Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NAFA Meet - Hutchinson, Kansas

I'm not familiar with every states' hunter education / safety certification requirements but I would think anyone wanting to hunt would be required to go through the certification process. And falconry is a form of hunting.

As already mentioned, taking hunter safety has a multitude of benefits. Topics such as first- aid, the philosophy of wildlife management, hunter ethics, game species identification, non game/protected species identification, venomous snake indentification, and firearm training are just a few. Depending on where you live geographically, some states also have sections on winter / wilderness survival and awareness while hunting and trekking in grizzly / blackbear, wolf and lion country.

As an extra bonus, the state of Wyoming, has enough firearm training in its hunter safety certification course that it meets the range class requirements for people wanting get an concealed handgun carry permit. In all counties. All a person has to do is show their hunter certification card while applying for a concealed carry permit.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    I Just booked my room.. see you all there.

If you haven't booked a room yet you better get on it, they are filling up quickly.

DONT forget my 'taste' of the family cut!!..helps me cook mate
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

got a class I'm helping with coming up pdq...
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by forestfalcon View Post
    Colorado just doesn't require it to possess a falconry permit, so it's just one more thing to do before the meet. It's just an inconvenience, but I guess necessary to hawk at the meet.
    I just completed the TX Online certificate course. Cost me $18 and a full day of sitting at the computer, but there were NO courses anywhere w/in 7 hours of me (so... a full day's drive, a night's stay, a day of class, another night, another day of class, another night's stay and/or a 7 hr drive home). I took the quizzes and main test first, passed with a 98% and then just let the videos run thru the day while I did other stuff.

This is the site I used:

https://hunter-safety.hunteredcourse.com
    Bryan Kimsey

Washington state is really encouraging the on-line approach. That is followed up with a half day on site which includes a review, a quiz (to make sure the participant actually was to one who completed the course) and a field test on basic safety which includes a live fire portion.

I like the convenience but as a Hunter Safety Instructor, we have a number of fails in the field test of on-line students because its the first time many have held a firearm.

Actual class time is what I prefer despite the fact that it takes more time as a volunteer.
    Phil Smith
    Rolla, MO (By way of Neah Bay, WA; Yakima, WA, Stanwood, WA; Anchorage, AK)

I'm wondering if I'm the only forum member who feels that this thread has morphed into a discussion on "Hunter Safety" and should be re-titled to reflect this fact, or if it's time to get back to posting information about the upcoming NAFA Meet.

What is the weather like during that time of year in Kansas? Snow? Ice? shorts! etc. Thanks!
    Jeff Owens

Quote Originally Posted by JeffNH View Post
    What is the weather like during that time of year in Kansas? Snow? Ice? shorts! etc. Thanks!
    I have a feeling it is going to be very warm. When they talked about changing the dates for the meet, I was hoping for the week after Thanksgiving so I could go out west hunting the Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun of the week of Thanksgiving and then arrive at the meet on Sun for the entire week. But when they announced the dates, I kept thinking how warm it could be and how early I would either have to pull a bird or trap a bird to have it ready for that early in November. I normally don't even pull my birds or try and have one ready until the first of November but now I need to be flying them for at least a couple weeks before going to the meet. Oh well, back to your question, I have only been in KS in late November and there have been times when it was down right hot and other times when it was freezing. So pack for anything! LOL

Also, could a MOD change the title of this thread to Hutchinson, KS?
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Every time I have been there at the meet or trapping it has been warm.
    Tony Englert
    Lawrenceburg, KY.

Thanks...2 for me, NAFA meet and visiting Kansas.
    Jeff Owens

Thanks...2 for me, NAFA meet and visiting Kansas.
    What I like about Kansas is the walk in hunting areas. At the meet I often venture out by myself and it is nice to see the signs and just be able to get out and start hunting. I did stop in places that looked good and asked permission and the people were very friendly.
    Tony Englert
    Lawrenceburg, KY.

I have seen all of the above that time of year, just have to watch it the week before.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    DONT forget my 'taste' of the family cut!!..helps me cook mate

I already have some with your name on it my friend!!!

I know we've talked about it in the past and want to throw it out there this year. If you and your guys are near Roswell, when you come to the USA, come by my place. I have machine guns you all can shoot and we have plenty of that sippin tea. There is enough room at my house if you guys need to stay for a day or 2. I know my place is far from this years meet but wanted to offer it anyway.

Looking forward to seeing you!
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Default lodging?

Since the official meet hotel is full, where is everyone staying?
    Jeff
    Erie, PA

Isn't there something on the NAFA website about the Days inn being in the same parking lot as the meet hotel? That is where I will be staying. I upgraded to the "suite" for $85/night. I got a good laugh about that.
    Justin Nucci
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by jmnucci View Post
    Isn't there something on the NAFA website about the Days inn being in the same parking lot as the meet hotel? That is where I will be staying. I upgraded to the "suite" for $85/night. I got a good laugh about that.
    The Meet Hotel information was left off the Meet page on the website (my bad), it is now on there!
    Fred

.....SAD NEWS TODAY...THERE AINT GONNA BE A SHRIMP BOIL THIS YEAR..
    ''I gotta life,that most would love to have,..but sometimes i still wake up fightin' mad..''
    Gaz..

No shrimp boil??? That IS sad! Is Chris ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    No shrimp boil??? That IS sad! Is Chris ok?
    Tasha,I'm OK thanks for checking just don't feel like doing the packing & driving BS and the bird I listed earlier I will not travel with him,so if some one comes and picks him up I just may talk myself into going
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

No NAFEX dinner, no shrimp boil, Trump leading the polls, the world is going to hell!!!!!!
    Fred

..No Thanksgiving dinner....

What twats decided to change everything!!!
    Gaz..

The IEAA just announced that it was canceling its Gathering of Eagles meet this year if anyone is interested in knowing that fact.
    Jim
    New Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by ukroper View Post
    ..No Thanksgiving dinner....

What twats decided to change everything!!!
    Lol. Since it's not over Thanksgiving this year I kinda don't know what to do with myself! Guess I'll hafta see if I can persuade Brian to cook a turkey for us I haven't had an actual Thanksgiving turkey dinner in the last 15 years or so and never actually expected to have another

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    No NAFEX dinner, no shrimp boil, Trump leading the polls, the world is going to hell!!!!!!
    that sux!!! No Chris either!!!?
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Is there anyone else flying into Wichita on Saturday evening (The 7th)? My flight arrives at 7:25pm and I was hoping to catch a ride to the meet hotel with someone. I will gladly pay for gas or buy you a couple 6 packs for your trouble. It will be just me and my bag.
    Darren Lemieux

Don't forget to pre-register for the meet, early registration ends in two days and the price goes up $20.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by DLemieux View Post
    Is there anyone else flying into Wichita on Saturday evening (The 7th)? My flight arrives at 7:25pm and I was hoping to catch a ride to the meet hotel with someone. I will gladly pay for gas or buy you a couple 6 packs for your trouble. It will be just me and my bag.
    Darren:
    I can pick you up at the airport if you get in a bind and can't find other transportation. Let me know.
    Dan McCarron

just ordered my nafa meet hoodie
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you. The last NAFA meet I attended was 2010, and I was all pregnant. I'm thinking a few of you might be easier to take when I'm 2-3 beers in.
    JenniB
    We promised the world we'd tame it, what were we hoping for?

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post

All is not lost.. there will be the NAFEX dinner!
    The only thing that is changed is there will be no raffle. This will leave me more time to drink more beer and sip off Freds flask

Quote Originally Posted by COMEAUX View Post
    Tasha,I'm OK thanks for checking just don't feel like doing the packing & driving BS and the bird I listed earlier I will not travel with him,so if some one comes and picks him up I just may talk myself into going
    Hey man I hate to hear that. I sure will miss helping and seeing you. If you need anything or if I can help in anyway please let me know
    Chris Lynn

[QUOTE=Chris L.;361783]All is not lost.. there will be the NAFEX dinner!
    The only thing that is changed is there will be no raffle. This will leave me more time to drink more beer and sip off Freds flask

Chris DON"T DO IT!!!!!!! You don't know where Freds mouth has been!!!!
    Steve..... The faster I go, the farther behind I get....

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

Chris DON"T DO IT!!!!!!! You don't know where Freds mouth has been!!!!
    Chris Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
    Darren:
    I can pick you up at the airport if you get in a bind and can't find other transportation. Let me know.
    Thank you for the offer Dan, I will keep you in mind. Right now I am waiting for confirmation from Aaron Allred, he's locking down some travel plans. If that doesn't work out is there an expiration on your offer or a date and time you need to know by before it's too late? If you can PM me your contact info in case I need it that would be great. Thanks again.
    Darren Lemieux

Quote Originally Posted by DLemieux View Post
    Thank you for the offer Dan, I will keep you in mind. Right now I am waiting for confirmation from Aaron Allred, he's locking down some travel plans. If that doesn't work out is there an expiration on your offer or a date and time you need to know by before it's too late? If you can PM me your contact info in case I need it that would be great. Thanks again.
    No problem. PM sent.
    Dan McCarron

Head's up: I just called the Atrium hotel to double check my reservation (since I made it ~2 months ago and forgot what arrival date I chose) and they had no record of it. The confirmation number didn't hit and they couldn't find my name. I was able to rebook but they only had single bed rooms available.
    Steve S.

Thread Information