Thread: Hello from Phoenix Arizona. License just arrived.

Default Hello from Phoenix Arizona. License just arrived.

I have been in the process of becoming licensed since the beginning of 2015 and after passing the test, then finding myself a sponsor, building my mew/gathering equipment and passing inspection, I am proud to say my license has come in and I am an official licensed falconer in the State of Arizona!! Apprentice season starts September 15 where we will be targeting a FHH. Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the great and interesting information in addition to my sponsors. Hope to keep everyone updated throughout the season!

Thanks again,
    Troy Moody
    Troy Moody

Congrats Troy, good for you man. Can't go wrong with a fhh. We'll have to sync up once it starts cooling down.
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

Thanks! and ya we definitely should. The whole year has gone extremely fast and now that I have my license and i'm all ready for the bird it seems like the season just gets further and further away haha
    Troy Moody

Ya I tried to pull the whole ya I got my license I'm a falconer ...... And my sponsor said your not a falconer until I tell the dnr you are!! Bahahahah
    Hunting, fishing ,riding every chance I get
    Jac west georgia

Congrats! I'm sure it will all be worth the work! I'm still in the process of getting scheduled for inspection, but there was a switch-up with the permit officer here in our state, which I was unaware of.

So, at the moment, all I can do is be patient. It will happen eventually. Need to keep us updated when you catch your bird!
    Jae Hanbury, Texas
    The things that we love...tell us who we are. - Thomas Aquinas

Troy, FYI the commission order can be a little unclear regarding apprentice trapping. Here it is directly from the order

"Jan 1 – Jan 31, 2013, 2014; May 1 – Dec 31, 2013, 2014 (1,2,4,5) Statewide except Yuma and La Paz counties." This is for eyas and passage raptors.

"Apprentice falconers are limited to capture of passage raptors, and they may take adult American kestrels, western screech owls, and great horned owls between Jan 1 to Jan 31 and Sept 15 to Dec 31."

The "Jan 1 to Jan 31 and Sept 15 to Dec 31" refers to the adult raptors of the species mentioned. I have clarified this with Bill Burger the falconry coordinator in the region. So what this mean is, if you have time this weekend, you can go trapping. Just thought I would pass it on
    Dan Scrivener, CVT

Really? That I thought Sep 15 this entire time.... Dang... That's awesome! Sadly it probably doesn't change my planned trapping day more than 5 days right now cause how I've scheduled everything, but I'll take 5 days sooner for sure! Thanks for letting me know! Then again, I may just have to cancel a previous engagement.... haha
    Troy Moody

Yeah I hear ya! FYI this bit:

"Jan 1 – Jan 31, 2013, 2014; May 1 – Dec 31, 2013, 2014 (1,2,4,5) Statewide except Yuma and La Paz counties." This is for eyas and passage raptors.

is for Harris hawks, for some reason that didn't copy over.

Joseph, do you still have Eva, and have you talked to Nick?
    Dan Scrivener, CVT

Hey Dan, nah...I sent her to my uncle falconer in NM for the summer and she go out a couple months in.
    I had her 3 years and I was thinkin about cutting her loose anyway. Shit happens I guess. Flying my aplo this year.

Nick still has Luna and she's molting out well.
    Wbu?
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

When I get back from my abatement contract mid sep, we should have a barbecue with the guys...including Troy, to kick off the season.
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

Sounds good to me...I can't wait until mid to late October. My gos excursion fell through so gonna fly a jack this year. Hopefully I can trap a jack vs a female but we'll see. I want to see your aplo fly for sure. Still have the hybrid?
    Dan Scrivener, CVT

Lol that sucks bout the gos. But hell yea, gonna be a good season with game numbers so high. Yup still have my hybrid but I wanto see how serious this virus is and if they have a vaccine.

We'll sync up once October comes round
    Joseph Pravongviengkham
    Phx, AZ

Dude, get out and trap! There are probably HHs in your neighborhood. Then you can have it trained and catching bunnies as soon as it "cools down"
    Ryan

Haha, naaa no hh this year. Stef might decide she might want to get an hh and I'll go out with her, but not for me. How's your "little" ferruginous doing? Out flying him yet?
    Dan Scrivener, CVT

Sorry Dan. I was talking to Troy. The ferrug is doing well but I doubt it'll catch jacks and I doubt I can flush a ton of cottontails in the wide open country that it likes to fly in. It is a cool bird though. Soared up to about 2800' and over a mile away one day on one of our first few flights. Swung the lure, and it came down like a brick. Definitely getting a female the first chance I get. But we'll see what this guy can do.
    Ryan

Ryan....if only we could have trapped that big dark female....
    -Carlos Andres R.
    www.SpecOpsTS.com

Hey, you're about 45minutes from my mothers house in Tonopah. Next time im down there perhaps we can go hawking together. Would love to hawk out in the desert, before I retreat back to my cool, rainy climate here in Washington.
    Scott Richter

Thread Information