Thread: New

Default New

Hello all, I just wanted to introduce my self and give a background story. I am currently stationed in 29 Palms, California in the Marine Corps, my family and I have been here for 1 year and enjoy it ok so far. My wife is about to graduate dental school to become a dental assistant. We are both from NC and grew up hunting or around hunting. We sort of stumbled across this lifestyle/hobby because my wife is OBSESSED with owls and one of my friends who has been around this for a while suggested we look into it. After several hours of research we couldn't find one thing that didn't excite us, so we contacted the California Hawking Club to get more information and possibly go out to a future meet to witness this first hand. We are planning on both doing this if we decide to move forward due to my inability to always be home. If anyone has any advice or wisdom to pass please we are here to learn and get acquainted with the community. Thank you for your time and look forward to talking on here!
    -William Duncan

Hello William. I grew up in Havelock and currently live in NV. Where in NC did you live?
    Lew Souder
    "The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.? Jack London

Welcome William! I am currently in Winston-Salem, NC. Find some falconers out there and go out hunting with them to get a grasp of what it is all about and then decide if it is for you and your wife. Falconry isn't just having a cute owl, it really is all about chasing game with a raptor. Also, if you all are planning on coming back to NC to live someday, you will find that falconry out there is a lot different than it is here in NC. Good luck on your journey.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi William, welcome aboard! I am pretty sure that California has a very large (relatively speaking) and active falconry club. It is a good idea to contact them & see if you and your wife could tag along on some hunts. Plenty of falconers out there that would welcome additional "beaters". That way you can get an idea of the commitment & see if this crazy lifestyle will work for you. I would imagine that being on active duty would make it very difficult, but not impossible. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Semper Fi
    Dave Baines
    Atco, NJ

Thank you, for your service William! Best wishes on your journey into falconry, it really is TOO much fun! (If there is such a thing!)
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by lewsouder View Post
    Hello William. I grew up in Havelock and currently live in NV. Where in NC did you live?

I am from Randleman, NC, I am stationed in 29 Palms California for now.
    -William Duncan

Thank you all for the replies, we do know that it will be hard for me to do this being in the military that is why we both are looking into doing this together. We understand that this is more than "owning a cute owl" I actually wasn't interested at all until I realized it was much more than housing them, the hunting is what intrigued me. Not only the hunt or the bird but we love to be outdoors.
    -William Duncan

Not only the hunt or the bird but we love to be outdoors.
    That's the hook in this I think. The bird and the varieties of outcomes and unknowns brings something to the outdoor experience that normal hunting cant touch. It has rejuvenated my spirit that's for sure. Thanks for your service and good luck in your pursuits.
    Lew Roussel

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1014 View Post
    My dad was in the Corp and stationed at Cherry Point for many years. Good luck with your falconry adventure
    Lew Souder

Thank you all for the replies, we do know that it will be hard for me to do this being in the military that is why we both are looking into doing this together. We understand that this is more than "owning a cute owl" I actually wasn't interested at all until I realized it was much more than housing them, the hunting is what intrigued me. Not only the hunt or the bird but we love to be outdoors.
    I have a couple of friends living in Riverside I may be able to put you in touch with. Of course, they fly goshawks.
    Lew Souder

Quote Originally Posted by lewsouder View Post
    I have a couple of friends living in Riverside I may be able to put you in touch with. Of course, they fly goshawks.
    That sounds great! I really appreciate that.
    -William Duncan

Both my wife and I grew up in and spent most of our lives in Albemarle. Welcome aboard. Hold on tight, the addiction sets in quickly.
    Boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    It doesn't bother me traveling in wilderness alone. It bothers others. I think it would be a great way to die.

Greetings,

A lot of good advice has already been given, the most important, get with the community and go hunting. As I suggested to another new member here, "Obtaining" your future sponsor now will be a great help as they can help you study for your test, and give you a bit of hands on experience and exposure to make sure this is the life you want.

A bit of a side note, owls are not a common hunting partner in falconry, especially here in the states, but don't let that discourage you. There is some new information becoming available, and there are some very successful owl partnerships to learn from. They are different, as myself and my wife are finding out this year ourselves, but it is possible.

With that said, you will enjoy hunting with your Red Tail or Kestrel for the first two years as well. I truly believe this form of hunting is one of the best forms of hunting for many reasons. Even the days that you don't come home with bagged quarry are usually some awesome hunting trips as the slips (missed connects during the hunt) can be quite exciting and entertaining. I got to see a rabbit quite literally jump over a harris's hawk that was going for it. The rabbit got away, but the slip was a work of art.

Ahh the 29 stumps ! welcome and Semper Fi ,was stationed in Havelock/cherry point also for 5 years
    Rob Coombs

Quote Originally Posted by vampdragon View Post
    Obtaining" your future sponsor now will be a great help as they can help you study for your test, and give you a bit of hands on experience and exposure to make sure this is the life you want.
    Thanks do you have any suggestions on getting in touch with potential sponsors?

Quote Originally Posted by robc331 View Post
    Ahh the 29 stumps ! welcome and Semper Fi ,was stationed in Havelock/cherry point also for 5 years
    Oh how I miss Lejeune the east coast is home, California is nice but I sure am glad it is temporary!
    -William Duncan

Welcome William,

Spent 23 yrs as a grunt Jarhead [60-83]. What's your MOS.........just trying to get an idea of what your life is like. You are permanent personal at the 29 stumps?

Good suggestions so far.........get acquainted with the CA falconry crowd.......see what it's about.........go on some hunts..........beat the bush if there is any left........read.........learn. Patience, in falconry like with most of life, really pays off. Best wishes and Semper Fi Brother.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Thanks do you have any suggestions on getting in touch with potential sponsors?
    I'm sorry, but I do not. I'm in Oklahoma and only know one California falconer, and have no idea how close she is to you. I would start a conversation with a California Hawking club member and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Scheib View Post
    What's your MOS
    I'm an 0861 Arty Scout and a 8002 JTAC. Yes permanent personel at 29 lol... FML.
    -William Duncan

Thread Information