Hi Ryan,

I did not save the logs. Without making a novel out of it, both instances were where my barbary tangled with a nasty prairie falcon for a while and then decided to move a few miles. The first time, the GPS logged his position continually and I picked him up by driving directly under him. The second instance the tiercel flew about 3 miles and up into a low mountain range after fighting with a hag female prairie. I watched him leave on the screen after I lost visual of him, I was hoping to see him turn eventually after the prairie left the area. He did not. When he got in the hills, the pocket link lost signal. I drove over near there and the pocket link re-established connection at a mile or so and I recovered him shortly after.

The GPS/UHF combo, even with direct connect operation, is light years ahead of beacon-only telemetry because when your bird leaves the area, you have a very clear picture of what it was doing as it left, even beyond when you lose it in binoculars. Same is true when you get back in the neighborhood of the falcon - you know exactly where it is and what it is doing (is it sitting, is it way up high, it it flying in circles or still moving along a course).

Hope that helps. As I said, I think it would be damned hard to lose a falcon with this system. And that is only a small part of what makes it valuable.

Cheers,
Tanner