Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
Ron.
I think there may be some confusion as to how satellites are involved.

The unit on the bird (GPS receiver + UHF Transmitter) RECEIVES signals from a number of different satellites. It is able to use the incoming signals to mathematically determine where it is with respect to the location of those satellites. That gives it your latitude, longitude and altitude.

The position data is then transmitted via the UHF link directly to your receiver.

So in part you are right. The position of the bird IS determined by the "direct from the satellite" transmissions.

That position information is NOT however transmitted to you via satellite as it would be with an Argos tag. The signal goes direct from the transmitter on the bird to the MRT receiver.

Hope that helps.
Ron

What satellites are they using? What band? If I had a nickel for every time I've had to contact a satellite controller and alter some of the settings in our unit to maintain "green lights" I could probably go ahead and pre-order one of these.

Is there no concern with downlink interference? Are equatorial birds (satellites) being used? I won't bring up the laundry list of possible problems with equatorial only satellites...

Talk to us like we have years of satellite experience, because some of us do. I have a pretty firm understanding of how their UHF equipment works, I'm very interested in the technical aspects of their GPS addition.

I'm 100% on board with purchasing one of these units but I want to know more about the satcom aspect of it. Too many people hear satellite or GPS and just assume it's going to work all the time.

Kudos, Marshall, for turning the corner.