to pass hunter ed?" Well the answer is simple...you are going to be hunting your bird on wild game animals in the state. To do so you will need to purchase a hunting license. Falconers are not exempt from knowing game laws and field ethics and as such should be treated just like any other hunter. Its a testament to our sport and the falconers who practice ethical hunting. (Not to beat this dead horse but I know of MANY falconers who don't have an inkling about game laws, ethics, or even species identification...a hunters ed course could go a long way to fix this. As law abiding falconers we should all be concerned about the image such behavior portrays and take actions to better our sport!)

That being said, and in-line with the original question asked, a hunting license may not be required to take certain pest or non-game species in Kansas, like starling, E sparrow, EC doves, etc. Making this conversation a moot topic for those hunting those species.

Anywho, see ya'all in Kansas

Caleb
    Caleb Stroh
    Kaysville, UT

was wondering if anyone has a goal to attain while in kansas, i for one will be hoping to catch my first jack and my first fox squirrel. how about anyone else?
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

I'd like to catch my first jack with my ferrug
    Matt H.

"Edit: Caleb Never mind just reread your post and you answered it there"

Caleb, does Utah not requier a hunters ED for falconers bying upland game permits? Or do you mean being able to become a licensed falconer without it?

Ran into that very situation back as a wee apprentice, I did not come from a hunting background so was surprised by that when I went to go get a upland game permit. Took about a week to take the online course bit by bit after school and one saturday to do the feild day and was done. The course was very informative and fun and whatda know, I do attempt to hunt with a shotgun every once in awhile these days.
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Thread Information