Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Product Announcement: GPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Product Announcement: GPS

My apologies to Robert and Marshall for the original post accidentally getting deleted. Was trying to merge some topics and they both disappeared.

Here is the video, please get the thread and questions going again.

https://vimeo.com/129807173

How long will battery life be?
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

When will they be available and how can I get one? Or eight?
    Ron Clarke 2944 Captain Cook Estates Circle Anchorage, AK 99517
    (907) 723-6840 ronclarke56@gmail.com

This is what is says on the Marshall Facebook page:

Sending a big thanks out to all our customers who have been patiently waiting for this day over many years.
    This now is for you, the visual confirmation, no longer just a rumor: RT-GPS, PocketLink and AeroVision mapping app: $995.
    Pre-Orders to begin July 1st with deliveries planned for early September.
    (Look for follow on video in 3-4 weeks to answer your natural questions on the details)
    https://vimeo.com/129807173
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

At that cost you'd need a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" against everything to include loss...When is somebody gonna make affordable equipment for falconry? Not saying $995 isn't worth it, but at that price I hope they are not planning on selling to many of them... JMHO
    Jim Blackwell
    "Mitakuye Oyasin"

Default Affordability

Well, fortunately, there are already a lot of other inexpensive options out there to choose from, and you can continue as you are.

I guess nearly every product needs to be priced according to is value to the user, and when that's exceeded, or an even better option comes along, products cease to sell.

Yes, this may not be for everybody.

And yet somehow, I think most everybody (at least longwingers) will eventually have it. Otherwise, we would not have spent the large amount of capital and effort to produce it.

RB

RB,

Not saying this is not going to be worth every penny...but will be years out before I can afford one.

I'll just stick with the "Marshall" stuff I already use Thanks for making the best most reliable stuff on the market.
    Jim Blackwell
    "Mitakuye Oyasin"

Thanks for the FAQs, Robert. The thing that appeals most to me is instead of relying on line-of-sight signals that get warped and reflected by terrain and other ground-based disruptions, with this system the signal goes straight up to a satellite and comes straight back down, with nothing in the way. For someone like me who's flown mostly in mountainous country loaded with signal shadows, weird bouncebacks, and dead spots, this is a dream come true. Am I understanding this system's capacities correctly?
    Ron Clarke 2944 Captain Cook Estates Circle Anchorage, AK 99517
    (907) 723-6840 ronclarke56@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by RLBagley View Post
    Well, fortunately, there are already a lot of other inexpensive options out there to choose from, and you can continue as you are.

I guess nearly every product needs to be priced according to is value to the user, and when that's exceeded, or an even better option comes along, products cease to sell.

Yes, this may not be for everybody.

And yet somehow, I think most everybody (at least longwingers) will eventually have it. Otherwise, we would not have spent the large amount of capital and effort to produce it.

RB
    To those of us who flys big longwings and push the envelope for huge pitches
    and dramatic stoops the benefits are crystal clear. The investment is trivial when you take into account the effort and years involved in shaping flight style to what you want to see.. So much hit or miss guesswork involved when a bird is off or too high to see or both. This eliminates that guesswork. Now you know for certain which situations you shouldn't reward. To be able to map real time your birds performance in so many ways is truly amazing.
    The tracking aspect seems secondary but I can already see how it will make it so much easier to find your birds.. Just get in the ballpark with the beeper and then turn on GPS. Wicked!
    The greatest benefit to me is the fact that now the reigns can be loosened even further. You know now how much quicker you can get to your bird.
    With the GPS the ground recoverys in deep cover and hilly terrain, like the Sandhills and much of the west, become a breeze. Anyone who has hawked out there has lost signal when the falcon is in a deep depression. With GPS shooting vertically won't this eliminate this type of problem? Am I misunderstanding?
    I am a simpleton after all.
    David Liepe

New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by thunderheartiii View Post
    At that cost you'd need a "LIFETIME WARRANTY" against everything to include loss...When is somebody gonna make affordable equipment for falconry? Not saying $995 isn't worth it, but at that price I hope they are not planning on selling to many of them... JMHO
    Right now the cheapest alternatives that you can buy new are an R400 receiver for $499 and a Merlin FMV transmitter for $105 bringing the total to $604. I may be off by a little but that is what I quickly found by searching the "big three" falconry stores.

For that price you get a 216 system that only has a 2 element yagi and a transmitter that has its battery held in with heat shrink tubing. For $391 more you get a modern sealed UHF transmitter that has GPS AND a conventional "beep".

I have a job and bills too. But working in broadcast electronics and communications industry all of my life I also see the flip side of the coin. You are not just paying for the materials an labor to assemble the system.
    You ARE paying for the cost of the engineering talent necessary to develop such a system. Companies have to pay for that above and beyond the cost of production if they want to keep abreast of changing technology.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Right now the cheapest alternatives that you can buy new are an R400 receiver for $499 and a Merlin FMV transmitter for $105 bringing the total to $604. I may be off by a little but that is what I quickly found by searching the "big three" falconry stores.

For that price you get a 216 system that only has a 2 element yagi and a transmitter that has its battery held in with heat shrink tubing. For $391 more you get a modern sealed UHF transmitter that has GPS AND a conventional "beep".

I have a job and bills too. But working in broadcast electronics and communications industry all of my life I also see the flip side of the coin. You are not just paying for the materials an labor to assemble the system.
    You ARE paying for the cost of the engineering talent necessary to develop such a system. Companies have to pay for that above and beyond the cost of production if they want to keep abreast of changing technology.

Jim,
    After re-reading your post I may have, err, well, come down a bit hard on you. While everything I said is true, what you said may not have deserved the rant. Particularly after your answer to Robert's reply. Sorry if I was a bit abrupt.

Ron
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Its $995 if you already have the UHF receiver, no? So its more like $1100 more since a UHF receiver is going to run ya $700. And not including an iPad or iPhone if ya dont have one of them (I dont).

Just saying.

This looks really neat. Im happy I made the decision to go UHF when I bought my telemetry and Ill definitely add this stuff. Prob not right away but when I get into flying big falcons, for sure.

Really cool, guys at Marshall. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Telemetry seems very affordable to me now- having the newest state of the art- less so. You can still buy a basic set up from LL electronics or Merlin systems for not much more than I paid for my first set-up 30 years ago [when it was a struggle for me to buy]. These basic systems have improved over that time- they will still help you get your bird back in most situations. When many people upgraded to UHF there were some real bargains on used 216 set-ups. This looks like a game changer and I was pleasantly surprised to see you could up grade for about $1000. I expect there will be some more old 216 sets hit the resale market, a deal if you are budget conscious.

My original RB4 receiver still works. My first transmitter was deemed non repairable by LL after 28 years of service. I paid around $500 for the set-up in 1985. I believe I got my moneys worth and then some. I still carry an MN-10 receiver in the truck as a back-up should my Marshall fail. I am still using 216- with the field Marshall receiver and power max, RT+ and Scout transmitters. I am very satisfied with this equipment and have no immediate plans to go to UHF or GPS, but maybe someday. The MN-10 was an upgrade over the "blue box" and the Field Marshall an upgrade over the MN-10. Is the new newer equipment "worth it"? That is a budget question for everyone to answer for themselves. With the large number of used units regularly showing up for sale I can't see how anyone can complain about telemetry not being affordable.

I hope and expect that Marshall will sell a crap load of these. Maybe in a few years I will buy one as a bargain when people are jumping to the next big thing.
    Ross Dirks
    Pheasant hawker in NW Iowa

[QUOTE=Ross;353702]With the large number of used units regularly showing up for sale I can't see how anyone can complain about telemetry not being affordable. QUOTE]

BINGO! Marshall's investment in R&D just provided those who to date may have been unable to afford the cost of telemetry with an early Christmas Present by significantly increasing the amount of available used VHF equipment thereby resulting in a more competitive market offering lower prices.

Sorry but after watching the video Marshall radio will sell a S""t load of them. Well done!!
    Ken Hooke
    Falconry Hoods International
    "Specializing" in unique, One Piece Hoods

Quote Originally Posted by sakerjack View Post
    Sorry but after watching the video Marshall radio will sell a S""t load of them. Well done!!
    I hope they do...
    Jim Blackwell
    "Mitakuye Oyasin"

In reading down through the comments that have been coming in, I thought it would help to get some initial answers to the most frequent questions sooner than later. The plan is to upload a video in a few weeks that better explains the product, it's design, how it works, etc.

Until then, here's a few answers for you:

How does it work?
    The RT-GPS transmitter is the same size, shape and weight of an RT Turbo. But inside we found a way to incorporate a GPS chip to receive signals from the overhead constellation of GPS satellites in an open sky.

The RT-GPS learns where it is and sends this data via radio frequency to a small device we call the PocketLink. It is the PocketLink that in turn provides this situational data it is receiving on to the mapping software via BlueTooth at distances of up to fifty feet away. It can use a small whip antenna to go with you (in your pocket or hawking bag) or be left in the vehicle connected to your OMNI.

At the same time, the RT-GPS is sending a regular familiar beeping signal in the UHF band that can be received by the Field Marshall for regular direction-finding.

It is this combination of signal redundancy we felt important for falconers to be sure that if the data connection is ever temporarily lost, they still can track a bird the traditional way.

How long does the battery run?
    We have worked out an extremely innovative way to use the 1/3N battery instead of requiring something much larger. That was always the goal before announcing our GPS alternative. It had to be “right sized” in the time tested robust packaging required by our customers and usable as a tail or leg mount, not restricted to TrackPack mounting only.

The RT-GPS will run for three days using a variable duty cycle combination of data transmissions and beeping.

How much will it cost, and what do we get?
    For our customers who have have already made the jump to UHF, you simply add the following items to your setup:
    - RT-GPS transmitter
    - PocketLink Data Receiver
    - Marshall Radio’s mapping software application to run on your iOS device

These three add-ons are priced at: $995

For customers who have do not yet have UHF gear, you’ll also need:
    - Field Marshall UHF receiver
    - UHF Omni for the vehicle
    - UHF Micro tail-mount (recommended as the secondary backup transmitter)

These two lists constitute the complete and redundant system.

Will it work on something other than iOS devices?
    The initial software application is designed for iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone.

Plans are for an Android version sometime soon after.

Will it work with my 216 receiver?
    There are no plans to broadcast data in the legacy VHF bands, since all momentum around the world is to UHF going forward.

What is the range?
    Over 5-6 months of field testing, we have maintained data streaming connections for 3-4 miles on the ground, and 10-15 in the air. Since this is designed to be primarily a real-time visual product, ideal for training, that has proven about perfect.

For the beeping signal at any time, or when you are “Plan B Mode,” you will see about the same performance as one of our RT+ transmitters.

How is this different from the other GPS devices for falconry already out there?

Three main ways, in combination:
    - The size less than half and we’re using the reliable proven 1/3N lithium 3v battery, not a rechargeable.

- The method is a direct connection, not through mobile towers, so that this can be used anywhere without fear of “dead zones.” There is no SIM card to buy, no further costs per text requests, etc. required to operate it.

- Instead of periodic updates, or delayed and irregular response to text inquiries this is real-time data streaming. You see where you bird is now, not where it was.
    Our own world-class mapping application that comes with it.

How much testing has it had?
    Early designs have been in testing for years, but this right-size version was first flown in January 2015, and continuously on several falcons and eagle ever since then. We’ve been able to fine tune what are essential functions and data in the mapping software, as well as experience real-world performance issues away from the lab. Of the two epic tracks you see in the video, the first was a remount on ducks flight by our passage Prairie falcon with two pitches over 3,000 feet, the second is the eagle soaring on thermals to over one mile high (5,400 feet).

Continual refinements were regularly done to the point we finally felt confident to let the world know it really exists and we are really going to do it. It’s that good now.

And what quickly changed was our realization that for so many years as a company we have been narrowly focused on just a recovery device so the design concerns were always and ever more range, with ever more battery life in a smaller size. The RT-GPS transcends this thinking to become an entirely different product since you are continuously connected to the flight in real-time.

We really do now think it changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RLBagley View Post
    Will it work on something other than iOS devices?
    The initial software application is designed for iPad, iPad mini, and iPhone.

Plans are for an Android version sometime soon after.
    I think there are only 4 falconers, besides myself, using Windows Phones - but there are plenty of us with Windows desktops and windows based tablets. There are very simple development tools to port any iOS/Android application over. So simple in fact, that my standard response when I see apps for iOS/Android my response is "Am I not worth 15 minutes of your time?" (the time cost to do the build, once the tools are installed).

I think this looks like a great product. Great innovation. As a shortwinger, I'll just have to wait for a lower cost alternative, but I look forward to that a few years down the road. I'd love to be able to drive up and pick up my hawk instead of wandering through industrial areas with a receiver. However, since I typically pull out my receiver less than 5 times a year other than to verify its operation, its tough to justify a 2 grand conversion.

Which brings me to a question - any plans to make a GPS/Scout? I don't need the range of an RT plus, instead I need the long battery life of a scout.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    I think there are only 4 falconers, besides myself, using Windows Phones - but there are plenty of us with Windows desktops and windows based tablets. There are very simple development tools to port any iOS/Android application over. So simple in fact, that my standard response when I see apps for iOS/Android my response is "Am I not worth 15 minutes of your time?" (the time cost to do the build, once the tools are installed).

Which brings me to a question - any plans to make a GPS/Scout? I don't need the range of an RT plus, instead I need the long battery life of a scout.
    Kinda harsh don't you think?

He didn't say that they wouldn't do a WIN version. Just that they have iOS now and Android soon. The assumption being that if they say it will be available that they have started work or have done enough to safely say it will exist.

I would think that the cost difference of a UHF scout vs RT once you incorporate the extra GPS hardware would be minimal. In addition, you no longer have a very simply ON/OFF modulated signal. You are now sending data which has a higher bandwidth requirement so you will need extra power to give you decent range. That is where some of the battery life is going.

If it makes you feel better I don't have an iOS, Android OR Win phone. I have a clamshell that makes phone calls. So there are even less like me who did not buy their phone from the TV commercial selling phones to old people.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Kinda harsh don't you think?

He didn't say that they wouldn't do a WIN version. Just that they have iOS now and Android soon. The assumption being that if they say it will be available that they have started work or have done enough to safely say it will exist.

I would think that the cost difference of a UHF scout vs RT once you incorporate the extra GPS hardware would be minimal. In addition, you no longer have a very simply ON/OFF modulated signal. You are now sending data which has a higher bandwidth requirement so you will need extra power to give you decent range. That is where some of the battery life is going.

If it makes you feel better I don't have an iOS, Android OR Win phone. I have a clamshell that makes phone calls. So there are even less like me who did not buy their phone from the TV commercial selling phones to old people.
    I am a professional programmer - I do that work all the time. If there were plans for a Win version, its usually mentioned. I am just giving the feed back from a possible customer. Of course, it would be silly for Marshall to invest that 15 minutes for just me, since this product is too expensive for me to realize value from the investment just now. However, one of the other falconers with a Win phone IS a hardcore longwinger, easily the most hardcore one in Washington.

I know what where the battery power is going. But let me put things in perspective.

I currently use a scout transmitter. I had Marshall tune it down as far was the could in terms of beeps per minute, and I still think the thing is turned up to far. Its always in "Apollo 13 mode", and its even slower with its beeps than their off the shelf Apollo 13 mode. I go through 3 batteries a year. I was not joking when I said its rare for me to use the receiver 5 times a season. And to even reach that number I am usually helping a pal find a wayward hawk. My receiver is only on to prove it works before the flight.

Now as a programmer and innovator - I can absolutely see the game change that Robert was describing in how this tool will help rethink the game. Actually, if the GPS resolution is tight enough, I just might use it more often to confirm which @#$% tree my hawk is in rather than relying on intuition and "being one with the hawk". I can also come up with some real fun applications for this - like long term logging while my new goshawk is at hawk in my backyard.

I can absolutely think back on several of my frustrating tracking occaisions going much more smoothely with this. It would also peel the reluctance off of doing some world class stuff - like flying goshawks in goshawk woods at goshawk prey miles from the road....

This is really cool stuff - and I do look forward to the day when I can justify jumping into it.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"

I think this looks like a great product. Great innovation. As a shortwinger, I'll just have to wait for a lower cost alternative, but I look forward to that a few years down the road. I'd love to be able to drive up and pick up my hawk instead of wandering through industrial areas with a receiver. However, since I typically pull out my receiver less than 5 times a year other than to verify its operation, its tough to justify a 2 grand conversion.
    true that, nice for those that can justify truly using it
    Lew Roussel

Hi Robert,

Is the antenna length the same as for a standard RT UHF?

Thanks,
    Tanner
    Tanner

So you need to get an ipad as well to get the full working affect of this system. In order for this all to work I also need to be within 50 feet from the Pocketlink which I can have on my person. How big is the Pocketlink and what are it's specifications? You don't need a data service from a phone company for this to work I am guessing.

GPS signals come and go with cloud cover and in thick forests etc. so how does this system do in overcoming these problems? Is it still pretty reliable? Naturally, you can rely UHF which is neat.

Very exciting stuff.
    Isaac

Robert

I am a youngster to the sport and this is expensive,but holly shit it's awesome. I will turn in my recycling and eat potatoes for as long as necessary. Flying a cast with this transmitter changes everything.
    I alway sit and dwell on the flight sometimes I don't see it all. This would be a game changer for me. To be able to log flights and see how the birds flew with respect to eac other, is like going from analog to digital.

I have two questions
    1) if you pay them $995 for one transmitter what would be needed to fly two birds simultaneously, anther $995. Would there be some redundancy.
    2) has marshall ever considered incorporating a key chain camera into a transmitter, or at the very least making a camera that fits on the Trac Pack.

Thank you for providing excellent products and support. Please continue with the R&D and keep pushing the envelope.
    Jeremy

Default Engineering: Trade offs and choices

Engineering is generally about making compromises to try and best fit the task with the available technology. "You can have all you want of everything all the time" is generally restricted to politicians making campaign speeches.

The GPS satellite system is a download only data path. Acquiring the GPS position at the tag is essentially trivial. The problem comes in how you transfer the data from the tag on the raptor to the receiver at the falconer.

At this point there are two uses under discussion for a GPS locator tag.

The traditional use is long distance recovery. In Europe this is well suited to cell phone based links. You get a location on the hawk any time both the hawk and the falconer have coverage, which in Europe is almost everywhere.Cell phone coverage at both ends of everywhere is not true for North America. Lag times of a minute or two while text/SMS messages are exchanged are no real problem. Real time via a "phone call" format is possible, but "talk time" eats the battery in a hurry.

The new use of GPS locating is as a convenience/flight management tool. A direct radio link from the tag to the receiver is the better choice for real time data. The range limitation (per MRT about 3 miles down and dirty, 15 miles line of sight) is a trade off for data with a lag time in seconds rather than minutes. Battery drain for direct radio link data is moderate compared to cell phone talk time. For a given power level data can not be transmitted as far as a simple radio beep. Per Ron Clarke's question all the problems of signal being blocked or lost continue. Reflections become a non-issue. The hawk's location is contained in the data, the receiver does not care what direction the signal came from.

On the various GPS websites long distance recovery is given it's due. The "buzz" is about the convenience feature.

Marshall has chosen to go with a direct radio link, which is better suited to the convenience mode and possibly better suited to North America. They have chosen a primary battery, which is lighter than a rechargeable battery. They have chosen a smaller battery, accepting a 3 day run time as the trade off. They are the first to break the 10 gram barrier. They have included the old time radio beep, so that when the signal path becomes too long to move data you still have your ears as a back up plan.

It is up to you to decide if their choices fit your uses.
    Tom Munson, Buckeye, AZ
    619-379-2656, tom@munson.us

Excellent, thanks.

If they could only get it in a micro!
    Boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    It doesn't bother me traveling in wilderness alone. It bothers others. I think it would be a great way to die.

Inspired!

I think the "G"ps is for goosebumps .

As if the sport wasn't fun enough already Tim!
    This is going to be great!
    David Liepe

New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by dliepe View Post
    As if the sport wasn't fun enough already Tim!
    This is going to be great!
    Hi David,

over the past couple of seasons I've seen two GPS systems in use, and this one adds even more to the mix.
    As an aid to recovering a lost hawk it's a real step up from conventional telemetry, and to have all that and more contained within a standard transmitter unit is quite exceptional (I've been put off previously due to the size of the transmitter unit).
    It's not just that recovering a hawk will become simpler, quicker, and safer, but we will now know at a glance whether a hawk is actually 'lost', in need of recovery, or simply that she is out of position, or out of sight, and working her way back. No more frustrating, perhaps dangerous delays while deciding whether to set off in search or not.
    On top of all that, this mapping system, available after the event as well as during it, will enable us to learn so much about our hawk's flights and our management of them.
    It will indeed be great.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Hi David,

over the past couple of seasons I've seen two GPS systems in use, and this one adds even more to the mix.
    As an aid to recovering a lost hawk it's a real step up from conventional telemetry, and to have all that and more contained within a standard transmitter unit is quite exceptional (I've been put off previously due to the size of the transmitter unit).
    It's not just that recovering a hawk will become simpler, quicker, and safer, but we will now know at a glance whether a hawk is actually 'lost', in need of recovery, or simply that she is out of position, or out of sight, and working her way back. No more frustrating, perhaps dangerous delays while deciding whether to set off in search or not.
    On top of all that, this mapping system, available after the event as well as during it, will enable us to learn so much about our hawk's flights and our management of them.
    It will indeed be great.

Best wishes,

Tony.
    Ya, but its going to end all those physical brawls over whose falcon flies the highest. What fun is that? Longwing falconry as we know it is about to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Hi David,

It will indeed be great.

Best wishes,

Tony.
    Soooo much peace of mind with this new unit...Tony, you nailed every key point on why I'm so much looking forward to this.
    For me it's sometimes hard to tell with a bird up high wether or not it's stopped working for height. I want to serve before thier pitch flatlines, especially with a young bird in training.. Nice to know when they take that giant outrun, exactly when they turn and wether or not they are ascending or descending on the way back. Best thing to come along in awhile.. Hope it lives up to all the hype.
    David Liepe

New Jersey

Isaac,
    I sort of understand what you're trying to get at here, but there's way too much you are hoping the unit is going to do for you. As an example, just because you know what a bird is "doing" by looking at a screen, doesn't put an invisible tether on it-it can still do whatever it is going to do, whether you can see it or not, loosening the reins comes from ones confidence in the bird and the persons' training of said bird. You may not agree, but all this is leading to losing basic field mechanics and how to orchestrate flying a bird. I hardly even want to address the flush alarm component(and I realize you are going way outside the box) if you need a machine to tell you when to flush properly, it really starts to go down the toilet. In your enclosed area, a bird high enough to be out of sight is impractical, so I assume you would/should have eyes on the bird the majority of the time to be effective at all, so how is this whole going to help? Sure won't make the flush any more successful if the bird is that high.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Quote Originally Posted by falcon56 View Post
    Isaac,
    I sort of understand what you're trying to get at here, but there's way too much you are hoping the unit is going to do for you. As an example, just because you know what a bird is "doing" by looking at a screen, doesn't put an invisible tether on it-it can still do whatever it is going to do, whether you can see it or not, loosening the reins comes from ones confidence in the bird and the persons' training of said bird. You may not agree, but all this is leading to losing basic field mechanics and how to orchestrate flying a bird. I hardly even want to address the flush alarm component(and I realize you are going way outside the box) if you need a machine to tell you when to flush properly, it really starts to go down the toilet. In your enclosed area, a bird high enough to be out of sight is impractical, so I assume you would/should have eyes on the bird the majority of the time to be effective at all, so how is this whole going to help? Sure won't make the flush any more successful if the bird is that high.
    But the challenge of getting a bird that high could be fun goal to set out to achieve. I think you are thinking this younger generation is looking for short cuts and a way to fly a bird from their smart phones I am not in that boat. I don't even own a smart phone.
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post
    But the challenge of getting a bird that high could be fun goal to set out to achieve. I think you are thinking this younger generation is looking for short cuts and a way to fly a bird from their smart phones I am not in that boat. I don't even own a smart phone.
    Indeed. There is a big difference between having additional information available to you to assist you and using technology as a crutch. Surely there will be some who screw things up royally by making assumptions about how this new technology augments their skills.

This may actually convince me to ditch my flip phone. I have previously been unable to think of a convincing reason to get a smart phone since I refuse to answer (or send) text messages. If you want to talk to me then it had better be important enough to actually talk to me.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Indeed. There is a big difference between having additional information available to you to assist you and using technology as a crutch. Surely there will be some who screw things up royally by making assumptions about how this new technology augments their skills.

This may actually convince me to ditch my flip phone. I have previously been unable to think of a convincing reason to get a smart phone since I refuse to answer (or send) text messages. If you want to talk to me then it had better be important enough to actually talk to me.
    I am going to keep my "dumb" phone and get a mini I-pad just for this application.

Get this to protect it in the field I like the hunter orange color

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-Industr.../dp/B00HLA7OH4
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by BestBeagler View Post
    I think you may be missing my point here. Having this gadget is not going to either make or break that challenge, you are the only one that is able to make this happen, with or without the unit. Whatever the case, I wish you all the luck in the world with your new training tool, me, I can think of so many, much more valuable things related to falconry that I would rather spend $995 dollars on. I guess that's the "old fart" coming to the surface.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

Thread Information