Thread: 2105 Little Banded Goshawk Imprint

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by falcon3d View Post
    Day 26

Thankfully he is a lot more relaxed today and is learning to accept the tether. Still wants to sit on the end of the tray containing the perch but mostly on the perch or in the tray. The biggest challenge I am having now is the pick up. I am "carrying" the bird the garnished lure to eat which is working great. However, once the meal is eaten, do you pick up the bird with the glove using a titbit on the glove? The reason I ask is that my bird will NOT step up the glove (I usually have to tilt the perch back for him to step on the glove - which will not work if he is on the ground/basket eating off the lure. When I tried to pick him up on the glove will chitters and hangs upside down (not good). But once I flip him back on the glove he will stand still and happy as long as I keep him there.
    What I usually do is pick them up off the lure before they have eaten much, with food on the glove. You can also pick up the lure with them on it, and then sort of transfer them off to a piece you have in the glove, slipping the lure away. Then walk with them back to near the perch you hope to put them back on after the meal so that you are close to it when they get done. After you do that a few times he'll get more relaxed about the fist and you can put smaller and smaller chunks of meat on the lure and offer the majority of the meal on the fist after pick up...if that's what you want to do.
    Last edited by PeteJ; 06-17-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typos fixed
    Pete J
    It's all just too Zen for me.

Thread Information