Thread: New book about owls behaviors and training

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very possible Eric, never really thought about it. He was up and out of there pretty quick, but all it takes is one grab. It was late jan or early feb, so the time when they are territorial and it was quite late in the evening.

I just took it for granted, bigger bird, bigger motor. She had no problem carrying his body off, he only flew about 680 grams on his heaviest days.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    Very possible Eric, never really thought about it. He was up and out of there pretty quick, but all it takes is one grab. It was late jan or early feb, so the time when they are territorial and it was quite late in the evening.

I just took it for granted, bigger bird, bigger motor. She had no problem carrying his body off, he only flew about 680 grams on his heaviest days.
    Jeff, doesn't surprise me at all a female GHO could loft a tiercel gos, as we've seen kill sites around here where a great horn had hauled a snowshoe hare to the top of a spouse tree and eaten it. Pretty impressive carry. Thanks again for the info.
    Eric Fontaine
    Southcentral Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Jeff, doesn't surprise me at all a female GHO could loft a tiercel gos, as we've seen kill sites around here where a great horn had hauled a snowshoe hare to the top of a spouse tree and eaten it. Pretty impressive carry. Thanks again for the info.

My wife informs me that spouses, like money, do not grown on trees.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    My wife informs me that spouses, like money, do not grown on trees.
    Nice one Ron! Whether it happened that way or not, I'm going to blame it on autocorrect . Eating spouses, funny stuff.... Spruce tree was the intent, carry on.
    Eric Fontaine
    Southcentral Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    Interesting, Eric! Knew they were strong, but never would have dreamed what you described to be possible. Awesome!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    Interesting, Eric! Knew they were strong, but never would have dreamed what you described to be possible. Awesome!
    Several years ago I had a Great Horned Owl who would regularly roost on a branch of a very large oak tree that extended over my paved driveway. Most of the time the evidence was in the form of very large mutes left behind on the drive. Then one day I was walking down the drive only to find the head of a very large opossum beneath where the GHO roosted. They're incredibly strong/powerful birds.

Thread Information