Thread: Pre-apprentice possibly moving to Colorado

Default Pre-apprentice possibly moving to Colorado

Hello all!

I've been a lurker/occasional poster here for quite some time and was hoping for some feedback. I've been interested in falconry since 14 (now 28). I live in Raleigh, NC and have attended my fair share of meets and hung out with some of the local falconers, but unfortunately have never been able to break into the sport due to time constraints. It's looking like that might finally change!

Because of a job opportunity, I might be moving to the Denver area in the near future. I've grown up in NC, so this is quite a change for me! I was wondering how the falconry is in Colorado? Here is mostly squirrels (few rabbits to speak of) and some birds, but no game birds really either. What's the quarry situation like out there? I'm also aware that some bemoan the falconry laws in CO, is that something I should be wary of? I'm excited because this job offers more flexible hours than my current one, so I will finally be able to devote the time necessary to be a successful falconer!

Thanks in advance for your input, and sorry for the exclamations, just pretty excited. The future's looking up! Also wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the general discussions. Thanks again,

-Mack

Hello Mack,

Let me start out by saying that Colorado falconry is awesome. On a regular basis I will take cottontails and black-tail jacks. I'm in the Parker area just outside of Denver. Colorado hawking club has their annual field meet usually in an area with an abundance of white-tailed jacks. If you ever plan to fly a falcon or a gos, sharp shinned.. ect. we have ducks, pheasants, chucker, and quail. And starlings and sparrows if you ever fly a small bird. So pretty much falconry in Colorado is limitless. You asked about the regulations. I think that the regulations are fine as long as you are a resident of Colorado. But when and if you ever need in bring a bird into Colorado that takes a little time to get all the paperwork filled out and approved. Many people will badmouth Colorado falconry however I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't mean to start a scuffle with anyone else on here but I truly don't. I can see how falconry in CO can be challenging for that non-resident but as long as your a resident it is really pretty easy to acquire your licence and get your first bird. If you want and more advice or just want to talk I'll PM you my phone #. Call = or text me anytime. I may not always answer your call but I will always respond to your texts. The Colorado Hawking Club is great. They were originally one of the first falconry clubs. Also they can be very helpful to apprentices. Just last week they hosted a giant hood making workshop. Throughout the summer they also have a few apprentice seminars going over equipment making, handling, and general bird care and maintenance. They are a great club and I would highly recommend becoming a member if you do come to Colorado.

Best of luck and I hope to see you here soon!!
    Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Thanks for the response Rylan! The falconry out there does sound pretty great

In your opinion, what would you say the most common type of hawking is done out there by you? Here in NC, it's mostly closed terrain so flying a falcon was never really an option. It's cool to think of that as a possibility in the future!

Thanks for your contact info, if I have any questions I'll shoot you a text!

-Mack

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacthawoppa View Post
    Thanks for the response Rylan! The falconry out there does sound pretty great

In your opinion, what would you say the most common type of hawking is done out there by you? Here in NC, it's mostly closed terrain so flying a falcon was never really an option. It's cool to think of that as a possibility in the future!

Thanks for your contact info, if I have any questions I'll shoot you a text!

-Mack
    Out here is is mostly half and half. Some with falcons and some with hawks, and a while back someone had an eagle. So we do it all down here. And we are all within 2- 3 hrs of one another. I know 4 falconers all within 30 min of me. One flies a falcon, the others fly hawks. We have all sorts of quarry for whatever you decide to do. I am a half and half person, falcons and hawks. Make sure to text me when you get to CO. I'd love to take you out hunting and maybe introduce you to a few potential sponsors. Best of luck!!
    Rylan Stone
    "If you love something set it free, If it doesn't come back, hunt it down" -author unknown-

Forgot to ask, are there hawkable amounts of game birds (duck, quail, pheasant, chukar) near the Denver area, or would you have to travel to find them? Right now where I live we only have quail and they are few and far between (and a long trip). I'm looking at Lafayette, Arvada, Evergreen, etc. as some potential places to move, but availability of quarry is an important deciding factor on that! Job will be in Denver so I can't be too far away. I assume cottontails are everywhere, what about jacks as well? I know this is a long way off, but I'm hoping the move to Colorado will help me eventually fulfill my desire to fly a tiercel prairie one day .

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacthawoppa View Post
    Forgot to ask, are there hawkable amounts of game birds (duck, quail, pheasant, chukar) near the Denver area, or would you have to travel to find them? Right now where I live we only have quail and they are few and far between (and a long trip). I'm looking at Lafayette, Arvada, Evergreen, etc. as some potential places to move, but availability of quarry is an important deciding factor on that! Job will be in Denver so I can't be too far away. I assume cottontails are everywhere, what about jacks as well? I know this is a long way off, but I'm hoping the move to Colorado will help me eventually fulfill my desire to fly a tiercel prairie one day .
    I can find duck and pheasant within 1-2 hrs of me. For jacks, if you are looking for blacktails, then it is about 2:30 hrs. For white tail. it can be anywhere from down in alamosa to really. Close. I saw a whitetail in one of my fields. However it was only one. Never saw it again. I would love to fly a prairie as well.
    Rylan Stone

Thread Information