Nafex members,
I am learning how to turn Wakr-style and traditional block perches on my lathe.
Eventually I hope to become skilled enough to sell perches, but at this point I don't feel my products justify the consumer paying for anything beside the wood and shipping....in short, I'll do the work if you provide the wood. That way I can gain experience with various woods and you can get a functional (if not quite artistically appealing) perch for relatively cheap.
I stole the Wakr design from Tom Smith (he's okay with me marketing my variation of his design) and they are ideal for travel as they can be broken down into 3 pieces.
I can not provide spikes as threading stainless steel rods is a pain and I don't want to absorb the cost of buying nice spikes. The traditional blocks will come pre-drilled to accommodate 1/2 diameter spikes and the Wakr perches have a nut in the base that accept 1/2 inch diameter, 13 tpi (threads per inch) bolts (I just buy a long bolt at Home Depot and grind the head off into a point to use in my perches, but these will eventually rust and have to be replaced.)
I am not sure if this offer will appeal to anyone, but I will post some photos of some of the perches I have made so far so you can see if you want to send me a chunk of wood.