Thread: Newbie in NJ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Newbie in NJ

Hi my name is Joe Buchanan and I have been bitten by the falconry bug. I have always had an appreciation and a fascination with raptors growing up. I am an upland hunter and field trailer with my Vizsla's. While training my dogs I have feed the wild redtails my share of quail and pigeons, when they strike my training birds. Years ago I was driving down a road and a wild redtail nearly hit my car's front windshield I stopped quickly and I watched this hawk on his approach to striking a squirrel on a lawn. I was so amazed and excited by seeing this, it remains a fond vivid memory I can see clearly today. Currently I am digesting all things falconry and a friend who is a falconer, but lives in Canada directed me to this forum. I have joined my states falconry club and will look to meet more of them after I learn more and take my NJ test. In the interim I look forward to reviewing and learning on this forum. Any assistance if I am missing something that I could be doing would greatly be appreciated. I thank you all in advance

Joe

Welcome Joe! Sounds like you're in an excellent position to pursue this passion, and there are some great falconers in NJ to help you along the way. Good luck and enjoy!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Sounds like you will do your two years chasing bunnies with a RT before you can get a Gos to chase pheasants
    Luis and Mateo Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by americansharpy View Post
    Sounds like you will do your two years chasing bunnies with a RT before you can get a Gos to chase pheasants
    Yes that is how NJ does it. Sad thing is my dogs are not fur hunters based on them being field trial dogs. Can always get my older male to convert for the RT as he after this year will strictly be a hunting only dog.

Can a Gos. Catch a flying quail?

Squirrels are always another possibility....

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbuch View Post
    Yes that is how NJ does it. Sad thing is my dogs are not fur hunters based on them being field trial dogs. Can always get my older male to convert for the RT as he after this year will strictly be a hunting only dog.

Can a Gos. Catch a flying quail?
    Luis and Mateo Lewis

Hello, Joe. Welcome to the forums and to the club. Where in NJ are you?

Since you have already contacted the club about membership, you are off to a good start. Once you are given access to the members only section of the website, make note of the events that are coming up this summer. They are a great way to get to know everyone and are open to all club members. Then, once the hunting season starts up you should try to get into the field with other members as often as possible.
    -Fred B
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. --Soren Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Fredtail View Post
    Hello, Joe. Welcome to the forums and to the club. Where in NJ are you?

Since you have already contacted the club about membership, you are off to a good start. Once you are given access to the members only section of the website, make note of the events that are coming up this summer. They are a great way to get to know everyone and are open to all club members. Then, once the hunting season starts up you should try to get into the field with other members as often as possible.
    I have access to membership area. I reached out to several members to date only one has contacted me back. I do plan to go to the picnics and take my test very soon. If all goes well find a mentor and get going this season if possible. I also joined NJ clubs FB page. I live in brick, I see you are In NJ as well and a club member? Iam a member of the English setter Club of Medford. Many RT on club grounds possibly good place to get a passage RT, you should be close to there? Also thanks for responding to my post.
    Last edited by Jcbuch; 04-16-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbuch View Post
    I have access to membership area. I reached out to several members to date only one has contacted me back. I do plan to go to the picnics and take my test very soon. If all goes well find a mentor and get going this season if possible.
    That is the most challenging part. The falconry community is very small and very tightly knit so most potential sponsors will want to get to know anyone very well before offering to sponsor. It is a serious commitment and is not taken lightly. I am not trying to discourage you, though, so keep reaching out to people and I am sure it will come together. I am on track to get my first bird in September, so I am new myself, but I would be more than happy to talk with you about anything.
    I also joined NJ clubs FB page.
    I don't have a facebook account. Tried it. Social media is not my thing.
    I live in brick, I see you are In NJ as well and a club member? I am a member of the English setter Club of Medford. Many RT on club grounds possibly good place to get a passage RT, you should be close to there?
    Yes, I am a club member. The English Setter Club is about 10-15 minutes from me. I live right off Rt 70 in Marlton, near the WalMart. I work part time at Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge in Medford, doing raptor education programs. If I could, I would quit my day job (IT professional) and do that full time!
    Also thanks for responding to my post.
    My pleasure! It's always nice to meet new people that share the same passion for these wonderful animals.
    -Fred B
    Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it. --Soren Kierkegaard

Can a gos catch a quail lol does a fat dog fart. Bahaha
    Hunting, fishing ,riding every chance I get
    Jac west georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
    Can a gos catch a quail lol does a fat dog fart. Bahaha
    Why u fly one?

Thanks Fred appreciate it

No I don't have one lol but I've seen them catch quail on the preserves at our meets and it's a thing of beauty , hopefully one day I'll be able to afford one
    Hunting, fishing ,riding every chance I get
    Jac west georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
    No I don't have one lol but I've seen them catch quail on the preserves at our meets and it's a thing of beauty , hopefully one day I'll be able to afford one
    Cool hope we each get to the lvl. Good luck

Thread Information