Thread: 2015 NAFA Meet - Hutchinson, Kansas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's an article I wrote several years ago for THA's journal. Some of the information needs to be updated.

Kansas or Bust: A Guide to Game Hawking in Kansas
    By
    Scott L. Coleman

Just about 10 years ago, I began hawking upland gamebirds and waterfowl in Kansas. My motivation was to seek new challenges in the art of falconry by learning to be a grouse hawker. This article relates the experience gained over the past decade of game hawking in Kansas. The drive to good hawking ground in Kansas is as far as hawking in the some parts of the Texas Panhandle. However, game hawking in Kansas does present several challenges. Never forget that we call falconry hunting because nothing is certain in terms of finding places to hunt, finding quarry, or a myriad of other things. It is neither easy nor cheap when game hawking out of state. Nevertheless, I will provide some tidbits of knowledge so that one may be better prepare for this endeavor.
    Where to hunt is perhaps the most important factor of consideration. The good news is that Kansas unlike Texas promotes hunting for the average hunter with a Walk In Hunting Area (WIHA) program. This program allows hunters to legally access land without seeking permission from landowners. The bad news is everyone else has been there before. There are several restrictions that hunters must adhere to, for example, no driving onto the property, and a limit to hunting according to some calendar dates. This information is usually posted on location. Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism (KWPT) provides detailed maps and GPS coordinates to the WIHA sites available in places that sale hunting licenses and on their website, as well. The maps index the location with the type of quarry. Spending time personally surveying several sites is part of paying your dues. Fortunately your search does not have to be random. Contacting biologists working for KWPT for information regarding game surveys may give you the current population status and hotspots for particular gamebird species. On my most recent hawking trip, KWPT wildlife biologist David Dahlgren in Hayes provided first-hand information about locations for lesser prairie chicken on WIHA properties. Obtaining permission to hunt on private land can be gained with due diligence. A common technique is to chat with local landowners at small-town cafes or the local feed store. Getting know the so-called locals will bear fruit over time. The news of a falconer in town will spread in the area that you are hunting and lead to permission on other nearby property. Two important things to remember is that no hunting areas are posted with purple signs and having written permission from the landowner is required. Although it is an extra expense, Plat maps (i.e., county maps with a directory) are very handy for locating landowners (see Country-Wide Directory http://www.countywidedirectories.com/Default.aspx).

When to hunt is factor. Kansas can be much colder than Texas. I experienced minus 15 degrees Fahrenheit on one Winter hawking trip. If you intend on hawking during January, then be prepared. This includes packing cold weather gear for human, dog, and bird of prey. On the other hand, I have encountered mild Winter temperatures where ponds were not iced and covered with ducks in Kansas. As a general rule upland gamebirds hold better in early season and becomes wary as the season progresses. The older the gamebird, the better at escaping it becomes, so early season hunting is easiest. Knowing the game laws and particularly the hunting season is paramount in Kansas. Some important falconry information is not given in the standard hunting regulation summary (i.e., the yearly hunting regulation booklet). I learned this the hard way, so be prepared and know the regulations. Specifically upland gamebirds may hunted from September 1 thru March 31 (see http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Se...tions/Falconry). Mike Spielman in Pratt Kansas is the falconry permit coordinator for the state. The extended duck season is given in the standard hunting regulation summary. While mentioning legal issues Kansas requires a hunter's education certificate. The last caveat concerns the waterfowl license. The regular hunting permit and waterfowl permits are not synchronized by calendar date. This has caused confusion numerous time when trying to purchase a hunting license. There are other specialty licenses required as well (e.g., prairie chicken stamp).

Who to hunt with is another factor. I have hawked with only one Kansas falconer. Ron Krupa of El Dorado who served as a field meet coordinator for the American falconry Conservancy. He was the first falconer to show me the technique for finding and hawking prairie chicken. The formula is basically to find a location where CRP and crops (milo, cut corn, soybean, and wheat) join. Arrive either at dawn or before dusk. Scope the field and watch for prairie chicken to fly low between the loafing and feeding ground. As you can imagine this is very time consuming and finding good slips is not easy. However, prairie chicken are habitual in their behavior patterns. Once spotted they will most likely be found at the same time and location repeatedly. Except for attending a field meet, most of my experience is hawking alone or with a close friend or two. Going alone is great for self-reflection and less pressure to find enough game for others; whereas, going with friend is great for the companionship, shared experience, and the backup if you need it. One important issue when hawking with friends is determining whose going to fly their bird. This can be less problematic if everyone separates and essential flies on their own. When hawking together, my philosophy is to be as flexible as possible. For example, choose the best raptor for the situation rather than follow strict flight order, give a less experienced bird the better setup, or take an unexpected opportunity when it arises rather than wait for a better setup.

Where to stay is another factor. Many falconers have small RVs to use on hawking trips. My 1985 Toyota 4Runner with a 4 cylinder engine is not capable of toeing a RV. Thus, I have learned to improvise in order to gain over night lodging. On various hawking trips, I have encountered accommodations that ranged for sleeping on the open ground with nothing except a tarp to staying in luxury cabin with theater seating with multiple big screen televisions. Of course many small towns have motels that are hunter friendly, but some do not. Many of these motels are hunter friendly and convenient to resources in town. However, a motel may not provide an adequate weathering space or a secure place to leave perches, bath pans, and other less essential equipment. This leads to a lot of packing and unpacking. An alternative is to check the bulletin board at the local gas station for private lodging. Many landowners have an extra house available for hunters. When knocking on doors to obtain permission be sure to ask if there is a place to stay nearby. I find that being close to the hunting ground is a big benefit. Mainly to less travelling from lodge to field. Local hunting conditions vary, so be prepared to move new areas. I have crisscrossed the state search for places to stay and hunt many times.

A few last comments on game hawking in Kansas in terms of what to expect when flying a falcon. First of all there are hazards when flying a falcon in Kansas in the dead of Winter there is a starving red-tail hawk in every tree and both bald eagles and golden eagles may be encountered as well. Falcons not accustom may fall victim. I have seen this happen to a peregrine and it is a very sickening feeling. Long distant travel is stressful for a raptor which can have a negative effect on hunting performance. Upon arrival a day of acclimation and weathering is beneficial. Dehydration is another issue. I have found that feeding watery meat with no casting material (i.e., fed on the fist from a small dish) each evening keeps the falcon well hydrated. Wide-open land without structure is ideal for flying longwings. My experience is that the falcon's pitch will increase from its normal height in Kansas. A typical scenario is the first flight is a typical pitch, consequently, the gamebird will out fly the falcon. After getting burned, a falcon will adjust by taking a higher pitch on the second flight. This is a natural way to teach pitch. It may be tempting to bag the falcon as a reward for its effort on wild gamebirds, but my experience is it best not to bag them. One of my favorite places to fly provides an opportunity to slip your falcon on prairie chicken, pheasant, and duck in the same flight. Start with prairie chicken at the top with open low grass, then work down the higher grass areas in a waterway for pheasant, and finally if all else fails flush ducks in a pond at the bottom of the field. A versatile birddog is important. Without a dog to cover the vast tracts of ground, hunting gamebirds in Kansas would be exacerbating. I recently learned the value of a telemetry dog collar. So keep in mind that a dog can be lost in Kansas as easily as a falcon. Lastly, the title is Kansas or Bust for a purpose. A Texas duck hawk is at a disadvantage on hunting upland gamebirds, especially prairie chicken. It is a sure bust to create a false expectation of success. A falcon that does not regularly hunt pheasant and prairie chicken will not put many in the bag, but it is sure is fun to try.
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

Scott that is exactly the type of information I've been looking for. Thanks for posting.

Is all upland game, including prairie chickens, open to falconry Sept 1 through March? Might need to make a pre-meet scouting expedition.
    Justin Nucci
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by jmnucci View Post
    Scott that is exactly the type of information I've been looking for. Thanks for posting.

Is all upland game, including prairie chickens, open to falconry Sept 1 through March? Might need to make a pre-meet scouting expedition.

This is important (I know from experience). You need to download a copy of the Kansas falconry regs. It is the only place that the information on the season dates for upland gamebirds in falconry is given. I had a long conversation with KPW&T officials on this. Even the guy in charge of the falconry permits didn't know the dates. Carry a copy the with you to show the authorities http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/Services/La...tions/Falconry

-- scott
    “Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative.” – Mordecai Wyatt Johnson

This just in...the Meet hotel has a pool-water slide! And no health certificates or import permits needed

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    This just in...the Meet hotel has a pool-water slide! And no health certificates or import permits needed
    Why would you need a health certificate or import permit for a water slide? LOL

Wait, they both might be needed for Gaz to use the water slide.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    I'm in for the slide.

I have the same comment Fred did about the health certificate, though.
    Bryan Kimsey

Lol I'm not editing anything my grammar can be just as awful as I want it to be! At least I'm not trying to use texting abbreviations

Thread Information