Thread: RT with a opossum

Default RT with a opossum

It has been a brutally cold winter here in NY, and wildlife is doing what it can to survive. This is the second opossum we have ever caught, and both of which she caught this year. They are desperate for food and coming out before dark. Luckily my RT handled them well and avoided those sharp teeth!

Thanks for looking
    Chris

What a lucky picture and lucky hawk with all those teeth. Again AMAZING picture.
    Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Yikes!
    Great shot!
    Iva Uridel ~~~ 1st Year General

Awesome picture, congrats.
    Ryan

Woah, that's one gnarly picture! I can't say i've seen any opossums out at all during hawking and this picture reaffirms my thankfulness for that
    Gregory E. Miller
    "Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies." - Teddy Moritz/Unknown Origin

Awesome photo and glad your hawk controlled the head!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

I caught one with a little 26oz male back in 98 in Georgia. He slammed it in a squirrel nest and couldnt pull it out after a few minutes my female redtail came over and grabbed it too, still took a couple more minutes for both of them to pull it out of the tree. Have to say it was pretty gross on the ground lay there with nasty green feces squeezing out its ass like zombie toothpaste! The birds didnt seem to mind and were happy to eat it. They do have a set of teeth on them but the redtails seem to handle them easy enough not much of a fight to them.
    Terence

Thanks for the compliments. I was really surprised how it really did nothing but show its menacing teeth. A squirrel a fraction of the size is more of a handful!

Chris

Ounce for ounce, squirrels are a very worthy adversary! They are tough critters!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Nice. My PMRT took 3 possums this year, all in broad daylight. We doubled on them one day... Not the most enjoyable game to come across, thats for sure.
    -Brooke Ligue

Thread Information