Thread: D-Day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default D-Day

This is it! The day has come. I take my test tomorrow. I think I'm ready.
    Yancey Duplantis

I honestly thought the test was much easier than I was expecting. If you have put the time in, you should be in good shape. Let us know how it goes.
    Daniel Parker
    Work hard and build your dreams, or someone will hire you to build theirs.

Will do. Been hitting high 90s on all my practice exams.

Hope you do outstanding on your test tomorrow, Yancey! Fingers crossed for you! Be sure and let us know how it goes.
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Default D-Day Update!!

Woo-Hoo!! I scored a 91! On to the Mews!! One step closer.
    Yancey Duplantis

HUGE congrats, Yancey! WAY TO GO!!!!
    Deb Davis
    Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life. - Mark Twain

Sweet, onward then upward
    Lew Roussel

My facility inspection is scheduled for this coming Friday. Its getting so close, I can taste it.
    Yancey Duplantis

You aren't excited or anything, are you Yancey?
    Deb Davis

Trust me, it's all worth the wait! I'm very glad everything is getting done quick and easy for you! Good luck on your inspection!
    Jae Hanbury, Texas
    The things that we love...tell us who we are. - Thomas Aquinas

Oh yeah, I'm amped. As soon as I get through the preliminaries, I'll post some pictures of the simple (but effective) setup.

Good luck! I will be taking my test soon as well

Congrats,

We all know just how you feel.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Completed mews and equipment inspection today. All went good. I have a couple of things to take care of before 90 days, but they guaranteed me I'll have my permit by Thanksgiving. NOW I'M AMPED!
    Yancey Duplantis
    Houma, LA

Wonderful! I'm sure Thanksgiving can't get here fast enough, for you this year! Hope you trap exactly what you are hoping for in a bird. Have fun out there!
    Deb Davis

Day 7- My newly acquired male Red Tail (Tazer) FINALLY ate something tonight. He took a 1/2 mouse from my free hand. He let it hang for about 2 minutes. When he knew it was cool to devour it, he worked it in without hesitation. Being a brand new apprentice, I started wondering (worrying) if he was ever going to eat. He was kind of heavy when trapped (1070g). He's down to 958 now and has a very cool temperament. He still bates once or twice a day, mostly right when I walk in the mews. However once he's on the glove, I can walk around with him, feel his keel (which is sharp), touch his feet and adjust his anklets, weigh him multiple times if I care to, etc. I'm hoping tomorrow he'll take the other half the mouse off the glove. After that, I'll progressively move further and further back with the whistle, a tap on the glove and a half mouse. Once I get out 20 feet, I'll move back in with turkey neck strip tidbits and start the progress over. Tazer was VERY reluctant to take any food from me for a week. I guess all birds have their own personality. However, just having the opportunity to spend time with this creature is mind boggling. Everybody that stopped to take a look can't believe that something that was so wild a little over a week ago can just sit there without trying to escape and take my eyes out. Truly an awesome experience. I can't wait until the training really takes off. Taking that first meal from my hand is an experience worth remembering.

Yancey Duplantis
    South Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Windsong56 View Post
    Day 7- . . . Taking that first meal from my hand is an experience worth remembering.
    It's something you will always remember for sure! Enjoy your journey with this bird!
    Deb Davis

Thanks. I'll probably be more interested in the bird on the perch rather than the bird on the table (with fixings). Lol

Woohoo! Sponsor went trapping and caught a beautiful male redtail. I'm helping to man the bird. What an experience! I'm able to take up and put down on perch and scale for weighing quite easily. Only bated once this morning. I hope to have him make his first jump to the glove this weekend (hopefully tonight). His name is Tazer and he's weighing in at 1025g.

Wow! After 11 LONG days, my male passage RT finally jumped to the glove. It was (is) a true test of patience. 11 days for the first jump, 30 seconds for the second jump. Hopefully progression will be steady and timely now. I'm really enjoying the ride.
    Yancey Duplantis
    South Louisiana

Default First Kill

Happy Holidays everyone (late). Yesterday was a great day. My passage Male Redtail Tazer made his debut pursue and seize his very first gray squirrel. Man, he did not want to let it go! After dispatching the squirrel myself, I covered it with a towel and after MUCH tugging and swapping, I was able to get it from him. He was able to take it in less than 5 seconds once the little critter busted into a full blown sprint. I'm happy and pleased.

Yancey Duplantis
    Houma, LA.

Huge congrats on your first squirrel, Yancey! Way to go, Tazer! Great way to start out the new year!

Might want to discuss trading off with your sponsor a little more, as there shouldn't be any tugging involved when you trade off. If you're tugging/pulling to get the kill, Tazer might consider that stealing. He should choose to release the prey and go to the trade off item. Your sponsor can explain this to you much better than I can, I'm sure.
    Deb Davis

Congrats on first kill I was wondering how you were doing.

As Deb said trade offs should be developed into a routine thing and go pretty smoothly. If they don't a training handshake from the bird is bound to happen
    Lew Roussel

Thanks. I sure will. Also, all I had for trade off was strips of beef heart. Now I'll have a partial squirrel leg, fur and all. That may help.

Definitely discuss with your sponsor.

I use the lure to trade off with my Redtail when on a kill. I toss it out and sometimes she'll go right for it. Other times I have to let her grab the lure with one foot and cover the kill with my bag while her attention is focused on the lure.
    Dennis H.
    General Falconer

Thanks Dennis. I'll give that a shot. Much appreciated.

Thread Information